PDA

View Full Version : Hair appears shinier when parted?

Heidi_234
March 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
If I pull back my hair from the hairline to the back of my head (for say a high ponytail), it looks more matted than when I part it (in the middle usually). As soon as I part it, I get shiny pretty hair. It doesn't matter how I dry my hair, parted or pulled back, the end result is still the same. Does anybody else experience it?
I which I could have the same shine when pulling my hair back because when I bun I can't keep it parted of course (and I wouldn't want to anyway). So why's that?

Rohele
March 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'm just wondering if its because the hair on top/front has been more exposed to the elements (and thus maybe suffered a bit more in terms of damage)?

My hair is usually parted in the same place but if I move it over to the other side the hair near my scalp looks shinier and healthier (all my ends have damage so I don't notice anything different about them, lol). I've always thought it was because it hadn't been exposed to the sun etc. as much.

jera
March 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
If I pull back my hair from the hairline to the back of my head (for say a high ponytail), it looks more matted than when I part it (in the middle usually). As soon as I part it, I get shiny pretty hair. It doesn't matter how I dry my hair, parted or pulled back, the end result is still the same. Does anybody else experience it?
I which I could have the same shine when pulling my hair back because when I bun I can't keep it parted of course (and I wouldn't want to anyway). So why's that?

Why can't you still part it and have it bunned? :confused: Is it the style you choose? My hair is shinier with a part though. Just to answer your question.

Omens
March 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Well, I would say when you pull it back for a ponytail it isn't laying as naturally. Light seems to reflect on it better when the hair strands are going where they please. I think what it is, is that they are clumping together more when they are parted, and separating more when they are brushed back (into an "unnatural" position).

Have you ever noticed how when you pull your hair back after it hasn't been washed in awhile, it seems to be more shiny than usual? I don't think it's just the sebum making it shine, I think it also has to do with all the strands clinging together from being "dirty" if you will. Reflects light like a sheet, rather than in sections.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Just my guess from my own observations. ;)

Heidi_234
March 14th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I'm just wondering if its because the hair on top/front has been more exposed to the elements (and thus maybe suffered a bit more in terms of damage)?

My hair is usually parted in the same place but if I move it over to the other side the hair near my scalp looks shinier and healthier (all my ends have damage so I don't notice anything different about them, lol). I've always thought it was because it hadn't been exposed to the sun etc. as much.
I always thought that parting makes it shinier because the hair got 'use to' being like that and was exposed more to the elements. I was never pulling it back, I wore it parted all the time, and it was still more shiny that way for some reason.

Why can't you still part it and have it bunned? :confused: Is it the style you choose? My hair is shinier with a part though. Just to answer your question.
It just doesn't look right, and requires very low bun, which makes the stick poke my nape.

Well, I would say when you pull it back for a ponytail it isn't laying as naturally. Light seems to reflect on it better when the hair strands are going where they please. I think what it is, is that they are clumping together more when they are parted, and separating more when they are brushed back (into an "unnatural" position).

Have you ever noticed how when you pull your hair back after it hasn't been washed in awhile, it seems to be more shiny than usual? I don't think it's just the sebum making it shine, I think it also has to do with all the strands clinging together from being "dirty" if you will. Reflects light like a sheet, rather than in sections.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Just my guess from my own observations. ;)
I don't know, you've got a point there regarding the "unnaturalness" of the way. I suppose that with no updos the hair would lie parted all the time. But I do think it might be shiner further from wash day because of the oiliness.
When my hair's pulled back, it doesn't look sectioned though. It is as though it lying with the wrong 'side' up lol. Even though hairs don't even have sides. :p

LutraLutra
March 14th, 2009, 03:20 AM
My underneath layers of hair are more shiny than the layers that are normally on display/open to the elements (not sure how else to describe it). I think it's just a normal thing. Perhaps once you've pulled your hair back into a bun you could pat a tiny little bit of oil over your hair, that might make it more shiny and give it some extra protection from dryness.