PDA

View Full Version : If you can see through the ends...

Darkhorse1
March 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
...it's time to trim.

I read this many years ago. That if you can see through the ends of your hair, it's time to trim them.

Do you agree with this? I thought it was good advice, until I realized that our hair doesn't grow out evenly. So, if you are growing long hair, every time you see through your ends, you'd be cutting away your growth.

I have a new theory now. I wait about two months and if I can still see through my ends, or if they are looking very broken/split, then I go and get my mini trim :)

CindyLea1
March 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
If that was the case, I'd have cut mine awhile ago. See avatar. Or check out the bigger picture on my profile page.

I agree that if you have a million splits, and bad damage, you might as well hack them off and have a fresh start. Bad damage will give you more damage, and tangly ends. At least in my opinion.

I tend to just S&D my ends here and there. I MIGHT do a major trim when I get to mid thigh or knee. But, then I happen to like the "fairytail ends"; and they stay up in buns better for me than blunt thick ends.

After all that; I guess I just mean "To each their own" :D But, not for me...just yet.

patience
March 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I'd never make it past BSL.

:)

OhioLisa
March 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
As an iii who likes a blunt hemline, that rule might apply for you. For the rest of us, however, not so much.

Speckla
March 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I can always see through my ends. My hair pulls up and curls unevenly so I can see through my ends even if I just had a trim and the length was even when pulled straight.
________
MONTANA MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://montana.dispensaries.org/)

AmyJorgensen
March 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I like a blunt hemline too.

Cinnamon Hair
March 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM
No, not at all. Being able to see through your ends does not indicate damage. When your ends begin fairytaling it just means you have some hairs that are growing faster than others or, less likely, you are approaching terminal length. Unless the ends are tangling more (and you have already tried clarifying or deep conditioning to fix it), there are a lot of splits at the tips, or you don't like the way it looks, there is no reason to trim.

Carolyn
March 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Sounds like the typical thing you would hear from a professional stylist who wants you to come in for lots of haircuts and services :nono: More trims = more money for her/him.

Finoriel
March 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Oh luckily I canīt see through the ends of my hair :D they are behind me.
:wink: What anyone else may see Iīm not much worried about.

Heidi_234
March 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
LOL you're always so funny! :laugh:
Anyway, I agree with the rest - it's a bad bad rule to follow if you're trying to grow out long hair. Especially if you're aiming for terminal - the more cuts and trims you make the shorter your terminal length is.

jera
March 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I used to agree with that, but my hair has finally started to improve so since our hair doesn't grow evenly I'm going to let it run and see how far it grows. :p If my hair were as long as yours though, I probably wouldn't mind trimming it a bit.

How do YOU feel about? That's the important thing. It's your hair after all. :)

Forever_Sophie
March 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Well, layers can lead to the same effect...And it is, of course, a personal choice, but I sort of agree. That's why I'll be trimming mine soon.

eresh
March 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Especially if you're aiming for terminal - the more cuts and trims you make the shorter your terminal length is.

Really?? I don't believe this is true.:confused:
Hmmmm, I bet EdG will know the answer.

Heidi_234
March 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Really?? I don't believe this is true.:confused:
Hmmmm, I bet EdG will know the answer.
Well it's only logical. Terminal length is the length the hair gains until it falls out. So if during the time the hair grows you trim it a total of say 5", then when the hair reaches its terminal length (stops growing), it's supposedly 5" shorter than it could be if you wouldn't have trimmed.
Of course, trims are sometimes necessary for long healthy mane, so some length might be lost either way.

Darkhorse1
March 14th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Oh, I don't follow that theory--I was curious to get your input on it.

I like a blunt hemline, but as my hair gets longer, I can 'see' through my ends more.

I think it's a good ploy to get people to the salon. I know I read this back in the mid/late 90s, and it was along the lines of if you want to have long hair, the 'rule' of thumb was that when it started to get thin at the ends, to trim it. I didn't believe that and I still don't. I think it was a ploy to get people to cut their hair.

Heidi_234
March 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Oh, I don't follow that theory--I was curious to get your input on it.

I like a blunt hemline, but as my hair gets longer, I can 'see' through my ends more.

I think it's a good ploy to get people to the salon. I know I read this back in the mid/late 90s, and it was along the lines of if you want to have long hair, the 'rule' of thumb was that when it started to get thin at the ends, to trim it. I didn't believe that and I still don't. I think it was a ploy to get people to cut their hair.
It's the same as the "if you want long hair, trim 1/3" every two months". Following that rule I grew my hair from APL to midback for 10 years. Yeah really. :angry:
Want to grow it long? trim as little as possible, and avoid hair salons altogether.

Finoriel
March 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
LOL you're always so funny! :laugh:

:gabigrin: Not always.

:wink:

Especially if you're aiming for terminal - the more cuts and trims you make the shorter your terminal length is.

...Terminal length is the length the hair gains until it falls out. So if during the time the hair grows you trim it a total of say 5", then when the hair reaches its terminal length (stops growing), it's supposedly 5" shorter than it could be if you wouldn't have trimmed...

In one way you are right Heidi, if hair was cut/trimmed itīs not reaching itīs real terminal length.
But viewed the other way round, it is only an artificial terminal length which is created when trimming the hair.
The hair itself or better the follicle īproducingī that hair originally grows the hair to itīs terminal length, not īknowingī that it was trimmed at the other end.
True terminal length vs. artificial terminal length I guess.

And true terminal length is not set in stone either. With age, general health, nutrition or hormonal changes it can also become shorter or longer over the years.

Juneii
March 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
if that's true then I'd feel sorry for the people with thin or light colored hair, they would need to shave their head bald.

EdG
March 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
In one way you are right Heidi, if hair was cut/trimmed itīs not reaching itīs real terminal length.
But viewed the other way round, it is only an artificial terminal length which is created when trimming the hair.
The hair itself or better the follicle īproducingī that hair originally grows the hair to itīs terminal length, not īknowingī that it was trimmed at the other end.
True terminal length vs. artificial terminal length I guess.

And true terminal length is not set in stone either. With age, general health, nutrition or hormonal changes it can also become shorter or longer over the years.Yes, that's my interpretation too. True terminal length is determined by the duration of the follicle's growth cycle. Trimming produces hairs shorter than terminal length.

Terminal length can change over time: I've been experiencing a shortening of terminal length for about the last decade. :(

As for seeing through the ends, I wouldn't have made it past waist-length if I were concerned about seeing through the ends. :twocents:
Ed

eadwine
March 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I like blunt hemlines and I'd most likely cut it if I could see through it.

Of course I don't know if I would actually do that, considering my hair hasn't been in the see through stage yet, so wait and see. But I prefer blunt, 4 or 5 measly hairs at the ends are not my thing.

jojo
March 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
With me yes this is true, in fact this week alone i have trimmed about just short of an inch off. I find when my ends are see through, there are more splits and I find it difficult to comb.

I notice it more in summer as the sun lightens my ends, no matter what i do (except wear a hat) and this results in damamge but id say in finner haired people its just part of their texture, I think it looks quite beautiful in finner haired people.

Akiko
March 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I prefer a blunt hemline on me.

However, I realized having a blunt hemline is not so important since I wear my hair up most of the time. My ends are always hidden in a bun. So I don't trim just because I can see through. I will start trimming regularly once I reach my goal.

Cinnamon Hair
March 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Well it's only logical. Terminal length is the length the hair gains until it falls out. So if during the time the hair grows you trim it a total of say 5", then when the hair reaches its terminal length (stops growing), it's supposedly 5" shorter than it could be if you wouldn't have trimmed.
Of course, trims are sometimes necessary for long healthy mane, so some length might be lost either way.

While I understand your reasoning and it is true of the hair that was longest when you trimmed trimming once 6 months ago does not effect your terminal length 2 years from now, for example. The hair that you trimmed will never grow as long as it could have, if left untrimmed all its life. But there are many hairs allover your head of varying lengths reaching from the ends to the scalp. Those hairs were not trimmed when you evened up the ends, because they were too short. So 6 months, 2 years, however long from now they will be at the ends. And they will still be uncut. Unless you trim again.

What I'm trying to say is, overall terminal length of every hair on your head is not affected by trimming. You only shorten the terminal length of the hairs that were the longest when you trimmed.

PurpleRays
March 14th, 2009, 10:10 PM
A blunt hemline works well for me....as soon as my ends start to thin I clean it up. For some odd reason it makes my hair look fuller.

sneakybea
March 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I kind of follow this advice; but then again, I am mostly working on maintenance rather than growing longer right now. And I've gotten compliments (here, mostly) on how thick my ends are, so I want to keep them that way.

Arctic_Mama
March 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I find that sort of advice usually peddled by long hair haters, hairdressers, and critical family members ;)

I think it depends on so many factors, from your hair's natural thickness and composition, style or end preference, and what length you're trying to achieve. Beyond a certain length it is unlikely most people would be able to keep really blunt ends, just by the nature of terminal, but that varies wildly depending on the hair. I like semi-blunt ends on me, but I also know I can maintain them a lot longer than someone with less hair. That certainly doesn't mean their hair is less healthy than mine. Mine, and in the end health is what dictates whether or not I trim.

But since my hair is healthy and I am going for terminal or calf, whatever comes first, I completely disregard 'well meaning' advice like that :)

Missie
March 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I think on some people, the seeing through the ends problem os because the canopy is straight hair but the hair underneath is is a distinct S wave, making it shorter. That's how my hair works anyway

gallows_gallery
March 15th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Ouch! If that was true I'd almost have to go back to a bob...which I am ALMOST considering!

I'd love to start again - no dye, no damage! But the shortness would kill me lol

Alaskanheart
March 15th, 2009, 01:53 AM
if that's true then I'd feel sorry for the people with thin or light colored hair, they would need to shave their head bald.

Both fine and light colored hair here!

I used to follow those rules and I never made it past shoulder.

pdy2kn6
March 15th, 2009, 02:14 AM
What I'm trying to say is, overall terminal length of every hair on your head is not affected by trimming. You only shorten the terminal length of the hairs that were the longest when you trimmed.

So i guess does this mean your ends will be see through for a period when you reach terminal, after trimming (for example if you were to trim when hair was at waist), as because the bottom longest hairs terminal length has been cut shorter, the hairs that didnt get cut would grow to their terminal length, and thus grow beyond those which had their terminal length shortened by the trim.??

this threads confusing, but really interesting

Silverlox
March 15th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Good heavens! :blueeek:

I'm so glad I've never heard about that "rule" before. With my light silver, baby fine hair, on the thinner side of ii, I'd never make it past the nape. My hair is very see through, especially in the last foot or so of my fairytail ends. It's healthy, though, and all and any splits are kept a bay by s&d and self trimming when needed.

I think I'll just have to go on with my life and pretend that I still didn't hear about it. :p

ilovelonghair
March 15th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I already cut of a long lenght due to thin ends, but the thickness has been growing in well, some of it is BSL, but I still got a bit that's not reached that far yet. I don't mind fairytale ends, so I leave them and microtrim weekly while the rest is growing out.

Aditi
March 15th, 2009, 03:46 AM
That's a good one Finoriel. The truth is i never noticed something like this i guess my hair grows pretty much the same speed.

Katze
March 15th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I don't like the way the very thinnest ends look on me, it's true. On my fine hair it looks like they are damaged, even if they are not, because they hang totally without weight and look frizzed and dry, even if they are smooth.

Currently I have a 'point' of hair that reaches almost to waist, a bit more at BSL, and my hair is non-seethrough only at APL and above. I want my hair to look good down, and to look good now rather than at some promised time in the future, so I am slowly trimming to let the layers and new growth catch up with the longest thinnest ends.

I don't mind fairytale ends on me when they clump and tendril together, but they don't always do that, and my hair is at such a length and with such thickness at the roots that the wispy, thin ends hang weirdly and are very noticeable.

Cinnamon Hair
March 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
So i guess does this mean your ends will be see through for a period when you reach terminal, after trimming (for example if you were to trim when hair was at waist), as because the bottom longest hairs terminal length has been cut shorter, the hairs that didnt get cut would grow to their terminal length, and thus grow beyond those which had their terminal length shortened by the trim.??

this threads confusing, but really interesting

That is a good question, and I don't know for certain the answer. My thoughts on it would be, those longest hairs you trimmed will continue to be the longest until they stop growing, go into a rest period, then eventually fall out..unless faster growing hairs pass them by at some point. Really I'm not sure how that works. So I think it could make your terminal length look more see-through since those trimmed hairs won't make it to that length. But on the other hand, maybe it doesn't matter and they will be gone by the time you reach terminal anyhow. :ponder:

If you stop trimming once you reach what you think is terminal, it probably wouldn't take more than 1-2 years to have all fresh untrimmed ends, I think.

pdy2kn6
March 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
If you stop trimming once you reach what you think is terminal, it probably wouldn't take more than 1-2 years to have all fresh untrimmed ends, I think.

thanks for the info cinnamon hair, it may be leading me to hop on the trimming wagon. Your hairs had an amazing transformation since you trimmed your lighter fairytale ends, years ago. So it looks like theres always hope :)

JamieLeigh
March 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I disagree in my own situation, since my hair is pretty fine. You can sort of see through it all the way up. So I guess that means I should just buzz it all off and be done with it. :p

plainjanegirl
March 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I disagree in my own situation, since my hair is pretty fine. You can sort of see through it all the way up. So I guess that means I should just buzz it all off and be done with it. :p

Oh no don't you dare buzz all that pretty hair off.
I am letting my ends fairytale and oh well if others think it would look better differently. :D

wintersun99
March 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
...it's time to trim.

I read this many years ago. That if you can see through the ends of your hair, it's time to trim them.

Do you agree with this?

If one likes a blunt, thick hemline than sure. If one likes tapered ends, than nope.

JamieLeigh
March 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Oh no don't you dare buzz all that pretty hair off.
I am letting my ends fairytale and oh well if others think it would look better differently. :D

You go girl! It looks gorgeous so far! :flower:

And don't worry...the only thing that would make me buzz it off is if I had to go through radiation therapy for cancer or something...and in that case, I'd save it and have my OWN wig made. :D

Johanna
March 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I've never really had see through ends, have always had a blunt hemline. I'm curious to see what happens to it when it gets longer though. I'm even considering making my goal length classic.

ElenTikvah
March 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
You go girl! It looks gorgeous so far! :flower:

And don't worry...the only thing that would make me buzz it off is if I had to go through radiation therapy for cancer or something...and in that case, I'd save it and have my OWN wig made. :D

Not a bad idea! Though when my mama was diagnosed with cancer two years, my brothers and I were planning to shave our heads, if her chemo caused her massive hair loss...that's the only other reason that I could think of to shave my head...

Centeredgirl1
March 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Personally, with my coarse, kinky hair, there is absolutely nothing to gain with see through ends. They are weak. My theory is about strength in numbers.

I also do not find them attractive, they are just there giving you length, but no real "umpf".

Centeredgirl1
March 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM

While your hair appears fine, it also appears healthy and certainly not see through!

harpgal
March 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
If you can see through the ends....your hair is probably very long. ;)