PDA

View Full Version : Long- Curly updos??

swirlytresses
March 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Excuse me if this has been posted somewhere already. Are there any long haired curlies out there that would like to share any updo's? I've noticed the links for updo's, but they are for straight hair. I will try some of those updo's but I was wanting to see pics if possible of long haired curlies. I can't wear my hair pulled back straight (I look totally goofy), so I try to modify some of my do's. I am trying to get some pics together with some of my hairstyles and will post when I can. TIA!

Brat
March 11th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Here's hoping it works. This is one of the only pictures of my curly wedding hair. Hope this helps!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/hrsepwrbrat/TheKiss.jpg

sweetbluesky
March 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I am always looking for new ones, I have seen some nice ones on Youtube. I have seen a really pretty Carmen Electra inspired side curly ponytail that would be pretty easy for a natural curly to do. Not an updo, but a fun style.
I find that the straight hair styles don't work for me because my hair doesn't behave that way. I also cringe at the idea of combing out my curls (it makes it frizzy). So, I cant always detangle before an updo. I like to tie my hair into a knot, I take all of my hair and twist and tie it, and it holds without pins, clips, sticks, or anything. But you need a certain length and hair type for this. It works on curlies because the hair is coarse and should hold on its own.
I find on curly hair, most buns look the same. For me, it is not worth the extra effort when it will make no difference on how it looks.
You can always try a french twist, I smooth out the front with a BBB and then twist and pin the rest. I never comb out my curls and when released, it smoothens my hair. I also like french braid, two looks really cute too. You can take the end of the braid and tuck it inside or leave it hanging.
Sometimes, I will take a hairstick and wrap my hair around it and stab the stick in and out of my hair, weaving it with hair against the scalp, and leave it alone. When done right, it takes a few seconds and secures my hair, even with all of my layers. In the front, I will part it to the side and in the back it looks messy and cool, but put together because it is secured.
My new favorite style is a low side bun. I part my hair on one side, and on the opposite side, behind my hair, I do a ponytail. I then take small pieces and pin it section by section to get a fuller bun, or pull of it to save time. When this is bigger, it looks amazing, especially with a flower or something.
I don't know how to do the gibson tuck, but I think it would look amazing on curlies.
My quest to find new and creative updos is neverending! I will be watching this thread. :cool:

Charli800
March 12th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm not really qualified to speak, but judging from what I've seen, updos that start with braids ought to work with curly hair.

lailmil
March 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM
yesterday I wrote hairstyles I can do with my hair...they're more than 30 lol
you can try all buns that start with braids, as suggests Charli, or add a braid to all the buns that don't start with it, as celtic knot or chinese bun
all the braids you can do work good and half updos are the best for showing nice barrettes
high ponytail is more beautiful on curly than others...you can take some hair and hold the elastic to hide it and add a stick or some flowers to decorate it (I call it faunesque)
or you can just pick some hair near your temples with two nice hairpins.

Brat
March 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I guess I should have explained how my hair got like that, might help huh? She took small sections, twisted them, then bobby-pinned them near the top of my head, letting them fall over to the other side. A few of the ones that were left to hang loose, she used a curling iron on, but I think it still would have been pretty with my natural curls. Anyway, a bunch of bobby pins here and there was it. I might have to try it again to see if I can do it myself.

Anyway, good luck on your quest for curly do's!

swirlytresses
March 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I guess I should have explained how my hair got like that, might help huh? She took small sections, twisted them, then bobby-pinned them near the top of my head, letting them fall over to the other side. A few of the ones that were left to hang loose, she used a curling iron on, but I think it still would have been pretty with my natural curls. Anyway, a bunch of bobby pins here and there was it. I might have to try it again to see if I can do it myself.

Anyway, good luck on your quest for curly do's!

Very pretty!!! Your hair looks shiny and healthy. Thanks for the tips and ideas, please keep them coming. :cheese:

cuddledumplin
March 13th, 2009, 05:47 PM
My hair was done similarly to how Brat describes in this pic, but the stylist left a little quiff upon which my tiara was to sit.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/cuddledumplin/Wedding Pics/TheDo_mg_1837-1.jpg

swirlytresses
March 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Off topic slightly. How do you long haired curlies wear your hear to go to bed? I put mine in a pineapple and kind of scrunch my hair with some small clips, anyone else have better ideas? I do this to try to achieve second day hair. TIA

~GypsyCurls~
March 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
What is a pineapple? Is that when you put it up in a bun-like kind of thing?

I have long curly hair, and almost always wear it down. I'd like to see some updos too! I sometimes wear it in a high ponytail, that's kind of a bolder look.

Brat
March 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Off topic slightly. How do you long haired curlies wear your hear to go to bed? I put mine in a pineapple and kind of scrunch my hair with some small clips, anyone else have better ideas? I do this to try to achieve second day hair. TIA

I wear mine down and try not to lay on it. I try to lay it across my pillow, just can't stand it being up when I sleep.

swirlytresses
March 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM
What is a pineapple? Is that when you put it up in a bun-like kind of thing?

I have long curly hair, and almost always wear it down. I'd like to see some updos too! I sometimes wear it in a high ponytail, that's kind of a bolder look.

Pineapple is when you wear it up in a high ponytail.....with curly hair you tend to look like a pineapple unless it's real long.

LadyLongLocks
March 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
This one is pretty. I so wish I could do this, but my hair is too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb0Od6y0oXo

Im sure there are many more demos on Youtube.Look in the right column for related videos :)

swirlytresses
March 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Ok, I have a couple of different updo's in my album now. I will add more photos as soon as possible. If you have any questions, just message me. HTH.

YogaGirl59
March 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Off topic slightly. How do you long haired curlies wear your hear to go to bed? I put mine in a pineapple and kind of scrunch my hair with some small clips, anyone else have better ideas? I do this to try to achieve second day hair.

I use to do the pineapple for sleeping. Since my hair has grown longer I find I have all this extra hair hanging so I fold it under the scrunchie again. I like your idea of using the small clips. I think I will try it tonight. The way I'm doing mine I have to rewet my hair every morning.

curlsgalore
August 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Anyone have any pics or tutorials for cute updos for Curly/Wavy hair? I absolutely need a "do" with some kind of "poof" or something in the front or I look :rolleyes: ridiculous. I like to see pics of different styles/do's. I do some of the styles on here but I can't wrap and twist my hair tight or I look, kinda silly. Today I happen to have a "side bun" that turned out cute. Since I'm not a young chicken :D there are certain "do's" that don't go well with me. Anyone want to share?

ETA: Oh, yeah, my hair is a few inches past waist length...and my ends are on the thin side.

growingmyhair
August 30th, 2010, 01:44 PM
This one is pretty. I so wish I could do this, but my hair is too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb0Od6y0oXo
thanks! I really like this!

OtiggerificO
August 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM
I put my hair up in either a sock bun or a gibson tuck a lot of the time, they're both good for protecting my ends and keeping small children and dogs from damaging my hair further.

Another, slightly classier, do is to grab two hair sticks, and stick them in a half-up twisted bun. It takes all of three seconds, keeps your hair out of your face and still shows all your lovely curls :)

I like the style in the video, cheers for posting it up.