PDA

View Full Version : Bun Headaches ... what causes them?

Trinka
March 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Once again, I've taken my hair down before I'm done with my work-day.

What about a bun causes headaches after a few hours? When I put my hair up, it doesn't feel tight, or painful.

Any secrets to keeping this from happening?

Trinka

AJoifulNoise
March 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Perhaps you are wearing the bun too high or too low. You could try switching it around until you find a good spot. For the most part I can't wear my buns too high or I have pain.

BranwenWolf
March 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I have to have even pressure on all the hairs. If it's pulling in one spot that really hurts.
I also wear mine low but to each their own. :)

squiggyflop
March 11th, 2009, 12:41 PM
i have to have mine dead center in the back of my head to avoid pain..

Trinka
March 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
ah - I may be wearing it too high then. I've had it just below the highest part of my head.

Will have to try it lower tomorrow.

Thanks!

Coriander
March 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I agree with trying it higher or lower - I have to wear mine low if it's going to be an all day thing :)

Also, what do you use to secure the buns? If I use sticks or my Ficcares, it spreads out the "holdage" area to where it's not just held at one point.

Trinka
March 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Usually put it in a ponytail and braid it, then hold it in with hairpins.

Though I have done the woven bun around hair sticks, and that also gets sore by the end of the day.

Trinka

LHGypsyRose
March 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Maybe it could be that your scalp is just sensitive to the weight? I would look at that possibilty expecially if you are tender headed. I wear my hair up in a pony at the crown of my head and in a braid all the time and I very seldom get headaches. I also like to use the small scunci brand hair clips on either side to hold it up. I certainly hope you figure out the problem.:(

Anje
March 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have to ask -- are your bun headaches like normal headaches, or are they more the hair-going-the-wrong-direction scalp aches similar to what you might get if you do a deep side part on the opposite side that you're used to?

The scalp aches, in particular, can be remedied by buns low at the nape.

Trinka
March 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
They're more like scalp-aches.

For those of us unfortunate enough to have lived through the side-ponytail season of the late 70's, early 80's? They're like a milder version of THOSE headaches. I can remember coming home from school, taking out that stupid-looking ponytail, and just laying on the floor crying because my head hurt so bad. STUPIDITY!

Trinka

Carolyn
March 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
A mis-placed bun can cause a neck ache or a sore/painful area on the scalp for me, but not a true headache from within. I find I need 2 sticks and maybe an Amish pin, a fork, or a Ficcare placed just right to avoid the owies. Sometimes I think I've gotten things in the right place when I start my day but now and then I'll have to re-bun and adjust the placement or the tightness. It's just something I know I'll have to do now and then and it's not a big deal.

tinabcurly
March 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Does it matter what kind of bun you wear? I ask because when I wear braided buns, they kill me by end of day. If I bun without braiding, it doesn't hurt. A flipped up braid held with a Ficcare doesn't hurt either. There is no obvious reason why this should be but, there it is. Maybe try changing the kind of bun & see if it helps?

Trinka
March 12th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Thank you all. I'm trying a couple suggestions today:

I'm wearing it lower on my head, and I chose an unbraided Chinese bun.

Because my hair is still relatively short, I've tended to braid it, lest I get too many fly-aways. But I'm game to try something new.

I appreciate all your ideas!