PDA

View Full Version : New job, and I need suggestions

CindyLea1
March 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Next week I start working at a daycare part time, in the afternoons.

I will be rotating between different age groups from newborn babies to 2-3 year olds to school aged kids. I worked at this place about a year ago, but that was before I joined here.

I mostly wear my hair down. But I can foresee this being a trap for little ones fingers to rip and pull my almost classic length hair. I can do a couple of updo's, but the most secure require an elastic/ or scrunchie and I have sworn off them because they cause breakage near my scalp. Do I just need to suck it up and use them for a couple of hours on the days I work? I need something that will not require adjusting all day.

Do you ladies here have any peticular suggestions in the way of do's or don'ts (hair related or otherwise). Any other way to secure a do? I have hair sticks, one fork, and 3 beak clips.

Thank you for your knowledge. You ladies always have good advice.

Periwinkle
March 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Could you possibly get some small claw clips? I use those a lot, though my hair's too thick to be held with them alone. You might be okay, though.

You could also practise with kirby grips/normal hairpins, if you have some of those.

Can you do a French twist or log roll? You could hold that with your beak clips.

I would recommend a simple cinnabun with your hairsticks as well. Make sure they cross over each other: it's a really secure style.

Roseate
March 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
What about a French or English braid? The little ones would probably still grab it, but they probably wouldn't be able to actually pull any hair out that way. Still an elastic at the end, but at least it wouldn't be up near your scalp.

Magdalene
March 13th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Braid it or french braid it then bun the tail of the braid, and secure with bobby pins or claw clips.

Isilme
March 13th, 2009, 01:32 PM
a figure eight, that's one of the best updos for little fingers! I used to work in kindergarten and none noticed I had long hair!

Themyst
March 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Scrunchies and ties damage my hair. I always use claw clips.

If that is too uncomfortable or you cannot get used to them, I would suggest trying some scarves. I found a lot of neat and different ways to wear them and they look great, all the while protecting my hair. I have to buy the really long ones to cover all my hair up though, you might, too.

Darkhorse1
March 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
The little ones (babies that are about 8months) are the worst at grabbing, but my friend's little girl was very gentle, whereas her son was definetly a grabber/puller. I mostly wore a scrunchie bun or a long braid. Now that they are older, (three and up), it's not a problem. They respect my hair and don't grab. Even at 2. Usually, the ones learning about things want to grab and put it in their mouth ;)

Hope that helps :) Another style would be a braided ponytail and then bun that. I'm the same, I love my hair loose, but around kids or horses, it goes back. Just easier to get things done :)

spidermom
March 13th, 2009, 01:37 PM
If you look at my album, there is a bun called "the bun that stays." This one will stay secure and comfortable for me all day (most days). It can be secured with a fork, stick, flexi-8, and probably a Ficarre Maximus clip.

OhioLisa
March 13th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Working around wee ones, I wouldn't recommend sticks AT ALL. Not only can they poke, they are interesting and tend to scream "grab me" to little hands. I would agree with others that a French braid or English braid is probably the best route. I would pretty much steer clear of hairtoys.

coppercurls
March 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Sticks & any hair toy that dangles would be out. I like braided buns & figure eights held with good days hair pins when I need a "toy free" stay in place up do.

SimplyLonghair
March 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I would do something like a heidi braid or a crown braid. This is what I used when around little fingers, I held it in place with small claw grips or hair pins. It stays well and looks very nice.:D If you french braid the hair to do the heidi braids it balances the weight even better.

I have also braided a scarf into the braid so that if it gets pulled it doesn't hurt! :o

maskedrose
March 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
A cinnamon bun held with claw clips, or if you have a really large claw clip, try doing a regular braid and then folding it up and securing it to your scalp with the clip - this holds like a rock for me. I would agree with OhioLisa - no sticks!

Buggheart
March 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I agree with whoever said to forego the hair sticks. All I can think of is a little kid getting poked in the eye with it. I've been using the EZ Combs or African butterfly combs to hold all my hair up and they work well. I either create a bun or just moosh it all up in the back and then stick the combs in on either side of the bun/mess so it holds it all in like a net.

Elphie
March 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I work with older threes. They're very respectful of my hair. Somedays they admire it and once in a while one of them will just touch it gently (kinda cute!). One little girl and I seem to be like minded in the morning and often have similar hairstyles! I generally wear it braided about half the time. I think that works well, bunning it is probably a good idea, too.

kdaniels8811
March 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Orchid buns hold like a rock with one or two sticks, despite outdoor activity, wind, bicycle riding, swimming, whatever else I have thought of to test it! I found how-to's elsewhere on this site and memorized how so cannot direct you to the link...

kdaniels8811
March 13th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Here it is! Orchid bun turorial. I need to bookmark this...

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=40856

Anje
March 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'd be wary of sticks with the little kids, but you could definitely hold a bun with your fork or pins. I like to bend thin double-pointed knitting needles into U or V shapes (called Wavelength pins, after the member who first described this), and use those to hold my buns. More secure than pins for me, and they don't protrude from the bun significantly.

The beak clips could also work well, or you could try getting a Ficcare, which tends to hold really securely on days when not much else will, due to activity or slippery hair.

CindyLea1
March 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wholey Cow! I knew you gals were great!

Periwinkle- I could do a bunch of small to medium claw clips holding a bun up. I do like the idea of the logroll with the beak clip-My hair is too thick for a regular french twist. I do think the hair sticks are out, though. Maybe if I knew I was with the older kids all day. But the active littler ones like to play by contact, and have been known to ambush me from behind for a hug.

Roseate- French or English braids would work. Maybe instead of the elastic at the end I could use an old nylon stocking? Maybe that would not cause breakage, do you think?

Magdalene-Bunned French braid! I hadn't thought of that. I have bunned an english braid, Never crossed my blonde mind :p to bun a french braid!

Isilme- A figure 8 would work well too. I think I could figure out how to hold one with my beak clips and maybe a couple of bobby pins or small clips? Might be time to get some amish pins too! You are such an enabler! LOL:D

Themyst- Scarves would be wonderful! I have tried to use them and failed miserably. I'd appreciate any tips, tricks, and links to buying them you have.

Darkhorse1- Scrunchie bun might work, if I skip the elastic at the top, and wrap the bun with the scrunchie when it is wound. I agree it's the ones that are "exploring" EVERYTHING that are the worse at pulling hair. My little one almost 2 knows better, but she still does it by accident.

Spidermom- OH that is lovely. I'm going to have to give that one a go! :cheese: It looks very complicated, though. Maybe after I give it a run or 3 I might have it presentable! LOL

OhioLisa- I agree on no hairsticks. I would feel so guilty if I accidentally stuck a child. I still might squeeze a hairstick do in here and there.

Coppercurls- Are you refering to these pins? I have never seen plastic ones. Do they really hold up?http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2065026&productId=VP12251&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat120138

SimplyLongHair- Oh, Heidi braids and crown braids would work. I think I can almost wrap an eglish braid from the nape of my neck all the way around. I bet if I pushed it back on the crown farther it would work. I always thought heidi braids were two braids from the ears down. Are we talking about the same do? Maybe I could do that then wrap them around like a crown braid? hmmm

Maskedrose- I think a cinnamon bun held with a clips could be neat. I have never used clips to hold one. Folded braid would work well too. I bet I could use one of the beak clips to secure it at the top.

Buggheart- I am going to have to go on a mission.:cool: I have seen them around the internet, and on t.v. commercials. I never thought they would actually work. Might have to get one just to have a new play toy.

Elphie- You are right. 3 year old little girls (and even a couple of the boys) liked to play with my hair.And it was cute, but some days it would get so tangled!! This is what I am trying to avoid so much this time. Braids would be good advice.

Kdaniels8811- I am going to have to look around for instructions. Your link did not work for me. :(

Anje- Kids and sticks-- I have even poked my own kids with my hair sticks. Only in the arm though. These Wavelength pins sound great. What guage knitting needles do you use. I bet I could find some at the local craftstore.

You ladies are great. Keep the suggestions coming! I'm taking notes here!:cheese: This weekend will be full of hair playing and pictures! I think this may be just what I need to get me out of the hair funk I've been in anyways! You girls ROCK!!!

Themyst
March 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
This is the site I got my scarf tying instructions from: http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl

As far as buying them, I bought some from an online company someone recommended on LHC but their product was terrible (a ripped snood, big, smeary sticker stained a silk scarf) so I won't even recommend them. I haven't purchased from tznius.com, though, so I don't know about them.

I like the Jerusalem Twist - that's what I wear from time to time. I have to take my time with it but I find it's actually the easiest for me. If my hair doesn't calm down from this henna treatment I just did to it then I'll find myself wearing more scarves for sure.

I believe it was Eaglefeather71 that said she just purchased some big scarves from Walmart. I bought a large square one and also one of the really long ones - the really long one is the one I prefer to work with.

Katahdin
March 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Coppercurls- Are you refering to these pins? I have never seen plastic ones. Do they really hold up?http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2065026&productId=VP12251&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat120138

I use those exact pins. They are fantastic, they hold my cinnabun all day long. :D

Forever_Sophie
March 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I do the same job! I used to leave my hair down, no real problems, some girls liked "petting" it, LOL, but the problems came, as I've posted here, w/ LICE! i.e. I hadn't heard of it for (1st) 11 months, then there was a case we learned of b/c the school she attends did a check of all the students...therefore if she weren't there (in school), we never would have known.

Seems to be a common problem at daycare centers (all three that I've worked in), so...keep it up!! I wear my claw clip religiously ;) And LOCKED w/ hairspray! I feel like Tracy Turnblad every morning LOL

florenonite
March 14th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Working around wee ones, I wouldn't recommend sticks AT ALL. Not only can they poke, they are interesting and tend to scream "grab me" to little hands. I would agree with others that a French braid or English braid is probably the best route. I would pretty much steer clear of hairtoys.

Hehe, they don't just scream "grab me" to little hands - I've got friends who are my age and older who think that my stick screams "grab me" :p

I would recommend either a French/English/Dutch braid or a scrunchie bun. The claw clip buns that have been mentioned are quite good, too.