PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot! (big score at the Indian grocery)

Jeep Girl
March 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hi to all you "bad influences" and enablers out there!

Just got home from work after a stop at one of the Indian grocers near there. I picked up (2) packs of henna, a pack of amla powder, (2) boxes each of shikakai powder and aritha powder. I also score the cutest little wok-like pan for camping and 4 lbs of mung beans. Am "for sure" going to do a henna gloss this weekend, but need to scan the boards for exactly what to do with the other stuff. Hubby was confused by the pan and beans - he thought I went to Sally Beauty! This is so exciting - way better than cheese!:cheese:

arabidbutterfly
March 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
We're going to have to agree to disagree here, nothing is better than cheese :cheese:! But seriously, congratulations on your finds!

kdaniels8811
March 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Now I want to go to the Indian grocery store, there is a small one in Toledo, then the next closest one is in Detroit. Am thinking it is the one you went to! Next time I have a trip planned that way, I am stopping and getting some herbs, too...

enfys
March 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM
As good as cxheese then. Everyone happy?

The first trip is really exciting isn't it. I didn't expect to find what I needed, but I did! And it seemed cheapish. I think it will be more expensive than shampoo bars by a huge amount, but whats money when you have pretty hair!

I'd recommend the article anout herbal washing rather than the thread as it offers a summary and all the recipies more readily.

Have fun!

McSexy
March 13th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Good deal please let us know what you try and how your hair likes or loves it!

cocolover
March 13th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I LOVE my indian grocery store. I just went today and got 2 boxes shikakai, 2 packets amla, 1 box of henna, a bag of soapnuts and then 2 boxes of yummy indian food. All of that was $15 :D I have never found an online source that can compete price-wise.

Jeep Girl
March 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hi Should of called myself MotoGirl!

Go to bigyellow.com and check for "Indian grocers" or "ethnic grocers". Or better yet, do you have any co-workers (if you work) that are Indian? I have an Indian co-worker who is way cool, and he is my main source of information. I work 20+ miles north of Detroit and there are quite a few Indian/ethnic grocers in my neck of the woods, but the closer you get to the big D the more there are. (not sure for the south side of Detroit). Anyways, go online - there are many Indian sources of information for grocers (across the USA) that aren't in any online phone books. There should be a source of stuff that is in Toledo so you don't have to go so far. Check out the small grocer that you know of - the one I go to is tiny, only 2 ailes, but they always manage to have everything I need. What was cool about my visit yesterday was they were having a big sale on their dried dals (beans) so they were packed to the gills. I got a couple of compliments on the length of my hair! I couldn't believe it, but I had the longest hair there. Was hoping to see another long hair there to ask them what they use on their hair, but no luck.

kdaniels8811
March 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I did find an Indian grocery store in Toledo, the only one I could find! So next time I am in Toldeo I will certainly stop there. Fun, fun, fun! We do go to Ann Arbor periodically for Trader Joe's and Whole Foods so may check there, too, now that I know what to look for. Thanks!

tabitie
March 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I scored big at my Indian grocery store tonight too.

The Loot: 2 boxes of shikakai, 2 of aritha, a bag of citric acid, $15.50. Oh and I almost forgot-- a can of coconut milk. I'll use some and put the rest in the freezer or ice cube trays for weekly use...

I can't wait to try the whole and powdered soapnuts and the shikakai!!! Plus a citric acid rinse!!

Jeep Girl
March 14th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Smack me upside the head and call me dummy! I forgot to check out the coconut milk! I was distracted by whole shelf full of incense. (would have bought some, but I bought DH a 6 month supply for xmas, but it sure smelled wonderful)

tabitie
March 20th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Thank you, henna!

Thank you, amla!

Thank you egg and vinegar!

Check out my shine!!!!!!!!!!!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=34602&albumid=2750&dl=1237497703&thumb=1