PDA

View Full Version : Please help-scalp psoriasis

themostsilly
March 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I have suffered with scalp psoriasis for about a year and a half. But untill the beginning of this winter, it was easily managible and never was very severe. Untill now that is, ever since it has gotten cold here, my scalp has been terrible. Very dry/flakey, and very itchy, nearly all the time.
Not only is my sclap itchy, flakey, and in places scabby, my hair has also taken to shedding MUCH MUCH more than normal.
I am very frustated because all of the wonderful progress has made since joining LHC is going down the drain. And the worst part about it, my wedding, the main reason I have been working toward long healthy hair, is just a couple of months away, and b/c of the recent downturn my hair/scalp has taken it won't get to be the crowning glory on my big day.
I need help. I would like to be able to improve the condition of my hair and scalp before the wedding. So if anyone has any knowledge or experience dealing with scalp psoriasis, I would love the advice/help.
Currently my hair care regime is using sulphate free shampoo, washing less frequently, doing an SMT about once a week(usually left on overnight) And I am also cone free, as well as use ACV rinse(use to be regularly now less frequent since it seemed to cause dryness)
Any and all advice is appreciated.

ktani
March 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have suffered with scalp psoriasis for about a year and a half. But untill the beginning of this winter, it was easily managible and never was very severe. Untill now that is, ever since it has gotten cold here, my scalp has been terrible. Very dry/flakey, and very itchy, nearly all the time.
Not only is my sclap itchy, flakey, and in places scabby, my hair has also taken to shedding MUCH MUCH more than normal.
I am very frustated because all of the wonderful progress has made since joining LHC is going down the drain. And the worst part about it, my wedding, the main reason I have been working toward long healthy hair, is just a couple of months away, and b/c of the recent downturn my hair/scalp has taken it won't get to be the crowning glory on my big day.
I need help. I would like to be able to improve the condition of my hair and scalp before the wedding. So if anyone has any knowledge or experience dealing with scalp psoriasis, I would love the advice/help.
Currently my hair care regime is using sulphate free shampoo, washing less frequently, doing an SMT about once a week(usually left on overnight) And I am also cone free, as well as use ACV rinse(use to be regularly now less frequent since it seemed to cause dryness)
Any and all advice is appreciated.

Catnip tea is wonderful for the scalp and I use it for much more, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118 It is a specific for scalp irritation and itching.

I was born with eczema and I have mild psoriasis. Neither are an issue with me though.

QueenMadge
March 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I have scalp psoriasis and have tried all kinds of prescription/non prescription products on it. The best thing I have found for me is apple cider vinegar applied either straight (be careful because it can burn, but for some reason my scalp tolerates it), or diluted with a tiny bit of tea tree oil in it. I use a plastic hair dye applicator bottle and mix it up. apply it carefully to all the areas of my scalp that are irritated and then put on a plastic hair cap and let it sit as long as possible. It stinks so I do this on weekends usually. After it has sat for as long as I can do it, I rinse it out with warm (not hot or cold, but at least luke warm), water and then apply conditioner to my hair from the ears down. I have found that some conditioners I have used have caused irritation if I get them on my scalp but not if I put them just on my hair. Another thing I have found that helps but not as well (though it doesn't smell) is ascorbic acid diluted and applied to the scalp and left on as above. It seems there is something in the acidity that help my psoriasis clear up.

The ACV is the only thing that knocks the itching out asap and for the longest time. I use Braggs acv, but I think any natural brand with the mother would work. Good luck and I hope something helps.

wintersun99
March 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I've never been "diagnosed" per se, but have always had an irritated, itchy scalp. The two things that helped me were (a) ditching all shampoo with "sulphates" and using henna.

sibylla
March 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Heavy oiling is good. Vaseline on dry patches. carry a mister with water,coco nut oil and aloe vera and apply if hair feels itchy. Only wear cooton near face and head.Hope this helps!

jera
March 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I don't have psoriasis, but in India Neem oil is widely used as a treatment for severe inflammatory scalp conditions. It might work for you if nothing else does.:rolleyes:

Calista
March 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
My boyfriend has psoriasis all over. We use this (http://www.apotheke724.de/8795559/308511236805962/) lotion with great success, but as he shaves his hair it is hardly a comparable situation. Thought I´d mention it anyway. Urea and sea salt are our Holy Grails.

joyjoy
March 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
You don't mention whether you've been diagnosed by a doctor with psoriasis, the autoimmune disease. If you haven't, from your description, you could actually have eczema or seborrhea instead. Which would be a happy thing, because both are more easily treated than psoriasis. My husband has psoriasis all over, and unfortunately there's no cure yet, just a variety of treatments to make it somewhat less annoying. The are some fairly new treatments available by prescription that it might be worth talking to a doctor about, but none of them is a silver bullet, and most have caveats.

Check out this site:
http://www.psoriasis.org/about/psoriasis/scalp/
which describes a variety of treatments for psoriasis of the scalp.

The treatments for psoriasis mostly seem to break down into three types:
1) Moisturising, emollient treatments, to make the skin more supple, less dry and itchy.
2) Chemical exfolliants (like lactic acid, salicylic acid) to help remove some of the scaly skin of the plaques.
3) Anti-inflammatory ingredients (like hydrocortisone cream), to soothe the inflammed skin.

I think you need a lot of trial and error to determine what's best for you.

If you haven't tried Conditioner-only washing yet, it might work for you, at least at keeping your scalp more moisturized.

themostsilly
March 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have not been diagnosed with psoriasis myself, but my mom has suffered with it for almost 20 years, and was diagnosed it, my scalp issues are the same as hers. Although hers is much more severe and widespread than mine. I will try the ACV again, and look into the catnip and neem oil.

snnej
March 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the long hair community and have not introduced myself yet but I had to respond to this post. I have had severe scalp psoriasis since I was a kid and have tried just about everything. My psoriasis is triggered by stress and allergies which in turn will lower the immune system. over the years I have learned that the best thing I can do is to keep my immune system strong. I do several things to keep my system in balance. I drink aloe vera juice, take probiotic capsules, and am a vegetarian. I noticed a few years back that there is a connection to eating meat and my flare ups. I also do not eat any dairy products, they also cause flare ups. I still have an itchy scalp but there are no more open sores and I don't have to apply so much of the prescribed meds. I hope this helps. It sucks. No more ice cream or cheese but it's worth it.

Magicknthenight
March 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I just found out a week or two that's whats on the left side of my scalp and by my ears. Its horrible ;_;
I just posted a thread about it not too long ago but i guess a lot of people hadn't tried the medicine they gave me for it. They gave me something called "Dovonex". i've just started it but it seems to help the itching some so i don't wake up scratching my head. Maybe you could try some of that as well? I was hoping it isn't making me shed more then normal.
you've already been suggest ACV which i was also gonna recommend. i hope things go better for you. Perhaps scalp massages to remove some of that excess skin...i really hope you find some way to help it. Its just such a pain..

QueenMadge
March 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I was diagnosed in 1998, when I had a full body flare up. Until that point it had been restricted to itchy scabby sores as a child on my scalp and then as a young twenty something it appeared on my ears/upper arms ....mine is definitely worsened by stress and I think my diet. I have not figured out what foods cause flares but I can often feel it happening. I have chronic patches on one elbow and the tops of my ears....Once it flares it takes a long time to resolve.

themostsilly
March 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
My boyfriend has psoriasis all over. We use this lotion with great success, but as he shaves his hair it is hardly a comparable situation. Thought I´d mention it anyway. Urea and sea salt are our Holy Grails.

Thanks, I will pass this info on to my mom who suffers with it on nearly her entire body. I have also started using dead sea salt in my bath water, it makes my skin soft but seem to do much for my head.

I gave the ACV another try, this time in a higher potency to no avail, when my hair dried my head was just as itchy. I use to do ACV rinse every time I shampooed at the end in 10:1 dilution, and when I first joined I accredited this to really saving my scalp and helping the condition of my hair. But somewhere along the line it started making my hair really dry. So then I started using less often.
Maybe I should just try and go back to my old regime and see if there is any improvement.

sibylla
March 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I found this cream that makes rosacea and psoriasis disapear. It works best on my face and inside ears:Weledas Baby Wind cream with Calendula.

It´s magic!!!!and cheap 6$!! My face has no rashes now!!!It took only 3 days:)))))))))))))):cheese:

carloota
March 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I found this cream that makes rosacea and psoriasis disapear. It works best on my face and inside ears:Weledas Baby Wind cream with Calendula.

Does anyone know if this cream can be applied to the scalp?

themostsilly
March 14th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know if this cream can be applied to the scalp?

Yes, I'm interested to know also.

Calista
March 15th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Those are the ingredients of the Weleda calendula cream:

Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Lanolin, Beeswax (Cera Flava), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Limonene*, Linalool*, Benzyl Benzoate*, Benzyl Salicylate*, Geraniol*. *from natural essential oils

Since it contains beeswax it might not be a good idea for the hair.

minkstole
March 15th, 2009, 04:30 AM
If possible, go see a doctor. The "natural" way may work, but in my experience it takes a long time. Doctors often have solutions, though they may only work temporarily and not address the cause, that work like magic.
Your wedding is only a few months away - you will want your hair to look good.
Good luck.

oogie
March 15th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I have had psoriasis all over my body since 1973. My heart goes out to all of you who have this problem. I also have the arthritis associated with the disease since I was 14 and I do know what it's like to be just driven nuts with the itches.

For me, things that help is just keeping lotion on the spots and a good conditioning in my hair at least once a week. Also, keeping stress down to a minimum and noting that the change in the seasons plays heavily with this disease in general. I have in the past - taken the shots for this but the shots are basically steroids and should be used with great caution. See a good dermatologist and they can help you make the decision on using this option or not.

I use one cup of ACV in a gallon of water after I've washed with castile soap and follow up with a serious Snowymoon Treatment (aloe, conditioner and honey mix) This helps for about two weeks. Also, it sounds a touch nutty but it does help appearance if nothing else... A lice comb to get out all the little flakes. I have been known to use cortizone cream in my scalp from time to time just to kind of work on major flare ups.

I pray that you have nothing but the very best results and that your wedding is something straight out of a dream. :):D

sibylla
March 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I´ve tried on my scalp and it works however it´s very sticky. I recommend dabbing just a little bit of olive oil to those parts of the scalp which are problematic.

themostsilly
March 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I just got my bangs cut, and a nice trim, so my hair is looking and feeling healthier/thicker. Thats a nice boost. But my head is still itchy. I'm glad the flakes aren't too bad, they are near my hairline in the front, but if I pay attention to remove all of them and not stratch too much I don't think they are noticeable. I am feel better about my length, but know I have lost alot of hair shedding so that makes me a little sad. I am going to continue on the natural route, since that fits my lifestyle and personal beliefs more, but if it becomes worse at any point I will see a doctor. I know my stress has alot to do with it, and really there's not much I can do about that. Thanks to all of you for your advice, kind words, and support. It really means alot to me. I will be posting progress pics soon, since I pretty much never do.

IrishRover716
March 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
If possible, go see a doctor. The "natural" way may work, but in my experience it takes a long time. Doctors often have solutions, though they may only work temporarily and not address the cause, that work like magic.
Your wedding is only a few months away - you will want your hair to look good.
Good luck.

With a really short time 'til your wedding I'd agree with this, with one warning. Make sure what they're prescribing you is for the treatment of the itching and flaking. Because most of the medications for trying to treat the disease itself are immune-suppressants, so they can make you much more prone to common sicknesses, and really aren't worth the trouble (IMO)