PDA

View Full Version : New buffaholic! Question about hairline

Beesweet
April 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM
I have become addicted to my new Buffs! LOVE THEM!
They really protect my hair from all the dirty stuff I do every day.
Paint, glass chips, gardening dirt, hard sun. I can just tuck the hair up and let it grow for the next some months. I also get traction headaches easily, and nothing with this Buff.
I know the Buff is not tight around my head at all, but could wearing one regularly hurt my hairline?
I can't imagine it would, because nothing rubs or pulls, it is just, well, covered....
I just thought I would ask.

Since it is wavy/curly, it is had to sleep in without payback the next morning. I just pull the buff over all of my hair like a tube, and it thanks me, and it doesn't spook my poor husband!
By the way -- I look good in it! Not like one of my old, long-passed Babushka relatives picking taters in the field, which I feel like in a bandanna. ( I say this with much respect.)
The Buff is so versatile that I actually look kinda hip.

I am happy with hair stuff for the first time in a while. I WILL get through this shoulder length stage, I will......

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 09:17 AM
I am so glad you are happy and found something you like to protect your hair! I have thought about getting one to wear this summer when I ride with DH on his motorcycle for under the helmet.

kimki
April 1st, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'm a Buffaholic too! :D I have been wearing mine alot for sometime and haven't noticed any negative effects on my hairline.

I love the fact that they don't itch at all, I forget that I'm wearing it. I have three now. :)

mommy2one05
April 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM
what is a buff?

squiggyflop
April 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM
what is a buff?
i was just thinking the same thing

Delila
April 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.buffwear.com/

http://planetbuff.com/index.php?cPath=1_5

http://www.buyabuff.com/

jel
April 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
How do you buffaholics wear yours? Does it just cover the bun?

I'm intrigued by a Buff, but I'd really like to see some waist and longer hairs wearing it!

frizzinator
April 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
I've been wondering the same thing ....it seems to be like a sleeve, so do you pull it over your head, then while it is around your neck, do you pull your hair out and then pull the buff up ....thus it would be like a long topless stocking cap? What about if your hair is longer than the buff ...how would you keep it stuffed up inside?

Alaia
April 1st, 2008, 10:54 AM
I cover my whole head with it, bun included.

I've also been known to be wearing it as a headband, and then unfold it and sort of pull the bottom upwards so that my hair pools in the buff and is off my neck. It looks silly but it works :p

I don't have pictures but my hair is at hip/TB.

Elenna
April 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Can you sleep in a buff? I use headbands, but my cats pull them off!

Nini
April 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM
The websites usually have a video clip or two giving instructions. The buff also comes with instructions. Or you could search YouTube, or some such site!

I have thigh length hair, and my head isn't shaped for wearing stuff like this and look good. But for milking my cows I braid my hair first, then I make a low scrunchie bun. Then I put the buff around my neck, and pull it back over my face. The loose end at my neck I just tuck under the bun. Placing my cap on top I'm good to go!

Nini

Beesweet
April 2nd, 2008, 05:42 AM
Go to the original buff site and watch the video tutorial. There are several. I prefer the girl one -- she's in a black cami with short black hair.

www.buffwear.com

I have slept in mine twice. I've only had it two days! I just pull the tube back, like an open-ended snood, I guess.
My hair comes out the bottom, but it stays on during the night, because the material is much softer than cotton, but the weave is small and tight enough not to break off hairs ( a problem my type 4 daughter has).

I have worn it every style that I could so far, including the beanie. Even around my neck as a scarf thing. It looks durn good.
I had to buy two because I knew my daughter would want one. She promptly took it and I haven't seen it off her head. She looks AMAZING in hers. It's a nice way for natural type 4's to get a break from the pony tail, or braids.
I found a sale and ordered three more.
Somebody stop me!

Beesweet
April 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
I am glad to know about the hairline thing. Thank you. That was my original question. I know my girls had some hairline breakage when they had their ponytail addictions.
I just play on wearing this thing until my hair is BLS and the layers are grown out.

I am toying with wearing it to a job interview tomorrow. Okay, maybe just around the neck.....

Katze
April 2nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
How do those of you who wear buffs keep them on?

I have two -a pretty dark blue and a neat moroccan print, grey on black - and cannot for the life of me get them to stay. The last time I did a long bike ride with my hair in a French braid and a Buff to keep the bangs, wispies, layers, etc in place. Even with several bobby pins holding it in place it kept slipping back down off my head! What do you do to fix this? I would like to wear them!

jel
April 2nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the responses! I've seen some of the Buff demos, but not with long haired models. I don't want to buy one for decoration (I don't even like wearing hats when it's cold), just as protection (LOL, imagining hair condoms now :rollin:)

Wearing a Buff both over a bun and loose hair sounds like it would get enough use for me to justify a purchase.

kimki
April 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
The websites usually have a video clip or two giving instructions. The buff also comes with instructions. Or you could search YouTube, or some such site!

I have thigh length hair, and my head isn't shaped for wearing stuff like this and look good. But for milking my cows I braid my hair first, then I make a low scrunchie bun. Then I put the buff around my neck, and pull it back over my face. The loose end at my neck I just tuck under the bun. Placing my cap on top I'm good to go!

Nini

Basically thats what I do. My bun is tiny so I just fold the top part thats come over my head and tuck it in the bottom. Enclosing all my hair in the tube, tucked in.

Probably looks silly, and one of my friends did laugh at me, heres a pic:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/kim5uk/IMG_4685.jpg

That was me laughing, at her laughing at me! :D

kimki
April 2nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
How do those of you who wear buffs keep them on?

I have two -a pretty dark blue and a neat moroccan print, grey on black - and cannot for the life of me get them to stay. The last time I did a long bike ride with my hair in a French braid and a Buff to keep the bangs, wispies, layers, etc in place. Even with several bobby pins holding it in place it kept slipping back down off my head! What do you do to fix this? I would like to wear them!

The only thing I can suggest is to gather it up a little around the hairline. Or double it up, seems to help it stay on for me when I'm cycling. :)

Nini
April 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Kimki: that's exactly what I do:)

Katze: try pulling it down low on your forehead, and let it cover some of your ear. That's the only way it'll stay balanced on my head, seeing as the shape is not meant for headwear... (The exception to this rule is that I managed to have my bangs out and keep the rest covered while I was in Kenya. But of course, I hadn't properly washed my hair for a few days, staying out in the bush and all!)

Nini

Blueneko
April 2nd, 2008, 06:48 AM
Oh my gosh! Something new to obsess over! My husband will be so pleased that I have a new must-have! They look so comfy and smooth.

Fun! Thanks for sharing!

TheHippieChick
April 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
I am so excited to have found one! I am trading with someone and I cannot wait! I think this will be perfect for cleaning house, working in the yard, working in the shop and keeping all the what have you off my hair!
Don't be surprised if when you are watching the videos on the BUFF site that you fall completely in lust with the Buff Guy...I think he could sell anything!
I am eyeballing the celtic shamrock BUFF...it is so cool!

morningstar
April 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
I too have been lusting after a buff. I was thinking of getting a UV protection buff for the summer when I jog. I might even get one for all the longhairs in my family.

ACrow
April 2nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
I have a horse and I think this would be a great way to keep all the dust from the arena off my hair when I'm riding! I need to get one of these things. :-)

RedCardigan
April 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I looooove my Buffs!
I bought two of them at the start of the year and they have just been a godsend for me during this growing out process!

I mostly wear it as a wide headband, it stays put all day and, best of all, NO HEADACHES from it.

I'm buying everyone on my Christmas list a fleece on this year. I was out walking the dogs on a freezing-cold day and wore my fabric one as a face mask. It worked great but a fleece one would be even better.

I have a white/hawaiian print UV one that I haven't worn much yet, saving that one for the heat of summer. I only have the two, but I'm saving my pennies til I can buy some more!

Delilah
April 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm really interested in getting a buff or two.
Do any other users of buffs have very fine slippery/straight hair?
Most fabric hairbands just slide right off my head.

akka naeda
April 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
I looooove my Buffs!
I bought two of them at the start of the year and they have just been a godsend for me during this growing out process!

I mostly wear it as a wide headband, it stays put all day and, best of all, NO HEADACHES from it.

I'm buying everyone on my Christmas list a fleece on this year. I was out walking the dogs on a freezing-cold day and wore my fabric one as a face mask. It worked great but a fleece one would be even better.

I have a white/hawaiian print UV one that I haven't worn much yet, saving that one for the heat of summer. I only have the two, but I'm saving my pennies til I can buy some more!

I have just the one fleece one (but several UV and normal ones), I think it's the best thing I ever bought :) I get very bad sinusitis if I'm out in a cold wind, but I hate wearing hats because the slightest exercise causes me to heat up dramatically and my head gets too hot. An ordinary Buff is too thin to keep out the wind, but the fleece one is just right - I wear it as a headband covering my ears. I'm intending to get more in all types.

I don't wear Buffs at night though, as they just slide off. During the day I wear them as headbands, and occasionally if I'm not going out so that the whole of my head is covered. The one problem I have with them is that due to my peculiar temperature regulation problem even wearing a UV one over my entire head in the summer when I am not doing much becomes unpleasant. It is not like wearing a baseball cap or a cotton scarf where the air circulates better.

birdiefu
April 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I have two buffs that I really should start using again (they are over a year old). I don't usually wear them out, but they are so versatile that you can use them as a headband, scarf-type thing, scrunchie, or whatever.

A few things that I loved to do with my Buffs was to plop and sleep in them. Plopping with a Buff is pretty easy- tie one end in a knot, lean over and guide length into it, and snug it up over your forehead and ears. Makes for nice smooth waves. If you keep the Buff fairly low over the forehead, it stays put pretty well (for me at least). I do the same technique when sleeping in it, as most of my length would hang out of the open end.

BrianaFineHair
April 3rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm really interested in getting a buff or two.
Do any other users of buffs have very fine slippery/straight hair?
Most fabric hairbands just slide right off my head.

I was wondering about the same thing. Also, I have a small head. :shrug:

I'm interested though. I would like to wear one during aerobics class. I always were a head band but this looks different and fun to wear.

ETA: Nevermind, I thought the measurements were for head sizes; not sizes of the actual buffs

lynnala
April 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Whoa ho! I never heard of these before, and I can't wait to get one for gardening in the summer here in Los Angeles!

Sorus
April 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Geee, thanks a lot. Now I have to go back to eating ramen because there is yet another hair thing I MUST have. Have some pity on broke students! :silly: (We need an enabler emoticon!)

I wear bandanas a lot, but this looks more versatile. Anyone have any reports of places to buy them with cheapest shipping, sales, etc?

ETA: Has anyone tried the medium/junior sizes?

ACrow
April 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Maybe someone would be interested in organizing a group order for them?

ale
April 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I have a sort of buff I bought in a stand, I use it in winter to cover my ears.
I have a pic of it in my album:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=490&pictureid=7477

chloeishere
April 3rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
I wear bandanas a lot, but this looks more versatile. Anyone have any reports of places to buy them with cheapest shipping, sales, etc?

ETA: Has anyone tried the medium/junior sizes?

Yes, I really want to know where to get some designs I would be comfortable wearing out, that aren't so expensive! I love my new buff! I desperately want more now, but the one I bought, which was really cheap, is not a design I'll be wearing out (it's got a Survivor theme).
I did a bunch of looking around last night, and only found ugly (IMO) designs on clearance. Ebay has some, but they run about $16 with shipping, so it's not much of a savings. Anyone know of a good site?

Maybe someone would be interested in organizing a group order for them?

Sorry to mention this if you already know, but we can't do group orders on LHC. However, if you go to thebeautybottle, and scroll down to the bottom forums listed on the chatter page... well, I'll leave it at that. I'd totally go in for a few buffs with a decent group discount!

Newniepg
April 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I read this thread yesterday and spontainiously bought a summer buff! I can't wait until it arrives. I will have a go at sleeping in it (my hair wont stay restrained at night time yet)

Hurrah for impulse buys!

Sorus
April 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Newniepg, I second your hurrah! I have an original buff on the way, in green lizard print. :smile: Although, if it works for half the things I have planned for it, I see another order in my near future.

Newniepg
April 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Yes Sorus, I too can see this becoming quite a collection for me, the one I ordered is black on black (not very adventurous) but there is a pink flowery one I have my eye on.

My debit card is quaking in fear already!

jel
April 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah, this thread enabled me too, and my Buff arrived today! :rockerdud

I tried it on, but am not wearing it now as I'm inside. I think I'll try plopping my hair in it when I wash it tomorrow.

j4zzin
April 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
So a buff is basically a tube of really really stretchy fabric? From the looks of it, it seems like it would be pretty easy to sew something like this. Does anyone have any measurements? I might give making my own buff a try. :D

kimki
April 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM
j4zzin your right, its just a tube of stretchy fabric. They call it microfibre on the website, and it's a tube without a seam which is why it doesn't rub. I have one of mine laid out infront of me. It is about 20" long and 9" wide.

j4zzin
April 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
j4zzin your right, its just a tube of stretchy fabric. They call it microfibre on the website, and it's a tube without a seam which is why it doesn't rub. I have one of mine laid out infront of me. It is about 20" long and 9" wide.

Thanks for the measurements Kimki! Hmm... no seam. I don't think there's a way I would be able to pull it off without a seam, but it's still worth a when the semester's over and I have more time on my hands.

kimki
April 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM
No probs j4zzin . It's worth a go! Let me know how you get on. :)

Red Jezebel
April 5th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I thought I'd just post that since I saw this thread I impulsively ordered a couple of Buffs from http://www.buffwear.co.uk/ on Thursday evening and they were on my door mat by this (Saturday) morning. How's that for prompt service?

In with the two buffs I got a (free) comprehensive catalogue, DVD on ways to wear the buffs, a keyring type thing, a sticker and a temporary tattoo (:shrug:). Each buff also comes attached to a cardboard hanger-type thing with 13+ ways to wear diagram on the back. I especially thought the addition of the free DVD on ways to wear was a nice touch.

I have to say that these are incredibly light, comfortable and not at all irritable. I wore one out all evening, and not only did it look good, it kept my hair off my face without the need to potentially damaging elastics. I will be particularly pleased if the claims of cool in summer/warm in winter are true, because if so these will become a very useful and regular hair accessory.

Neon Gloss
April 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'd love to get one (the black cashmere buff captured my heart), but all the sites I find them on require a credit card, and I've only got paypal.

Oh well, there shall be a day. =)

chloeishere
April 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I tried sleeping in my buff a few nights ago, and it doesn't work as well as my scarf tying technique, unfortunately. It would stay okay, but eventually I would get the tail under my shoulders (I move around a lot at night), and end up pulling it off the next time I rolled over. It came off twice total, once right before I got up.
The main problem with sleeping in it, for me, is that it keeps the hair at the top of the head pulled back pretty tightly against the head. I was getting a really sore scalp in the front, so I readjusted my hair (in the middle of the night) and loosened up the front bit. That got rid of the pain by morning. I'm not sure if this is a problem for most people, but I thought I'd mention it. Youch!
It's also quite a bit warmer than my habotai scarf (at least overnight) because it fits pretty closely to the head.

None of these issues are all that bad on their own, and are pretty easy fixes (tuck the "tail" or clip it somewhere, loosen up hair so it isn't pulled tightly back, etc), but I already have a method of hair containment that works really well for me, so I'll stick with it.
I still love my buff for day use! It's really cute as a wide headband, and wrinkling it up disguises the "survivor" theme. Looks neat over a bun, too.

BrianaFineHair
April 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I just purchased the medium high UV Guadalupe buff. I'll use it for aerobic and zumba classes. I normally wear a small plastic head band but this will be nice for a change.

Red Jezebel
April 6th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I'd love to get one (the black cashmere buff captured my heart), but all the sites I find them on require a credit card, and I've only got paypal.

Oh well, there shall be a day. =)Hi Neon Gloss,

I paid for mine by PayPal. When going through the checkout process the option available to me was that or using a card. I just opted for PayPal as it saved me going to find my purse. ;)

Not sure what the options would be for overseas (non UKers), I suggest that you go through the checkout process, it may be good news.

Newniepg
April 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM
My buff arrived yesterday! It hasn't been off my head since! I love it. I could SO easily start a collection of these.

Sorus
April 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Wooo, wearing a buff! I folded it in half so there was a double-sided tube then put that on instead of a bandana. I haven't had to readjust it once, and there is no knot at the back of my head; both pluses over bandanas.

My only complaint is that the salamanda cru print isn't quite as green as it looked on my scree. Oh well, I'll just have to get more. :)

I got a regular sized one and I don't think I need to get a medium because it stays on just fine without being tight. Elastic headbands give me headaches but nothing with this, and it's been all day. Also, I'm wearing my bangs back which I don't do often but the buff doesn't make my forehead itchy, so extra bonus there.

Sorus
April 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
OK, just had to update on a great way to wear a buff over a bun.

Do the pirate/knotted headscarf style. This produces a hole in the back by the little "tail" that would go down your neck. Pull the hole around the bun, then fold the tail back up so that it covers the bun. The bun covering part can be tucked into the top of the hole to get it to stay.

It's really hard to explain, so here's a picture. Please ignore the messy bathroom background.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/dovetothemax/lizardbuff.jpg

I got the idea from the how-video on the website where the guy was dressed like a chef. I must admit I watched quite a few more instructional videos that I needed to because his accent was so much fun to listen to.

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Oh well, there shall be a day. =)

I saw some on ebay. Limited designs but maybe one you like.

atlantaz3
April 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Count me in I have a convertible and the baseball cap was breaking my hair line in the front - plus I wasn't to happy with the idea of my pont tail flying in the wind any longer. I'll be ordering soon! I'll probably be one of the goofier (is that a word) looking old ladies on one!

My dh is giving me a complex about my hair complex. He doesn't think the baseball caps are break my hair - he asked where is all the broken hair going - huh - isn't he the one remarking about my hair being all over the place? I even asked him not to laugh when I brought up the subject. He said he wasn't laughing about the buff but that the fact that I thought the cap was breaking my hair - he nearly snorked his drink. arg.

frizzinator
April 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Atlantaz3, I ordered a couple and I don't have a convertible, so that probably makes two of us goofy looking old Southern ladies.

Beesweet
April 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Glad to see this thread is going strong! Sorry I've missed out. My computer crashed.
I will try to take some pics this weekend. We are wearing them a variety of ways. We now have four buffs....two of us sharing.
I bought four different colors, and am still loving them. I am puzzled by them falling off of folks....but we are curly, so perhaps that is it.....

Yes, eBay seems to be the cheapest source. I've done my buffaholic research.

Happy buffing!

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Does anyone have both the reg and the UV. I am torn b/c I want one for regular use but also for the pool this summer. If I just get the UV one is it going to look ridiculous for regular wear?

AJoifulNoise
April 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Wow, I just watched a video on one of those websites. That's a really versatile item! I am gaping. No wonder there are buffaholics!

Shypii90
April 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I'd love to get one... Just told my mum to get me one for my birthday :D... can't wait to see what they're like :)

Hedera
April 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Does anyone have both the reg and the UV. I am torn b/c I want one for regular use but also for the pool this summer. If I just get the UV one is it going to look ridiculous for regular wear?

The UV ones look exactly like the regular ones.

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM
The UV ones look exactly like the regular ones.

Thank you :D

pariate
April 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I spotted Buffs about a month ago and I'm dying to try one, but whenever I wear things like that I don't look hip - I either look like a ballet teacher or as though I'm wearing it for religious reasons. They just don't work with the kind of clothes that I wear :rolleyes: I wear lots of skirts, quite girly and feminine, flippy things, you know? Either that or pencil skirts and heels. I wanna wear a buff! *sulk*

Suldrun
April 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I can't wait to get one now. I am trying to go longer in between washings and I really think this will help me stretch that out a day or so more. Has anyone else used it for this purpose?

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I can't wait to get one now. I am trying to go longer in between washings and I really think this will help me stretch that out a day or so more. Has anyone else used it for this purpose?

Yes, I def plan to use mine for that. Right now 36 hours is a long time between washing. I'd like to get to every other day and I'm hoping headbands and the buff will make me presentable to go outside :)

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I spotted Buffs about a month ago and I'm dying to try one, but whenever I wear things like that I don't look hip - I either look like a ballet teacher or as though I'm wearing it for religious reasons. They just don't work with the kind of clothes that I wear :rolleyes: I wear lots of skirts, quite girly and feminine, flippy things, you know? Either that or pencil skirts and heels. I wanna wear a buff! *sulk*

Good excuse to buy a new outfit :D! I have the basic SAHM look so there's not much thats going to hurt my image :p

rhondalicious
April 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Oooh, I love those, but I have a rather small head (20 inches) - I wish they had the junior size in the bandanna prints...

Kunzang
April 11th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Wow - these look awesome! Does anyone have any problems with STATIC? I usually don't like wearing hats or scarves over my hair because they make my hair so stat - icky.

RedCardigan
April 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
OK, just had to update on a great way to wear a buff over a bun.

Do the pirate/knotted headscarf style. This produces a hole in the back by the little "tail" that would go down your neck. Pull the hole around the bun, then fold the tail back up so that it covers the bun. The bun covering part can be tucked into the top of the hole to get it to stay.

It's really hard to explain, so here's a picture. Please ignore the messy bathroom background.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/dovetothemax/lizardbuff.jpg

I got the idea from the how-video on the website where the guy was dressed like a chef. I must admit I watched quite a few more instructional videos that I needed to because his accent was so much fun to listen to.

I have this exact same buff! I love the lizards on it! My other one is a white one with kinda a bright Hawaii print.
I *heart* lizards and pretty flowers! LOL!

pariate
April 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Good excuse to buy a new outfit :D! I have the basic SAHM look so there's not much thats going to hurt my image :p

:rolling: :lol:

Roger that. One child and husband on order ;)

Hedera
April 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Thank you :D

You're welcome! :)

I'm sorry, my initial answer sounded curt; I was sort of contemplating adding more (as in that the UV ones have different designs, just as each regular one has different designs, but that there's nothing that signifies they're UV ones) but I couldn't think of how to word it, so I left it out - which left the message a bit short, in the end. :o

mommy101405
April 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
You're welcome! :)

I'm sorry, my initial answer sounded curt; I was sort of contemplating adding more (as in that the UV ones have different designs, just as each regular one has different designs, but that there's nothing that signifies they're UV ones) but I couldn't think of how to word it, so I left it out - which left the message a bit short, in the end. :o

Not at all. All I needed was a short answer :D I actually ended up ordering a regular one just b/c I wanted the pattern but when the funds allow I'm getting a UV as well.

rhondalicious
April 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Well, I ordered a regular size one - if it ends up being too much for me, I might be doing a trade in a couple weeks....

:-D

shelleybean
April 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I've really been enjoying this thread. :) I'm thinking a UV buff might be in my future. There are some really lovely prints.

One style I like to do is the buff snood, it's really simple. Just pull the buff over head to neck then pull up and all the way down your hair, most likely hair is hanging out. Grab two opposite ends at the back, lift up to allow your hair to fall back into the buff, then tie together loosely, I usually tie again and there ya' go, buff snood.

Here's a picture of it...
http://images.fotopic.net/ytkfvv.jpg

It doesn't look super stylish on me but it's great for gardening,bicycling, etc. :) The UV block would be great for my poor scalp, I burn it at least once every summer.

-shelleybean

blue_nant
April 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM
OK, just had to update on a great way to wear a buff over a bun. ... Do the pirate/knotted headscarf style.

Thanks for the pic! I.like.it!!!!! I wonder if it would hold up my hair .... hmmm

eclecticaurora
April 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Ok, I'm looking at the Buff website and it says that sizing is either junior or adult size...the thing is my head circumferance is 21 and 3/4 inches which would fit for either size (jr. being 19-22 inches and adult being 21-25 inches). Which would you guys recommend? I was thinking the larger one so there would be less friction against my hair...but I also don't want to have it be too big.

Hedera
April 14th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Ok, I'm looking at the Buff website and it says that sizing is either junior or adult size...the thing is my head circumferance is 21 and 3/4 inches which would fit for either size (jr. being 19-22 inches and adult being 21-25 inches). Which would you guys recommend? I was thinking the larger one so there would be less friction against my hair...but I also don't want to have it be too big.

I'd probably go with adult; left all the way unfolded, they are rather soft and stretchy, but as soon as you start folding them, they tend to get tighter.
So you could always fold a little rim at the front to make it sit more secure.

Also, you might have braids, buns etc underneath, which would take up space as well.

1MegMeg
April 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
So happy to see a buff thread on here! I originally got the National Geographic Mundi buff to wear on my motorcycle (either under the helmet or around my neck as a scarf). But I am wearing it all the time now, as much off the bike as I was wearing it on. I like to fold it in half and wearing it like a bandana or just pull the whole tube up from my neck and over my hair (I'll tie to bottom of the buff to keep my hair in).

I want to get another, but it's so hard to narrow it down, there's so many great color/design choices! :)

frizzinator
April 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Eclecticaurora, my head is nearly 24" and the adult size is plenty big on my head even with a bun.

Since there is some stretch, you might want to consider a junior size, although you don't mention the length or thickness of your hair.

dr_sunshine
April 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
okay, so you guys convinced me to get a few Buffs - I'm sure my hubby will be thrilled ;) I went safe and definitely usable with basic black and white, but have my eye on a few of those pink beauties....mmm! new toys!