PDA

View Full Version : hairspray?

templeofvenus
March 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
just wondering if any of you think hairspray is drying to the hair or damaging in any way? just the regular kind in a spray can. I was worrying incase the alcohol in it would damage my hair? I am trying to grow long and don't want to start damage now when its chin length as I have a long way to grow!

Thanks

florenonite
March 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yes, it is. Hairspray's really quite bad for the hair because, as you rightly pointed out, the alcohol is drying.

3azza
March 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM
hair spray is bad. it destroys all my efforts of months of moisturizing my hair in just one occasional use. my hair becomes dull, dry, no shine and dead. i try to avoid it. i think u should look for a substitute.

LeaM07
March 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Nightshade has an excellent article here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) about the effects of hairspray as well as heat styling, chemical dyes, and so on. There are explanatory details and close-up photographs that should help you understand how and why the damage occurs.

It also includes information on recovering from these types of damage and advice for specific steps you can take and treatments to try. :)

jera
March 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yup, hairspray with alcohol is very drying. :( Ojon has a hairspry that isn't drying though. Perhaps you could try that. :o

Alaskanheart
March 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Yup, hairspray with alcohol is very drying. :( Ojon has a hairspry that isn't drying though. Perhaps you could try that. :o

I use Ojon hairspray occassionally, and I have to say I have never experienced dryness or flakes, or scalp irritation that I have with other hairsprays. However , it doesnt hold or stiffin like traditional hairspray. It works for me, but it may not work for someone with a more demanding hair style.

Kirin
March 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
My quick answer, depends on the hairspray, and if anything is on the hair prior to it.

I do use occassional hairspray, with my fine / thin hair its often a must. I find if i oil my damp hair first, let it dry then use spray, I dont have dryness afterward.

Though, do find ones with low, or no alcohol.

s_tresses
March 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Its EVIL. Damaging to hair and the environment but I still use it sometimes lol

Jessikinz
March 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I never did really like using hairspray, but I've read a lot to not use it ever again. Not even on occasions :)

templeofvenus
March 13th, 2009, 03:05 AM
oh well I had a feeling my suspicions would be proven right :( all I use it for is to pin my long fringe back into a quiff with tqo clips I use it just on the front bit to smooth it but I guess I could find a substitute for that which won't ruin the hair! :) thanks for the help all of you :)

HoneyMouse
March 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I use a mix of lemon and lime juice diluted in water. spray on it also keeps the shine and stops frizz.

HairColoredHair
March 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
If you're just smoothing you could try aloe vera gel (the clear lotion type not the green stuff or the stuff with lidocaine). It's actually a little moisturizing and provides a light hold.

Or oils, though they don't 'hold' they smooth quite nicely.

templeofvenus
March 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM
hey thanks sounds good might try those ideas thanks very much :)

LadyLongLocks
March 13th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I have heard (and it makes sense) that one of the worst things hairspray does is glue the hair together. When you attempt to comb it with some spray in, it tears your hair apart. Sort of like pulling apart 2 cardboards glued together. Hairspray should be washed out before you comb or brush.

templeofvenus
March 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have heard (and it makes sense) that one of the worst things hairspray does is glue the hair together. When you attempt to comb it with some spray in, it tears your hair apart. Sort of like pulling apart 2 cardboards glued together. Hairspray should be washed out before you comb or brush.

oooh now that sounds nasty! whenever I have used it I have always washed it out not brushed it out so hopefully I have not caused too much damage!

freznow
March 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I've heard orange juice and water also makes a good 'hairspray' as well.

All in all, hairspray probably isn't as bad as heat styling and such, but it's always good to limit damage if at all possible.

HairColoredHair
March 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I've heard orange juice and water also makes a good 'hairspray' as well.

All in all, hairspray probably isn't as bad as heat styling and such, but it's always good to limit damage if at all possible.

Orange juice works, but be careful out and about, as the sugar can attract bees... as my mother found out on her wedding day (my father wanted to shoo them off but thought the assembled would think he was hitting her! :lol: )

andrea1982
March 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I have also heard of people using beer in a spray bottle instead of hair spray, but I imagine you would have to be careful not to use to much, or you may smell like beer. Also, you could try some natural gel recipe's on the recipe section of the site, such as soaking flax seeds to produce a gel, etc..
You could also try a spray gel that does not contain alcohol. Might add hold without the "gluing" effect.

embee
March 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I would only use hairspray for a really special event - like a wedding with a complex updo that *must* hold.

PurpleRays
March 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'm with embee....only used for special event. Can't stand the sticky feel but am glad to see it rinse out in the shower.

creativehoney
May 17th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I saw somewhere that a chic used flat soda for a hairspray!
Has anyone tried that??

I need a natural one, too, that will wash out with co.

And I saw the comment about the bees! I was just about to say that, if a bee was stalking me over coconut oil......oh lord!

I'm not trying honey or orange juice! (or soda). At least not in the summer time.
Lol