PDA

View Full Version : Braiding Problems

soimaqt2
March 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
:confused: I don't know if there is a thread on here already that discusses this. A friend at work and I were looking at a braided headband for St. Patrick's Day. I told her that she should just do a double braid with her hair. She said that she doesn't like to braid her hair because she always ends up with the ends of her hair sticking out all over the braid. I have that same problem. Does anyone know what we may be able to use to stop that or any possible fix for this problem? :confused:

Gumball
March 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
If you're talking about braids going fuzzy then that's basically just an issue all braids tend to get over time. Your best bet is to do something to it that might help the hair lie down or stay contained more, like maybe some type of oil or gel. Also the curlier the hair the better chance for Chia-braids to occur. Mine do that after about half a day if they're left down because it rubs against stuff and knocks hair loose. Wearing hair up lessens the chance for a real furry braid, but sometimes it just can't be helped. Good luck!

ETA: You'll always have hair at different lengths because hair can break or have different growth cycles compared to other strands.

Heavenly Locks
March 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I don't have a 'smooth' braid because I have layers. The ends stick out all over the braid. If your hair is all one length, all the ends...are at the end of your braid. That's what makes some braids look so smooth.

julya
March 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Hair that is not freshly washed sometimes stays in a more smooth looking braid too.

soimaqt2
March 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM
If you're talking about braids going fuzzy then that's basically just an issue all braids tend to get over time. Your best bet is to do something to it that might help the hair lie down or stay contained more, like maybe some type of oil or gel. Also the curlier the hair the better chance for Chia-braids to occur. Mine do that after about half a day if they're left down because it rubs against stuff and knocks hair loose. Wearing hair up lessens the chance for a real furry braid, but sometimes it just can't be helped. Good luck!

ETA: You'll always have hair at different lengths because hair can break or have different growth cycles compared to other strands.
Any suggestions on oils or gels?

Gumball
March 11th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Any suggestions on oils or gels?

You can run the gamut. Different people like different oils. Jojoba works for some, coconut for others, even extra virgin olive oil for some. As for gels it's up to you. I myself (when I actually use it) use Fruit of the Earth aloe gel. Nice and safe for my head and my hair.

soimaqt2
March 11th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I will definitely have to try some of them.

Juneii
March 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM
this is probably bad for my hair but if my hairstyle needs a smooth look I would use regular styling gel to keep the strands together. it's just like braiding your hair when it's a bit wet. just carefully wash it out at the end of the day :]

Katze
March 11th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I usually only braid on 'dirty' hair, and oil it heavily to make it lie flatter. However, my hair has many lengths (new growth, layers, old bangs, etc) so there is really little I can do to make braids be 'perfect.' I content myself with 'as smooth as possible' by braiding 'dirty' or oiled hair.