PDA

View Full Version : Do I need FOOD GRADE Aloe Vera?

Stelmaria
March 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I have been spritzing my hair before bed with a mixture of Aloe Vera gel and water, then sealing with coconut oil. It has been wonderfully moisturizing, not crunchy like when I tried it with straight AVG. Now I'm wondering if I should be using the food grade stuff for better results. It's quite expensive, so I wanted to find out whether anyone else has noticed a difference between the tube gel and food grade stuff, and whether it is worth the huge price difference. Also, is there a noticeable difference it I use Aloe Vera juice instead of watered down gel?

IndigoInk
March 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I bought the one that I've seen suggested on here a lot, it's by Fruit of the Earth has no alcohol and is clear instead of fake green or blue :P

I personally like it quite a bit.

Stelmaria
March 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks IndigoInk! I use the Walgreens brand, clear, no alcohol. It's probably the same as Fruit of the Earth. So I take it that most ladies here don't use the food grade type that you have to refrigerate?

Silverlox
March 14th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Nope, I don't use the overly expensive food grade AVG. I got the one with no dyes, no alcohol, 99% pure for external use. I tend to see my hair and scalp as external. :p

Regarding coconut oil, I do use the food grade one, but only because I couldn't find the unrefined at my health food store. The non-food grade is supposedly better for your hair but shouldn't be eaten as the long chains of fatty acids aren't good for your health.

Stelmaria
March 15th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Silverlox, I did not know that about non-food grade coconut oil being better. I will have to look for that. I just recently switched from unrefined to refined because I didn't like the way coconut oil smells the next day. And to my surprise the refined worked better on my hair. Maybe it has a smaller molecule, but for whatever reason it was better able to penetrate my strands.

Thanks for the advice!

Silverlox
March 15th, 2009, 02:07 AM
You're welcome! :flower:

And yes, one of the differences between unrefined and food grade coconut oil is that the unrefined has a distinct coconut smell, think Hawaiian Tropic sun tan lotion. :p
The refined, or food grade, has no particular scent at all, at least not one that my nose reacts to in any way.

icydove
March 15th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I tried the Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel that had to be refrigerated, but I didn't think it worked as well as the Fruit of the Earth kind and I couldn't stand the smell. I hate that the FOTE has preservatives and such, but I haven't found a better substitute I can live with.

burns_erin
March 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I use food grade (or actual plants when i can get my hands on it) and it works well for me. But I only really go there because I have really severe skin sensitivities.

creativehoney
May 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I found some aloe Vera gel in our medicine cabinet, but its for sunburns there isn't any alcohols in it but it has lidocaine in it a topical analagesic.
Is that an ingredient in aloe or should I find an a different kind?

SimplyLonghair
May 13th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I found some aloe Vera gel in our medicine cabinet, but its for sunburns there isn't any alcohols in it but it has lidocaine in it a topical analagesic.
Is that an ingredient in aloe or should I find an a different kind?
Find a different one. Lidocaine is not part of aloe. It is not something that I would want on my hair either. :rolleyes:

tooqute2nv
May 13th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I've always enjoyed using aloe vera on sun burns, and from the actual aloe vera plant on my hands, but I'd never thought to put it on my scalp and hair!! :o

So what are the brands that everybody uses?? Food grade, or not??

The Fruit of the Earth one isn't actually "pure" aloe vera, but is still okay to use?

SimplyLonghair
May 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I use both FOTE and a liquid aloe that is food grade. I think that it is called Georges but not sure. I use them for different things. I even used the liquid aloe in a face cream that I made. It works wonderfully.:D

Mabel Grey
May 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Silly question. What is the aloe used for when you apply it to your hair?

Heavenly Locks
May 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Silly question. What is the aloe used for when you apply it to your hair?

As far as I know, it is used as an ingredient in a moisture treatment that is rinsed out. Also it can be used as a 'gel' to tame fly aways and make braids look neat. :)

Mabel Grey
May 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM
As far as I know, it is used as an ingredient in a moisture treatment that is rinsed out. Also it can be used as a 'gel' to tame fly aways and make braids look neat. :)

Thank you, so much. Will have to try, since I always wear a braid. 8)