PDA

View Full Version : Do pre-natal vitamins help hair growth?

jeg7684
March 12th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I have heard that taking pre-natal vitamins can help hair and nails grow faster and stronger? Is this true? Or do vitamins in general just accomplish this?

dulce-de-leche
March 12th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I took prenatal vitamins (when not pregnant)and they didn't do anything for me.I think its the pregnancy hormones or something to do with pregnancy that make your hair and nails grow because when I was pregnant I had beautiful hair and long thick nails.

Feenzauber
March 12th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I have heard that taking pre-natal vitamins can help hair and nails grow faster and stronger? Is this true? Or do vitamins in general just accomplish this?
Well, being pregnant itself was my best hair restorer ever.;)
I don't think the reason was the vitamins I took, it rather was caused by the hormones.

Alaytheia
March 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I have an 11 week old baby, and I've been taking prenatal vitamins for well over a year now. I haven't noticed anything special with either my hair or my nails, either from the vitamins, or even from the pregnancy hormones. I guess everyone is just affected differently.

Queenie
March 12th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I don't know about prenatal vitamins, I've never taken them myself, but I do know my silica supplement for hair-skin-nails has a lot of folic acid. Maybe something in that direction?

PrliamntofRooks
March 12th, 2009, 07:04 AM
If you have any vitamin deficiencies then they will help you, but overall it's the pregnancy hormones that help. Just prepare for a case of the sheds at about 6-8 weeks post-partum, because when the hormonal decline after birth many women loose a lot of hair (though not all, and either way, your hair will likely be in over-all better condition).

sweetbluesky
March 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I took these when I wanted my hair to grow quickly for a special occasion. Normally, my hair grows half an inch a month. When I took them, I was not pregnant, nor taking birth control, or anything else. I did nothing differently than to take prenatals (i took the generic walgreens brand). After finishing the entire bottle, my hair had grown to the length I wanted. I was only looking for a little bit of extra length, long enough to tie my hair into a knot without pins or bands. I did not measure so I am not sure how much it grew, but it did grow faster.
I have heard that you shouldn't take these unless you are breast feeding or pregnant, something about too much iron is bad for you. But, I might be anemic, so I had no side effects (that I know of). Now, I am on the Pill, and do not want to take anything to interfere with it without asking my doctor. Remember, your situation is unique and what works for one, may not work for another. Also, be cautious if you are taking any other supplements or medications. When in doubt, speak to a medical professional who knows your history. Good luck!

Katze
March 12th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I took prenatals for extra energy at times when I was not pregnant, and they didn't affect my hair.

Now that I am pregnant, I have thicker hair than I have ever had, and nice long strong nails too, all of which I attribute to the hormones. I am just hoping I don't lose too much hair afterwards (am shedding lightly again now) because I really want to keep this thickness!