PDA

View Full Version : Breakage?

PrliamntofRooks
March 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
OK, so I changed from my S&C routine to a CWC routine about 2 weeks ago. I've only had to wash 3 times, so I'm not changing the routine just yet. I use a shampoo with one cone (Head&Shoulders), and a no-cone condish (VO5 Freesia). I have also been keeping it up for the last 10 days either in buns or braided pony-tails.

I washed yesterday and slept wet because the last time I slept both braided and wet it took 2 days to dry completely! I was damp this morning and when detangling, I noticed what looks like it might be breakage? I was running late, so I'm going to have to look more closely tonight to see whether it really is. If so, am I just noticing more because of my change in routine, or do I need to lay off the ponytails (even though I use hair-safe elastics)?

I have had fly-aways for ever, so this is also a possibility, but is it fly-away because it's damaged, or flyaway just because it needs more moisture?

LHGypsyRose
March 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
OK, so I changed from my S&C routine to a CWC routine about 2 weeks ago. I've only had to wash 3 times, so I'm not changing the routine just yet. I use a shampoo with one cone (Head&Shoulders), and a no-cone condish (VO5 Freesia). I have also been keeping it up for the last 10 days either in buns or braided pony-tails.

I washed yesterday and slept wet because the last time I slept both braided and wet it took 2 days to dry completely! I was damp this morning and when detangling, I noticed what looks like it might be breakage? I was running late, so I'm going to have to look more closely tonight to see whether it really is. If so, am I just noticing more because of my change in routine, or do I need to lay off the ponytails (even though I use hair-safe elastics)?

I have had fly-aways for ever, so this is also a possibility, but is it fly-away because it's damaged, or flyaway just because it needs more moisture?

I wear my hair braided and bunned all the time, and sometimes I also notice a few fly aways here and there that could be mistaken for breakage. For me, alot of times it is a lack of moisture. So occasionally after braiding I will dip my braid in water just to dampen it before bunning (especially in cool windy weather). I have also started making sure to oil well before braiding, and to make sure that my hair is not too tightly braided and that the hair is well combed and smooth before I begin. I have figured out that if the hair is a bit messy or all over the place before I braid then some of the hair can end up bent and scraggly looking in spots when I take it down. I hope something I mentioned will help you out:)

jera
March 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'd have to second that. Flyaways and static is usually a loss of moisture. ;)

Anje
March 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Flyaways can also simply be caused by short hairs. It could be that they're baby hairs and still growing to the point where they'll reach your braid, or (especially around the face) you could have some hairs with a terminal length of a few inches. I've got plenty of these, particularly at my temples, where they form little horns on windy days.

You may have to lay off the ponytails, though. I've had massive ponytail breakage from hair-safe elastics, which was largely due to always having a ponytail. Check the hairs to see if they're split at the end (breakage) or tapered (just a short hair). In particular, check the section of hair right above your ponytail. (Making two loose braids can help with this. If you have a section of hair in the middle that doesn't reach the braids, you've probably got ponytail problems.)

PrliamntofRooks
March 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'd have to second that. Flyaways and static is usually a loss of moisture. ;)

I'm a walking battery in the winter so that makes sense. It is bad enough that DH and DS will not kiss me without first making sure I have "discharged", and I have been known to cause lots of sparks when touching light switches and doors.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try oiling or not. I usually wash about once or maybe twice a week. By the time I finally do it, the length feels wonderful (if a bit flat) but my scalp looks nasty and stringy if I leave things down. I suppose I'm afraid of accidently ending up with stringiness from doing something wrong, and I'm trying to follow the "one change every 2-4 weeks" rule so I want to give the CWC a solid chance to see how it does. I'll have to peruse the oiling threads and see in another few weeks.

I took some sections from random places on the scalp and twisted them (like for a rope braid) and checked the bits sticking out. They appear to be short hairs, so I'm supposing it's either newer growth. I haven't had a cut in over a year a half, so I know they aren't the original layers, since this is all ear-length and above.