PDA

View Full Version : Connection between high fragrance content and itchy scalp?

rose_in_bloom
March 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I've been trying CO washing again recently, and I've tried three conditioners for washing: Suave coconut, V05 mandarin grapefruit, and V05 vanilla mint tea. The Suave one made my scalp itch like crazy, and fragrance is pretty high on the ingredient list. The V05 vanilla mint tea is also high in fragrance, and it makes my scalp itch. BUT the V05 mandarin grapefruit has very little fragrance (second to last on the ingredient list) and I have no problems with itching.

I think I'm seeing a pattern here, so I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Erin

ktani
March 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I've been trying CO washing again recently, and I've tried three conditioners for washing: Suave coconut, V05 mandarin grapefruit, and V05 vanilla mint tea. The Suave one made my scalp itch like crazy, and fragrance is pretty high on the ingredient list. The V05 vanilla mint tea is also high in fragrance, and it makes my scalp itch. BUT the V05 mandarin grapefruit has very little fragrance (second to last on the ingredient list) and I have no problems with itching.

I think I'm seeing a pattern here, so I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Erin

Absolutely! Some of the new fragrance additives are chemical compounds that cause sentivities for me. I have no problems with perfume or cologne just additives in shampoo or conditioners (which I no longer use, so they do not matter to me).

Hexyl cinnamal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexyl_cinnamaldehyde)does it to me every time.

Sunshine69
March 11th, 2009, 11:29 PM
the VO5 mandarin grapefruit is one of my favorite CO conditioners, and I like the light citrus scent. It seems to fade pretty quickly on me and never makes my scalp itch. I tend to get itchy scalp very easily, too. Sometimes fragrances have been a problem for me. Another conditioner that I really like is the Trader Joe's Nourish conditioner. I noticed that they just recently raised the price from $2.49 to $3 for a bottle. It's a nice light conditioner, great for CO, and the scent has never bothered me.

Carina
March 12th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I have that problem.The more perfume a product has the worse my itching gets.But it is a trial and error situation for me.I don't like to throw away stuff so my friends and family will get the bottles I can't use.

Anje
March 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
It could absolutely be an issue, just like fragrances cause people problems in other contexts. (DH has issues with scented deodorants making him itch, and scented laundry detergents. I have to go down the detergent aisle to get what we want because just being in the aisle makes his eyes itch.)

Rohele
March 12th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Well, I haven't been CO washing for very long, but recently tried out the suave coconut (had been using strawberry). It makes my scalp itch like crazy, and I'm not one who is usually that sensitive to fragrance (there are scents I don't like, but I usually don't get itchy from them).

SHELIAANN1969
March 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I have been having issues lately too, when I first started CO'ing, it was with VO5 conditioner that was Tea something and it was super thick and didn't have a lot of scent.

I am now getting patchy dry scalp right on the front area of my head, it's so fun to have snowflakes fall down when I am itching a little, it's nasty. yuk.

I have cut down on the conditioner a lot and try to use as little as possible and get it out as quick as possible as well.

I think it very well may be the fragrance, the new *milks* in VO5 are very very strong.

Sigh, it aggravates me so much, I am now going to have to find my own conditioner recipe!

templeofvenus
March 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I get a rash around my front hairline with some shampoos and conditioners like an allergy rash, I use simple conditioner the range that is perfume free and allergy tested. It is a cone conditioner though so if you are cone free then its no good for you, but personally its great for my hair and scalp issues.

ecologystudent
March 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm allergic/sensitive to fragrances. So much so that if I accidentally buy cat litter/laundry soap/conditioner/shampoo with fragrance, I get itchy, runny nose, sneezes, and headaches. So yes, there could be a connection!

SolSara
March 13th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Yes, I'm also a bit sensitive for the perfume. I didn't realize it until someone told me you could be, my scalp have been itching my whole life. Then I tried a perfume-free condish for washing, and wow. Barely no itching! :) Egg-washing is also safe. I've used perfumed conditioners lately to, but it does give me more itching if it has touched the scalp at any point. I now only use non-scented detergents, both for laundry and dish, and perfume free hand and face cream, just in case. :)

Deborah
March 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Rose in Bloom,

Cure Care conditioner from Sally Beauty Supply is a nice, light conditioner that "Contains No Fragrance Or Coloring" (from the front of the bottle.) It works great for CO washing, and is quite cheap.

I have sensitive skin, and learned many years ago that products containing any fragrance are generally no good for my skin. A dermatologist told me that fragrances added to cosmetics are the number one cause he has seen for skin irritations and allergic skin reactions. (He also told me that fabric softeners are really bad, especially Bounce, as it contains so much fragrance. I had a truly bad all over the body reaction to that product. Since then I use NO fabric softener of any kind. Instead I put about 1/2 cup of white vinegar in with the rinse water - problem gone!)

ratgirldjh
March 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM
definitely for me - i am allergic to a lot of fragrances. funny though, pretty much ALL V05 and white rain made me itch - and some suave - but the suave tropical coconut was one of the few that doesn't make me itch!!!

inspiral
March 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
yes, i think you are on to something. there is a connection here. artifical fragrances are not good for you! i would recommend trying an all natural, synthetic fragrance free conditioner, without all the harsh extra synthetic chemical ingredients that you can't pronounce. i've been using exclusively natural products for the past 5 years, and i have never experienced itchyness from any of my products, and i have fair, mildly sensitive skin.
some ingredients that i avoid in any of my beauty/skin/hair/teeth/body care products (anything that i put on or in my body) : parabens, sodium laurel sulfate, DEAs, MEA's, TEA's, artificial color and artifical fragrance, and petrochemicals.
there are so many reasons to make the switch to a more natural product~ some of the ingredients listed above have been found to cause cancer and other health problems in lab animals, so, especially if its something you are putting on your body (and letting soak into your bloodstream thru your skin..!) everyday, for years and years on end, it could end up having a negative effect on your health.... also, if something causes skin irratation and itchyness, that is a symptom, your body is telling you that whatever you just put on/in your body is NOT good for you!!!

ratgirldjh
March 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
personally i TRY and use products that only have ingredients that i could eat! (except for lye in soaps of course LOL)
because no matter what anyone says - i have in the past tried products and actually tasted the fragrance in my mouth.... yuck

this tells me that skin DOES absorb what you put onto it ;)