PDA

View Full Version : celtic knot woes

birthmarkie
March 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone, I've looked through all the threads, tutorials, and videos on the celtic knot (sometimes known as double-knot or nautilus it seems). It is clear that I need more hair to do it right, but I am trying to understand the technique and I have enough hair (I think) if I do it as a half-up.

My question is this: I get through all the beginning steps, make my second loop, and pull it through. Then I get stuck. I'm getting a loopy circle with a loop in the middle of it. I don't know where to go from there.

Do I insert the stick on top of loop 1 and bring it out on top of loop 2? Or start below loop 1 and end below loop 2?

Or do I insert the stick on top of loop 2 and bring it out on top of loop 1? Or start below loop 2 and end below loop 1?

I hope my question is clear. I could be wrong all together. I just can't think about it any more on my own. Brain hurts.

atlantaz3
March 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I play around with this style also. What I just did for a half up was make the single knot (make the loop draw tail through), tuck the tail under the knot (wrapped around hair if necessary). Then poke stick through like a normal bun (Stick in hair, slide point of stick to outside of bun, grab some scalp hair and reverse the stick back through the bun). I don't even think about which part of the bun the stick is in.

birthmarkie
March 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I play around with this style also. What I just did for a half up was make the single knot (make the loop draw tail through), tuck the tail under the knot (wrapped around hair if necessary). Then poke stick through like a normal bun (Stick in hair, slide point of stick to outside of bun, grab some scalp hair and reverse the stick back through the bun). I don't even think about which part of the bun the stick is in.

Interesting, thank you! I will try that tomorrow!!

KarenLynn
March 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM
As far as I know, people do either. Some insert the stick in loop 1 and exit in loop 2, some do it the other way around. There really isn't a right and a wrong way, just do whatever holds well and looks good to you.

Briar
March 15th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I think the Nautilus is something different than the Celtic/Double Knot. I can vouch for Hypnotica's how-to video as being a very clear guide to the Nautilus, but I've never tried the Celtic/Double.

Finoriel
March 15th, 2009, 02:29 AM
There really is no right or wrong, do it the way you like the outcome most. There are also different ways to place the loops to each other. It seems like every tutorial is slightly different, reflecting the favourite way of the tutorial writer to pin it. So the celtic knot - double looped knot - KarenLynn knot are all made with the same thought of a crochet stitch and just pinned differently.

The nautilus or inside-out bun is something completely different. Itīs a self supporting bun for very long hair. Tailbone or classic or even longer is required to do it correct. Hypnotica posted a nice video with a modification of the nautilus for shorter hair, somehow a hybrid of nautilus and lazy wrap bun who both start out similar.

Just donīt let it confuse you :) there are so many tutorials available and most buns have more than one name.

birthmarkie
March 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Thank you all so much for your help and advice! It took the self-induced pressure off!

This morning I made a few more attempts and the most successful one is below. My second loop is tiny as a result of my hair length, which makes it impossible to do anything with it at this point other than to hold it up with a hairstick. I wove the stick through and it all stayed put. Otherwise the second loop collapses. This is a style that I look forward to growing into. It doesn't look exactly like I would like for it to right now, but it is a bit different from the other buns I can do :)

(sorry if the size is large, the resize feature didn't kick in right away)
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/birthmarkie/000_2279.jpg

birthmarkie
March 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I forgot to add: please post pictures you may have of your own versions! Thanks! :)