PDA

View Full Version : 9yo formal hair hassles

homeschoolmama
March 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry I haven't been online in what seems like forever - we've had an incredibly busy time & my computer has crashed twice, and finally been replaced.

My 9yoDD & I are sitting here nursing sore scalps right now. We've been working on updos all afternoon, and could use an opinion or two... for HER hair, pretty please? She is an usher at my sister's wedding & the big date is 3 weeks away and we just can't find anything to do for her hair.

Her hair is at would-be BSL, is quite thick, (3.5" ponytail circumference) and has a terrible tendency to tangle hopelessly within 5 minutes of brushing. Oh, and it does NOT hold a curl, no matter what kind of spray we try. Because of the tangling though, there is no WAY she's gonna wear her hair down for a 7-hour wedding/reception. But because she's 9, we're having a tough time finding something that doesn't look too little girl OR too grown-up. Any thoughts?

I have tried:
rope braids - won't stay in
rose bun - hair isn't long enough
lace braids - won't stay neat long enough
crown braids - I'm not quite talented enough - messy results
cinnamon buns - would work, but requires a metric ton of pins (and pins hurt her head)
and finally a braided bun.

The braided bun worked & holds with a minimum number of pins... but it looked just a bit severe (?) on her. Do you think that if we were to do the braided bun, but fill it with flower or gemstone-studded bobby pins it wouldn't look quite as old on her? Or does anyone have any OTHER ideas for hair that defies all attempts at neatness? I'm afraid that wispies are just out... by the end of the night her whole head will be a mass of wispies regardless of what we do or how many pins we use anyway, and starting out with them just makes any style we try last for even less time.

Thanks so much :)
love,
mom

oneKnight
March 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe her hair is too clean is why it won't stay up or hold position?
I know even mainstream hairdressers want at least day-old hair and not fresh washed because too clean = too slick.

KaeleyAnne
March 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The braided bun, especially with sparklies or flowers would look cute.

Another possibility would be to pull the top part of the hair back (like you were doing a half-up style), braid it until it reaches the base of the head, then add the rest of the hair into the braid.

Yet another possibility would be to do a flipped/topsy pony-tail and then braid the tail part. I think that her hair would be long enough for that.

A simple braid can always be dressed up with a ribbon, flowers, or something sparkly.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll post examples of the two hairstyles I suggested, because I don't think I explained them very clearly.

invisiblebabe
March 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
How about a Princess Anne braid?

http://2good2lose.com/braid-princessanne.shtml

Carolyn
March 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I like the idea of the braided bun with flowers. Either that or something with the Topsy Tail. It's probably most important that her hair looks nice and neat for the pictures and the wedding. I wouldn't worry too much about how it's going to look by the end of the reception.

Isilme
March 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
just a regular french braid or dutch braid? Or maybe you could do a peacock twist and hold it with a cute flexi 8 or something similar.

Heavenly Locks
March 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM
The princess anne would be beautiful with some pretty decorations!

Roseate
March 14th, 2009, 10:10 PM
What about a sock bun? The elastics do most of the work of holding the hair up, so those hold with a minimum of pins and can be decorated in a variety of ways.

The princess anne is also cute, if your braiding skills and her sitting-still skills are up to it.

Nat242
March 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Decorated braided bun, princess ann braids, or a french twist maybe?

kwaniesiam
March 14th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Another vote for a sock bun, and braid the rest to wrap around if you can. Sock buns mostly hold themselves up, just a few pins to keep the rest in place.Then accent with flowers to match the dress, that way it isn't too severe looking.

Silverlox
March 14th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Have you looked in the Articles section, the updo tutorial part? I know that Angelthadiva has posted several updos made on her daughter. Perhaps one of those would work well? :flower:

andrea1982
March 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
You could try this style

http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/x-o-braid/

It's basically just french braiding, but instead of braiding just two sections down, you divide the sections in four and cross one braid over the other, then fold them up. I've seen pics where people have used flowers or baby's breath to fill in the "holes" in the style as well. If you choose braiding of some sort, it also may help the braids to stay longer/look nicer if you oil her hair a bit too.. Good luck!

WavyGirl
March 15th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I forget which site I got this from years ago, but it's easy to do and looks classy and unusual. You could dress it up even more with ribbons or flowers. As you can see it's just lots of small cinnabuns arranged in a crown.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/wavygirl/balletstyle6.jpg

ETA: When I do it I concentrate on getting the partings neat before I start doing the buns so it looks a bit tidier.

eaglesflight
March 15th, 2009, 08:56 AM
You say you wanted something similar to a braided bun. Have you ever tried making a bun out of a rope-braid? Depending on which direction you twist the hair when bunning it you can get little loops in the bun or you can get bigger, soft-looking loops.

Masara
March 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM
You say her hair is too short for a rose bun. (that's a bun from a rope braid, right?) When my hair was too short, I would do two rope braid instead. That made each braid thinner, so it worked.

My dd (she's nearly 8 ) wanted a "wedding style" for a birthday party on Saturday. She's got very fine BSL (well, whatever on an 8 year old) hair. I put it into two french braids like in the beginning of the princess anne explanation. But once I had finished the "french" part, I put an elastic on to make a ponytail. Then I made two rope braids and bunned them. She likes the look of a rope braid bun, and the side french braids take away the severity of pulled back hair and, most importantly, keep whispies under control.

homeschoolmama
March 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Thank you SO much everyone!

After a weekend of trying & crying absolutely everything we could find, I think we've got it. The braided bun ended up looking tangled after an hour, as did just about everything else we tried. But finally we found something that holds... and looks pretty.

We found THIS (http://hair4myprincess.blogspot.com/2009/02/diagonal-double-dutch-braids.html) style online. While I'm not nearly experienced enough to do this with dutch braids, I CAN do it with french braids. We're going to try doing it this week with french braids as well as french-style "stacked" topsy-tails to see which holds longest, and are planning to secure the back with a big pink flower-barrette (that would hide any wispies that come loose from the lower braids) along with a few diamond clippies along the crown for extra sparkle.
love,
mom

neenerbabe
March 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
What about something akin to this? It would look cute on a girl her age. http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyling/braidedbun.jpg

WavyGirl
March 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Thank you SO much everyone!

After a weekend of trying & crying absolutely everything we could find, I think we've got it. The braided bun ended up looking tangled after an hour, as did just about everything else we tried. But finally we found something that holds... and looks pretty.

We found THIS (http://hair4myprincess.blogspot.com/2009/02/diagonal-double-dutch-braids.html) style online. While I'm not nearly experienced enough to do this with dutch braids, I CAN do it with french braids. We're going to try doing it this week with french braids as well as french-style "stacked" topsy-tails to see which holds longest, and are planning to secure the back with a big pink flower-barrette (that would hide any wispies that come loose from the lower braids) along with a few diamond clippies along the crown for extra sparkle.
love,
mom

That's a really cute style. I like the diagonal twist to it. Makes it something unusual while still sticking with a known skill set. Great choice. I'm sure she'll look lovely.