PDA

View Full Version : how to create spiral curls on wavy hair without hot iron?

sugar_rush
March 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
My own hair is about 2a, slightly wavy and pretty resistant to styling.
I'm dreaming of spiral curls, like type 3a. I don't use curling iron on my precious hair, so I'm out of options. Maybe there is some hair-friendly way to create spirals? I'll take less pronounced, loose spiral waves too.

eyesofsummer
March 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Scrunching with hair gel is probably your best bet. Take a bit of hair gel into your hands and cup the bottom of your wet hair, then 'scrunch' it up towards your scalp like an accordion, squeezing it a bit. Once you've done this in sections around your head, try not to touch your hair!
you might have to experiment with hair gels to see what consistency works best. I've recommend Aussie's Sydney Smooth; it distributes well, isn't too heavy, and smells pretty good.

Oh! And if your hair is a little 'crunchy' after it dries, do the accordion motion again...it'll loosen up the stiff bits of hair.

spidermom
March 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Try twirling strands around your fingers while it dries. Also hold the ends and twirl your hair around like a jump rope. You could also make a series of little buns while your hair is damp and let it dry. Little bee-butt buns work well. There's rag curls, too.

marajade
March 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Rag curls work really well- you can make your own from strips of material or socks or even buy them from retail. There's white ones I got from Target that work pretty well. .

plainjanegirl
March 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I can't remember who, but someone on here has pics of how they get their straightish hair in some nice spiral looking curls using some wrap, snap, and go rollers I believe. She has pretty red hair. If I find her I will tell you who it is.

Ok I found her....it is Dolly....and she gets beautiful curls. Someday I am gonna get me some of those rollers.

harpyangel
March 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I have my bendy rollers in right now :) My hair is naturally a bit wavy too

Harpyangel xxx

bjjowett1993
March 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Bendies. They are the bendadle foam follers. (not foam like a spnge) They are meant for perming, and do not absorb the perm solution. I own them, and I've seen amazinbg spiral curls done with them. Here's a link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4621286_use-bendy-hair-curlers.html (Instructions how.)

InTheCity
March 12th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Seeing this made me interested in the bendable rollers - and I found a video. No results, but use looks easy!

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4248_style-hair-spiral-roller.htm

manderly
March 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
You can try the tutorial in my signature, and instead of simply doing 2 twists, split your hair up and do multiple ones, much as spidermom suggested :)

SimplyLonghair
March 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
This is my hair using bendy curlers. They and rag curlers work well. I also use a sugar water mix to spritz on my hair first and then let them dry in the curlers.:D
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/othercurls.jpg

sugar_rush
March 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Thank you :) I'll try everyone's suggestions.