PDA

View Full Version : Question re Hair Club Analysis

swan
March 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure if this is fine to post (mods please take action if necessary). I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with
www.hairclub.com (http://www.hairclub.com)
They're offering a free consultation with microscopic scalp analysis to determine the reasons for hairloss. On the face of it, I thought one would lose nothing by going to the consultation and take it from there. But since I'm under time pressure right now, it would be very helpful to know if this is something worth spending even a few hours on. The more serious concern is to get sucked in a skam --but I think I could resist that :)
Any past experiences are welcome and much appreciated. TIA!

Peggy E.
March 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Having no experience with this I can't help you there, but you can figure they will find the "reason" for your hair loss and will be able to treat you for what may well be a hefty amount of money.

There's nothing truly "free" after all, particularly when you are looking at a business with a very large marketing budget - national t.v. spots are very expensive, and the Hair Club has run them for years.

Of course, because you can figure they will find something or some service they can sell you doesn't mean it won't help. It's just that you might be able to find the same assistance through a doctor, or some way in which you might have insurance to help cover the costs? As I said, I'm not familiar with these practices, just from what I've seen or read.

Are you experiencing a lot of unexplained hair loss? We are changing seasons and there's often a general "shed" at these times of the year. Are you experiencing a lot more stress than normal? This can cause hair loss, as well.

What it boils down to, this is your hair, you are obviously concerned, but please keep your wits about you and determine the cause and possible cure on as low-key an emotional level as is possible. Maybe even have a really close friend tag along to ask questions or write down details.

I hope whatever you decide to do it will help you find peace and confidence. Good luck!

atlantaz3
March 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
My dh has done Bosley twice. We are both very satisfied with the results. It's not a cheap process and can be painful - although the dh fell asleep during the process, woke up for lunch and potty breaks. As with any process check it out thoroughly. Each time he did about 2000 grafts - not hair plugs - individual hairs placed.

swan
March 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you, this is really helpful.
I've been having hairloss on and off since 2006 and though I'm nowhere close to baldness (or even visible thin spots) just yet, I think I need to watch that crown area (the part that has obviously thinned out in the pat few years). I've exhausted medical exams (on all the internal and external/scalp levels) and there's no suspect. I am through a lot of work related stress and that might be a well sufficient explanation, but even so I need to find a remedy before it may be 'too late' (if there is such a thing as 'too late').
My best guess is that my scalp is just more sensitive to quite normal levels of androgens and hence the shedding. So I've been thinking of using topical anti-androgen solutions (the Revivogen line). But coming across Hairclub, I thought I might save myself some time -and money- not to get something that may not be helping me. And, the microscopic scalp analysis just sounded tempting. That's why I just wanted to know more before making an appointment. I didn't know they are so well-advertised; thank you for mentioning that.

Ursula
March 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Since they're offering "microscopic scalp analysis" it doesn't sound as if this is a comprehensive test for causes of hair loss. If your hair loss is due to a hormonal imbalance, or a disease that isn't specific to the scalp, they won't find it.

If your concerned about a new/sudden problem with hair loss, you'd be better off seeing a regular doctor, and getting your whole health evaluated. Just looking at the scalp, and perhaps doing their transplant proceedure, won't address any underlying problems with your health that are the cause of hair loss.

swan
March 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Atlantaz3,
Thank you. Not sure what Bosley is (have to look it up) but they have nonsurgical options as well, which given my very early stage would be what I'd be asking for.

swan
March 12th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks much Ursula!
I think you posted before my second post here :)
Given my post above, I'm still curious what the microscopic exam really can tell or if there may be any possible risks in having it done.

Peggy E.
March 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Well, it's free and if you do your research well before going in - so they can't try to pull something over on you - what have you got to lose, other than a few hours of your time?

It's obviously bothering you enough to feel the need to act and it may well calm your nerves if you know what can be done, if not now, in the future.

The important thing is that you feel good about yourself, have the confidence you need to enjoy and succeed at the things you want and need to do. Whatever it takes is up to you to decide.

Good luck!

swan
March 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks Peggy. You're right. There's nothing to lose here, specially now that I feel strongly that this is a reversible situation (not sure why, but I'm just confident). I've had my own share of agony over this, but that phase is totally over (I went so far that in order to fight the idea that my long defined curls identified my appearance and femininity, I got a very short bob cut --for a change as well-- and I couldn't be more in peace with that decision; I'll start growing again but not just now and where I'm standing in life at this point). The only thing I was worried was whether the analysis itself may bear any risk. From all I know it shouldn't, but I just needed to be reassured. And there's perhaps no better place to get the word of the mouth than here.