PDA

View Full Version : iodine in water associated with growth

pdy2kn6
March 13th, 2009, 06:46 AM
i was reading up on dr. george michael, long hair guru, and i saw an article on longhairlovers.com in which he was speaking in an interview and the article said:
As far as growing hair faster, Dr. Michael says, "Hair typically grows just 6 inches per year. I know of just three places in the world where women grow more than half-an-inch per month: Tehuantepec, Mexico; the Piedmont Province of northern Italy, and in parts of Minnesota. Those areas lack iodine in the water, which causes severe thyroid dysfunctions including bulging eyes and horrible weight gain. But, their hair is known to grow up to 6 inches per month."

Has anyone else heard of these extreme growth rates in these places, or about iodine having an effect in the humans growth rate? it seems unimaginable to me the thought of someone growing 6 inches in 1 month. Does anyone have any info on why the lack of iodine in the water would cause this increase growth? My knownledge on chemicals is shocking....

Heidi_234
March 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
WHOA 6 inches in a month, I'd kill for that :agape:
I just tried to google it, with not much success. Does Micheal mean that they drink the water? This would make very little sense, as iodine deficiency is linked to hairloss. But if he meant showering water, then I can't see how shower water can cause weight gain. :confused:

longhairedfairy
March 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I really doubt it's related to their fast hair growth. It just doesn't make sense. I think it would have to be something else they have in common.

RancheroTheBee
March 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Perhaps it's the boorish little skeptic in me, but I really doubt there's a human being alive who can grow six inches of hair in a month.

Second, the amount of iodine present in the water supply is, I suspect, not high enough to cause any detrimental effect to its primary drinker, i.e.: humans. It's like fluoride in the water; there isn't enough in your water to kill or even seriously harm you, but enough to make sure that your teeth will hold up a little longer than normal. Unless, of course, you are one of those conspiracy theorists who believe that the government put fluoride (and apparently, iodine) in our water to make sure we keep buying more Lucky Charms or being complacent with the hostile takeover of other nations or something.

Lastly, I would rather have my modest 1/3rd of an inch of growth a month than risk getting a goiter. Iodine is a water soluble chemical that's mostly present in seawater. It's required by many species for life. A natural source of iodine, then, would be seafood or seaweed. The maximum intake is something like... 1, 000 micrograms a day.

Anyway, I'm guessing Mr. Michael isn't aware that an iodine deficiency can cause depression, hypothyroidism, weight gain, goiters, extreme fatigue and others symptoms.

Asha
March 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I wish! I live in !minnesota and want to be in what ever area he's talking about

MsBubbles
March 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Well that's not the only iffy thing he has said!

I'd rather have slow growing hair than bulging eyeballs anyway :p

baobhan sith
March 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
A deficiency CAUSING growth? uhhh. I'll pass And i wasn't aware we got all/most of our iodine from our water. Besides, if iodine deficiency causes hypothyroidism as well as lots of growth - one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism is "thin brittle hair" (wikipedia)!

Tap Dancer
March 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I've always thought he was a flake and I really don't believe anyone can get 6" of growth in 1 month. :rolleyes:

akka naeda
March 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Anyway, I'm guessing Mr. Michael isn't aware that an iodine deficiency can cause depression, hypothyroidism, weight gain, goiters, extreme fatigue and others symptoms.

He presumably is, as the article icludes "horrible weight gain" and "bulging eyes" as symptoms. Generally though you get hair loss, not increased growth, so whatever the reason for the claimed 6"/month growth it's not the lack of iodine in the water

HairColoredHair
March 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
He presumably is, as the article icludes "horrible weight gain" and "bulging eyes" as symptoms. Generally though you get hair loss, not increased growth, so whatever the reason for the claimed 6"/month growth it's not the lack of iodine in the water

Hyperthyroid causes bulging eyes, not hypo, though.

And I grew up in minnesota and never heard this. :mad:

Anje
March 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'm skeptical, especially since most folks in the US who don't live in coastal regions get their iodine from iodized salt. And before that, children were given little iodine-containing chocolates every day in school to prevent deficiency (so I've been told by grandparents who loved them). The 6 inches per month, I'd be surprised at (if it's sustained), but I can accept it for short bursts. Squiggy can get 2-3 inches per month taking vitamins, and I once had my fairly normal-paced hair sprint down about 4 inches in 5 weeks while I was traveling.

Of course, this is George Michael, who also insists that your hair won't grow if you have shorter sections (like bangs) until those are grown out.

camillacamilla
March 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm skeptical, especially since most folks in the US who don't live in coastal regions get their iodine from iodized salt. And before that, children were given little iodine-containing chocolates every day in school to prevent deficiency (so I've been told by grandparents who loved them). The 6 inches per month, I'd be surprised at (if it's sustained), but I can accept it for short bursts. Squiggy can get 2-3 inches per month taking vitamins, and I once had my fairly normal-paced hair sprint down about 4 inches in 5 weeks while I was traveling.

Of course, this is George Michael, who also insists that your hair won't grow if you have shorter sections (like bangs) until those are grown out.

I was just about to say that about getting our iodine from table salt. Is this guy even a doctor?

Tap Dancer
March 13th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Is this guy even a doctor?

I doubt it. If he is, I wouldn't want him for a doctor! :lol:

cuddledumplin
March 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
In England, goitre used to be known as "Derbyshire neck" (due to a lack of iodine in local soil), and I've never read any historical documents that have attributed any beneficial properties to this local phenomenon. I'd rather have slower hair growth and a normal-sized neck.

OhioLisa
March 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I really don't believe anything that guy has to say. His conclusions tend to be a bit ridiculous. :rolleyes:

SimplyLonghair
March 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I was just about to say that about getting our iodine from table salt. Is this guy even a doctor?
Yes he is a Dr. just one that went to school a while ago. Many things that we accept as weird now were considered good science at one time.:o

As far as flouride being safe and effective the jury is still out as far as I am concerned. It causes thyroid problems and the only decay difference disappears when you factor in the fact that it delays the eruption of teeth. With that factored in the decay difference disappears. :shrug:

Heidi_234
March 13th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Perhaps it's the boorish little skeptic in me, but I really doubt there's a human being alive who can grow six inches of hair in a month.

Second, the amount of iodine present in the water supply is, I suspect, not high enough to cause any detrimental effect to its primary drinker, i.e.: humans. It's like fluoride in the water; there isn't enough in your water to kill or even seriously harm you, but enough to make sure that your teeth will hold up a little longer than normal. Unless, of course, you are one of those conspiracy theorists who believe that the government put fluoride (and apparently, iodine) in our water to make sure we keep buying more Lucky Charms or being complacent with the hostile takeover of other nations or something.

Lastly, I would rather have my modest 1/3rd of an inch of growth a month than risk getting a goiter. Iodine is a water soluble chemical that's mostly present in seawater. It's required by many species for life. A natural source of iodine, then, would be seafood or seaweed. The maximum intake is something like... 1, 000 micrograms a day.

LOL :lol: If I'm not mistaken, at some places the government does go into trouble and adds fluoride to the tap water. Something about studies showing that the populations that live in a fluride deficient water supply areas statistically have more dental problems. But the conspiracy theory is just too funny! :rollin:

Copasetic
March 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Well that's not the only iffy thing he has said!

I'd rather have slow growing hair than bulging eyeballs anyway :p

That's exactly what I was thinking! It seems like a pretty bad trade-off. :p

squiggyflop
March 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm skeptical, especially since most folks in the US who don't live in coastal regions get their iodine from iodized salt. And before that, children were given little iodine-containing chocolates every day in school to prevent deficiency (so I've been told by grandparents who loved them). The 6 inches per month, I'd be surprised at (if it's sustained), but I can accept it for short bursts. Squiggy can get 2-3 inches per month taking vitamins, and I once had my fairly normal-paced hair sprint down about 4 inches in 5 weeks while I was traveling..

yup iodine cant make hair grow slow.. i eat TONS of iodized salt.. and i still ate as much while on those horrible vitamins getting 2-3 inches a month..

huh so this dr. george michael, who probably isnt a doctor says people in northern italy have fast growing hair.. well my family is from northern italy.. thats where my brothers orange hair and my dads red mustache comes from not to mention my own reddish brown/auburn.. i wonder if it ever occurred to him that the people from those places just had genetics that allow for fast growth.. its not just me with the fast growth.. my brother has to be sheered like a sheep fairly often to avoid the lions mane look (when his beard and hair go all around his face puffed out like a curly orange lion)

jojo
March 13th, 2009, 11:29 PM
With extra Iodine in the water this could very well speed up hair growth, as we produce a natural iodine in the thyroid gland to assist in metabolism and other functions however too iodine would not produce bulging eyes, weight gain as the extra iodine speeds up the metabolism, making our systems work faster, cells etc.

Weightloss, anxiousness, restlessness are more common feature of hyperthyroidism amongst others.

Hypothyroidsm or graves disease is more likely to cause weight gain, bulging eyes and hair loss, like bald patches especially so in the outer edges of the eyebrows which is normally the first place hairloss is noticed This is due to a lack of the thyroid hormone or iodine which assists it, so our systems slow down and sluggish, hense the weight gain.

Kelp is a kind of iodine and as long as you stick to the proper dose will do you no harm and I would think is much healthier than drinking too much iodine.

susiemw
March 13th, 2009, 11:32 PM
As far as growing hair faster, Dr. Michael says, "Hair typically grows just 6 inches per year. I know of just three places in the world where women grow more than half-an-inch per month: Tehuantepec, Mexico; the Piedmont Province of northern Italy, and in parts of Minnesota. Those areas lack iodine in the water, which causes severe thyroid dysfunctions including bulging eyes and horrible weight gain. But, their hair is known to grow up to 6 inches per month."

the midwest is traditionally considered the "goiter belt" and the soil/water is normally low in iodine.... check out this map for the true "goiter belt"
http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/ozsvath/images/goiter_belt.htm

it seems that if lack of iodine caused fast hair growth (interestingly this is not a symptom of hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism) it would be far wider spread in the US.

Susan

Nisnas
July 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hello!!

This is my first post on LHC!

Anyway, my dad is a retired dermatologist, and he told me that when he was at medical school he studied cases of patient with alopecia, where iodine was massaged into bald parts of the scalp, and it caused new hair growth. He said it acted as an irritant, which probably increased blood flow to the area and encouraged new hair growth.

Although, not sure about ingesting it...

Ines

bahoban
July 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
well,, I'm from Mexico,, from Michoacan state, so, I have friends of Tehuantepec, but,, I've never in my life ear such thing like "that incredible hair grow only in that place", so, I don't think that this would be true

Othala
July 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'm sorry to say that the man is talking rubbish.

<3OnHerSleeve
October 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
scientifically, it doesn't make sense when considering the studies of iodine stimulating hair growth, not a lack of it. however, the symptoms of overdosage are similar to the symtoms of deficiency. I'm thinking of taking Sea Kelp which is an organic source and also is rich in Zinc, Magnesium and B Vitamins. So i've been doing a little research (in reality, I'm procrastinating studying :P)

Sanyia
October 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I am from Northern Italy, and I have never heard of people in Piedmont growing their hair fast. This guy must be out of his mind, or making things up.