PDA

View Full Version : protein in hair products

Isilme
April 1st, 2008, 08:07 AM
I need some help with ingredients in products. I have found that many of the conditioners that hasn't been working for me in the past contains proteins. I know that silk amino acids is a protein, as well as hydrolized wheat protein (duh;)) but what are the other proteins called? Is there anyone who has a list?
Thanks!:)

tuuli
April 1st, 2008, 08:09 AM
You may watch out for Hydrolized Soy Protein, too. :)

rhubarbarin
April 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM
It seems to me that almost every conditioner has cones or protein in it. I avoid both, so I've pretty much just tried the products that people don't use protein - like Redcelticcurls - swear by.

I use Burt's Bees Grapefruit, and Green Tea conditoners, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. They are pretty much the only ones I've been able to find.

Isilme
April 1st, 2008, 09:40 AM
thanks, but I can't find those products here because I'm in europe:)
And I had forgotten about soy protein

suicides_eve
April 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=22392

Anje
April 1st, 2008, 04:32 PM
A good place to start is to look for words like "____ amino acids", "hydrolyzed ____", "___ protein", "____ protein isolates", "albumin", and so on.

Also, be sure to look at the front of the bottle. Lots of products advertise that they contain a given protein. They'll say things like "now with silk amino acids" in big shiny letters.

Kirin
April 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
A good tip off something has protein in it is in its advertizing on the front "Milk something something", "Silk", "restorative" or "reconstructor". Things with those titles generally have protein.