PDA

View Full Version : Decided to cut. Shoud I donate?

gordonse
April 1st, 2008, 09:53 AM
I've decided I'm going to cut my tailbone length hair. Probably back to BSL. I've waited more than two weeks to make this decision. The length I have now is just feeling overwhelming to manage. Anyway, I've only heard bad things about locks of love from this site, but I feel like if I'm going to cut it anyway, shouldn't I do something useful with it? Is there somewhere other than locks of love that I could donate to?

Islandgrrl
April 1st, 2008, 09:58 AM
I've heard about Pantene's program (http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/index.jsp) - it's supposed to be better than LOL.

Good luck with your cut. I hope you love it!

Arashi
April 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
If everything else fails(if you can't find a decent-enough looking organization), and if you really want a charitable outcome from this, you could possibly sell the hair and then donate the money to a charity of your choice? I honestly don't know how one would go about selling their hair, though.. sorry..

heidi w.
April 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
My understanding from the NY Times article last fall is that the Pantene program is reputable. This program intends to directly serve women with cancer, I believe.

Make sure to NOT cut the hair wet and baggie it!! Wet hair molds.

heidi w.

Carolyn
April 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
Why not just keep it as a momento of a time when you had longer hair? Maybe you could have a little braid made, or make it yourself to wrap the base of your ponytail? It's hard to find perfectly matching hair if you want one of those little wrap thingies.

Kittee
April 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM
April fools?

gordonse
April 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM
April fools?

Sorry, it's not a joke.

I could keep the cut off hair, but I'm really trying to simplify my life right now and I already keep way to much stuff. I'm probably going to grow it back out eventually anyway, so I'm not too worried about missing it. I just figure if someone else could benefit from it, then that would be preferable to trashing it?

Does anyone know anything about www.wigsforkids.org

lora410
April 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM
You can give it to me ,and then I will magically attach it to my length :lol: A girl can wish right?:D

Nightshade
April 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
There was another or on here that made mats to absorb oil spills out of hair.

IRRC Wigs for Kids is better than LoL, but I don't have any specific info for you.

Anlbe
April 1st, 2008, 11:56 AM
If you're going to cut your hair why don't you have it made into a piece? Then you can double your hair whenever you want to.

Anje
April 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM
I looked up Wigs for Kids the other day on BBB. They aren't rated particularly well, unfortunately.

Depending on the quality of your hair, there's probably a wig maker available who will buy it from you. You could then donate the money to whatever cause you wish.

heidi w.
April 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
I do know that Wigs for Kids, or was it Wigs4Kids, had issues not unlike LoL for a time.

http://charityreports.bbb.org/public/Report.aspx?CharityID=755
So I just went to the Better Business Bureau, bbb.org and searched for Wigs for Kids under the Charities section....and they have financial problems in terms of meeting the standards of fiduciary best practices for a nonprofit.

"Standard 8 : Program Service Expense Ratio - Spend at least 65% of its total expenses on program activities.

WFK does not meet this Standard because according to the organization's reviewed financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2006, the organization spent $109,950 or 60% of its total expenses ($182,829) on program service activities. "

and

"Standard 13 : Accuracy of Expenses in Financial Statements - Accurately report the charity's expenses, including any joint cost allocations, in its financial statements. For example, audited or unaudited statements which inaccurately claim zero fund raising expenses or otherwise understate the amount a charity spends on fund raising, and/or overstate the amount it spends on programs will not meet this standard.

WFK does not meet this Standard because the Alliance believes the organization's reviewed financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2006 inaccurately report total fund raising expenses. The statements report total Special Event income as $245,396, with $176,348 netted out as “Expenses.“ After questioning this expense amount, the Alliance was informed that “Expenses“ includes both the cost of direct benefits of those attending the event, and the cost of soliciting participants. In the Alliance's opinion, the cost of soliciting individuals to attend a special event is a fund raising expense, and should be reported as such in the financial statements. In the charity's response, their accountant indicated that, of the $176,348 in special event expenses, $147,564 was benefiting the participants, and $28,784 was related to soliciting participants.To amend this finding, the Alliance has requested WFK's assurance that the revised functional breakdown will be distributed with the 2006 financial statements."

Here's the link to the various hits received when searching Wigs For Kids charities on BBB.
http://www.us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePage.aspx?site=113&id=5fe39041-face-4ffb-8551-1ace558f9082

This website is helpful in identifying charities that comply with best practices for Standards of Accountability as it regards financial management of the nonprofit. Remember, a nonprofit status by the IRS of 501(c)3 is a means by which the organization is classified as serving some sector of the public for the 'good' of that community served. In exchange for not paying business taxes and the like, the agreement in a 501(c)3 status is complete transparency of its financial practices which includes its partnerships, monies received, programs and money spent on those programs, fundraising activities, and reporting. Depending on the size of the nonprofit they can report as infrequently as every other year which is why you would then see, in the case of Wigs for Kids, year 2006 shown.

Personally I tend to like the Pantene program because it serves grown women who often, in addition to their cancer treatment, still have to go to work in support of themselves and/or their families, and they really need to look 'presentable' in this social context. I am NOT saying that going 'bald' or with a scarf/hat or other possible way to 'present' is wrong, but many women feel more comfortable with a wig in such a situation. This in turn, directly and definitely supports children and families.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5090&en=188afa9ebe572df0&ex=1346731200&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
this is the Locks of Love article printed by the NY Times back in Sept. 6, 2007

This is the link to the COMPANION ARTICLE which overviews a few possible options, including Pantene Beautiful Lengths.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06lockside.html?_r=1&ref=fashion&oref=slogin

heidi w.

chloeishere
April 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
I've also heard good things about Pantene Beautiful Lengths. They've made quite a few wigs already, IIRC, and they give them to women with cancer, they don't sell them at a reduced price, like LoL.
I definitely wouldn't donate to LoL, but I would definitely consider Beautiful lengths. There is also the oil spill clean up place, but as they will take hair in ANY condition, I think that hair in good condition is better sent to a place that can only use hair in good condition. I'm pretty sure there isn't a minimum length requirement with the oil spill place either, so if you are going to chop off a foot or so at once, I would probably send it to a wig making place.

And yes, you could also sell the hair you are cutting and use the money towards any charity. It's up to you!

Eirinn
April 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM
Haven't you thought about cutting to waist instead of BSL? It's a bit more convinient than tailbone I think but still long..

sweetlidlred
April 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
I just wanted to say, Thanks for your kindness. It sounds like you have thought this through, and your BSL hair will still be beautiful. I think you should be commended for wanting to make a dontation to a hair charity. God bless you for your kindness and may somebody or somebodies child, receive your hair.

Lixie
April 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
They don't make wigs, but they clear up oil spills with donated hair. http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html :flower:

Flaxen
April 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Scatter it outside, and birds will use it in their nests. If you have a problem with moles in your yard, a clump of hair in their tunnel is *supposed* to deter them (or maybe they just dig another tunnel, lol).

hazelceleste
April 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
There was another or on here that made mats to absorb oil spills out of hair.

http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html ;)

Personally, I like the hairpiece idea, though. You could probably make a really nice bun rat or some clip in hair extensions.

Sidani
April 1st, 2008, 10:49 PM
I'm so glad I read this post. I have some of my own hair that isn't really suitable to donate to any of the wig foundations, but would be ideal for hair toys for me. I'd never thought of that before. I hated sending it to the "mat" folks because it's in such good condition... it's just various lengths. Does anyone know of any tutorials on making your 'own hair' hair toys?

I hope you enjoy your new hair style, gordonse. I remember how free it was having shorter hair... and ever so much easier!

JUSTAGIRL
April 2nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
I have been growing for about 3 years now...Also am dealing with 3 family members with various types and stages of cancer. I never thought I'd consider cutting it before, but know it will grow again. I am leaning toward Pantene Great Lengths...My mom also was a long hair wearer for many years, and she is supportive. She lost a sister to breast cancer and would have done anything to make her feel good about herself, even have made a wig of her own hair. It meant something to grow it when I started, to see if I could do it. And now I think means something to give back for wigs. Seeing loved ones suffer is part of it for me, but I seriously think it depends on the person. I will go the length to donate, probably just shoulders.

longhairedfairy
April 2nd, 2008, 12:04 AM
That oil spill cleaning thing is really, really cool! (You could send loose hairs from brushing/combing as well couldn't you? And they accept old nylons, too!) So is giving it to the birds, of course. I love the birdies! :D

gordonse
April 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
I just want to say thank for all of the support and ideas. I think I've decided to go with the Pantene program. I'm going to go take the plunge tonight. I'll try to post pictures later. Hopefully my hair will be even more healthy and beautiful when it grows out this time. I've made some very positive changes since discovering TLHC.

kc
April 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
If you have really decided to cut, go to the Pantene Great Lengths website. I know that you can donate there too.

gordonse
April 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ok. Here are the pictures. I actually really like it. I was a little bit afraid that I was going to hate it. The ends feel so much healthier. Hopefully I can keep them in good condition. I had about 10 braided inches to donate.

Before
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/gordonse/P4020071WinCE-1.jpg

After
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/gordonse/P4020076WinCE-1.jpg

JUSTAGIRL
April 2nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
I am going to wait a few more weeks...Am just fresh from a trim I got for neatness sake. I am not sure if I measured properly per definition used here at LHC, but will have more than 28 to start from for the cutting... My sister has cut my hair (she's licensed professionally) since I was 14 and I'm 37 now...She's the only one I trust to do it.

Arianwen
April 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Why not donate $ instead?

edit: too late?

JUSTAGIRL
April 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Still looks gorgeous!

kwaniesiam
April 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Very pretty! You can always grow it back again, and I'm sure your hair will be put to good use.

Sidani
April 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Wow! I think it looks beautiful! That's almost exactly how mine was cut and I loved it. When it grew back out, it was much healthier. I hope you love it!

wintersun99
April 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM