PDA

View Full Version : Considering Cutting a Bit (picture)

Oberon88
March 11th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hey all,

I am considering cutting the bottom part of my 'V' off and giving myself a blunter hemline. I haven't had a haircut in a year, and feel like I am due for one.
So should I do it myself? Or go to the hairdressers? I am kind of afraid to do either of them, and I don't have anyone I would trust enough amongst my friends and family to cut my hair.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/AZWMcMan/DSCN2505.jpg

I am thinking of cutting into more of a U shape, so about an inch and a half off the pointy part. I'm right at the top of my hips, and at the most I would want to go back up to waist (which is level with the very top of what you can see of my hand)
I don't want to lose a lot of my length, I would rather lose as little as possible.

What do you think?

marajade
March 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I think you should do it if it makes you happy! I would go to a local hairdresser and meet to talk about your hair goals. . maybe this could assess whether or not your hairdresser is really in tune with what you need/want.

maskedrose
March 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm voting for waist - you'd get rid of the tip, thicken the hemline, and get rid of your longest layer, all without losing too much length. Besides, the journey from waist to hip isn't nearly as excruciating as BSL to waist.

invisiblebabe
March 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
If you prefer blunter ends, then I think trimming would be a great idea :) If you prefer the fairytale look, you'd probably be best leaving it alone for now.

Brat
March 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
If it was me, I'd keep the basic shape it has now, but just take off a little bit. 2 inches max, IMHO! It's beautiful!

Anje
March 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Your hair looks very nice, but I do agree that taking off the end to eliminate that longest layer would make your ends seem considerably thicker.

Since you want to keep most of your length, I'd suggest using Feye's method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) for the blunt trim, which should help you get more of a U for the amount you'll take off. (Her U instructions are to cut a V, then take the tip off with the straight-across method.) Hairdressers are really hit-or-miss if you don't have someone you trust, and this is the sort of thing you should be able to do yourself. Just trim it once and leave it, even if your results are slightly uneven. (Getting perfectly even results with waves or curls is near-impossible, especially since the pattern tends to tighten and loosen all the time. Let one trim be "good enough.")

I think you'll like the results from trimming your own hair. It's scary the first time, but the results are satisfying enough that many of us have sworn off (non-GM) salons after trying it.

lora410
March 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I cut my thinning ends off about an inch. I did it myself though. I pulled it back into a pony tail and cut the thinner stuff off. Like they said what what makes you happy though

BellaB
March 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I say cut off the longest layer to get more of a fuller hemline, but that's just my opinion! If you like more fairytale ends then leave it, either way it's pretty :)

Carolyn
March 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
You could go have some consultations with a few stylists and see what kind of vibes you get from them. If you know anyone with long hair you could ask where they get their hair trimmed. My other suggestion would be to do Feye's method but just take off a half inch and see how comfortable you are with it. You can't screw it up much by cutting a half inch. If you think it worked you can take off another half inch. Baby steps!

skay
March 11th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Oberon88,

Since you mentioned you're not really interested in losing length and since your hair looks very pretty I'd say:

Unless you have damage at the ends, I'd vote to hold off on cutting.

Here's my motto these days:

Only cut in case of emergency. :)

edensapples
March 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I vote that you not cut it yourself, I think your ideas about how to cut it are good though. And it is very pretty.

HairyCarrie
March 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know where you live, but the George Michael thread (stylist for long hair) got me interested enough to find a salon near me. I'm not trimming at all this year, but after that, if I want one, I thought I'd seek out someone with a 'respect for long hair' philosophy. Perhaps there's one near you? I googled and found a list of affected salons. It's an old list, but the one near me in Atlanta is still open.

Good luck on your decision. Hope you post a pic if you do trim. Your hair is lovely.

Darkhorse1
March 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I think it looks great, but if you feel the need to trim, get it done by a professional. The one time I trimmed my own hair, it was uneven. :)

Try doing a small trim and then do more if you want.

jojo
March 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I cut from a V to a blunt hemline last year and I did it myself, my advice is only dust until you find a length which you like and gives you the results you are looking for. Your hair looks fantastic by the way and already looks a U hemline to me.

Silverlox
March 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Your ends do not look bad at all, I don't think you need to trim. However, if you want to trim, go ahead.

I've trimmed my own several times with Feyes self trim method and it's really very easy when you follow her instructions. :flower:

Just make sure you have some good and sharp scissors, preferably the type made to cut hair. Very good scissors are not cheap, however, if you consider the price of a salon visit and that the scissors are a one-time cost and you can use them over and over again, you'll soon break even and from then on, it's pure profit. :D

Oberon88
March 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your support everyone. I am going to trim, but only an inch and a half at the MOST. The health of my hair overall is fine, I just want to fix my hemline a bit, the pointy tail part at the bottom is getting to me.
I will post pictures when I do it!

brok3nwings
March 12th, 2009, 03:16 AM
im sorry but i have to say...in my personal opinion i just love the shape it is right now and i woudnt change anything about it!! its really lovely

Johanna64
March 12th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I can't wait to see the pictures :)
Your hair is beautiful.I love it this way!!

Pegasus Marsters
March 12th, 2009, 05:20 AM
No opinion on the cut but your hair is a beautiful colour. So pretty. :)

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2009, 06:29 AM
im sorry but i have to say...in my personal opinion i just love the shape it is right now and i woudnt change anything about it!! its really lovely

I agree!!!

LaurelSpring
March 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
My hair looks like this now. For me personally if its more than a dusting or 1/2 inch I would go to a stylist. I just dont trust myself that much. Find someone you can trust and be very clear and watch them like a hawk! Take a ruler if you have to!

I cut off my first tail (layers) several months ago and I regretted it. I however want long fairytale uneven ends now. If I wanted a more blunt hemline it would be different.

Peggy E.
March 12th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Boy, I wish my hair looked like this! It's your hair, apparently you would prefer it with less of the fairy tale ends, more of an even look? Then do it.

From someone who attempted to "trim" her own hair and ended taking off huge amounts in a desperate move to get the sides even - let someone who knows what s/he's doing trim it for you!

But, were it me and my hair that looked like this - I'd be thrilled to death!

Shadow Walker
March 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I think your hair looks great the way it is, but if you're going to a more even hemline then I say go for it! :)

Oberon88
March 12th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Got it done! The lady was really nice, and super considerate about how much I wanted off. I didn't go anywhere fancy, just Cuts N' More :D She also was really complimentary about my hair and in what amazing condition it was in (Thanks LHC :cheese::cheese::cheese:)
When it settles in a day or so I will post a picture. I like it a lot, my hemline is much less severe, and even though she literally took an inch off it feels so much shorter.
Strangely enough, it made my wurls come back with a vengeance, so that's nice too.
I'm really glad I did it and I think my hair is too.
Pictures soon and thanks everyone for your input.

JCFantasy23
March 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
You have stunning hair!

I wouldn't trust a hairdresser with it you haven't tried before, there are too many horror stories here and with myself of them cutting off too much. Have you looked into the instructions on self-trimming maybe?

Shadow Walker
March 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Glad it turned out well, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. :)

psvzum
March 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Just have to comment on how beautiful your hair is. I love the ends but think they'd be just as beautiful with a little bit taken off : )

maskedrose
March 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm glad it went well and can't wait to see those pics :)