PDA

View Full Version : Best non-scalp pulling updos?

hennared
March 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I'm trying to get into using hair sticks & forks, but I'm having trouble finding good ways to secure them that don't overly pull on my scalp hair - which make me nuts! I'm pretty sure such ways exist. I don't have a lot of hair, though it is 26" long, it's no longer very thick.

Any good suggestions for the most gentle ways to arrange and secure my hair? I happen to like the look of more messy/casual updos, anyway, but I do want them to stay put, too.

thanks!

Akiko
March 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
A braided cinnabun secured near the nape is most comfortable for me. I can use either a stick, fork or U-pins. But I cannot say it looks casual.

aisling
March 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The type of stick or fork used also matters. I found that thin metal sticks and forks worked better when my hair was shorter. I have to twist tightly and a wood fork for example either pushed the bun apart or made it feel too tight.

Anje
March 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM
The angle of the stick or fork also makes a big difference. I find that sticks that are vertical or near vertical pull much more than horizontal sticks. I also get much more pulling if I cross two sticks (and hence usually just use one).

Nautilus buns and Gibralter buns are extremely comfortable with a single horizontal stick or fork. Eadwine's 10-second quick bun works great too, if you don't have the length for these.

ElenTikvah
March 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
The angle of the stick or fork also makes a big difference. I find that sticks that are vertical or near vertical pull much more than horizontal sticks. I also get much more pulling if I cross two sticks (and hence usually just use one).

Nautilus buns and Gibralter buns are extremely comfortable with a single horizontal stick or fork. Eadwine's 10-second quick bun works great too, if you don't have the length for these.

I have found this to be true as well, with one exception. I have a Quattro bronze fork, that I use like a large hair pin to secure my updos...and this one I can wear vertically without pulling.

Generally, I much prefer one single fork, horizontal, or nearly so.

I have just started practicing with wooden hairforks, and so I don't know how that's gonna go yet...

I love my hair sticks, tho.

~Tik

frizzinator
March 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM
My best non scalp pulling updo is a log roll held with a couple of wavelength pins, but your hair may not be long enough to do it. Having thin hair is an advantage when making an updo, and having longer hair usually helps.

bouton99
March 13th, 2009, 05:49 AM
A loose cinnamon secured with pins always works for me. And even better after combing only with my fingers. Maybe this way my scalp isn't too irritated.

bouton

Patrycja
March 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
A good search on the boards would be "headache".I had the same question about hairdos because I suffer from intense migraines and I had plenty of really great responses. I stick with the simple low english braid when my headaches start.