PDA

View Full Version : I almost cut my hair off last week...

Sunshine69
March 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I was feeling frustrated with my hair, suffering with PMS and going through some family stress with one of my close relatives getting attacked and injured. I suddenly started projecting all my negative feelings and frustration onto my hair, although I didn't realize the connection at the time. I really thought my hair looked horrible, and I even wondered how it could have become so horrible without me noticing sooner. I hated my hair. I didn't mention anything about it on this board because I knew people would try to talk me down and I didn't want anyone to try to dissuade me. I tried to make an appointment right away with the lady who cuts my hair, but she said she was unable to see me for 10 days (or so she said... now I have my doubts). Well, it's been a week since I made my appointment and I just called to cancel it today. Over the last few days I've calmed down and things are resolving, and I stopped thinking about my hair. I am so glad that I didn't cut it when I was feeling all those negative emotions.

I now realize why we have a cooling-off period before making drastic decisions, and that when I'm unhappy I don't always see things as they are. Unfortunately this is a lesson that never seems to stick with me, because when I'm feeling frustrated and emotional things like this always happen again. It's only in hindsight that I can see clearly.

Omens
March 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM
We all get like that at times, I think. Life gets rougher than usual or something bad happens and perceptions get distorted for a short while. It's a good thing that you couldn't get it cut right away---I know I've done impulse cuts before and hated it later. It's crazy how easy it is to block out our regular feelings when things aren't going so well. :(

brok3nwings
March 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM
i really understand what your saying. Usually i dont wait any time until making something that i will regret...at the time it always seam the thing i HAVE to do, i see problems where there isnt none, etc. Its important to have someone to make you calm down, my boyfriend is always telling me that i cant do anything to my hair without talking to him first. Why? I have made many mistakes and then he has to listen to me and my endless sadness because of it... so i think that people here normally will see if you really have a point or not. I hope you have "learned" at least that talking to someone about it can save your hair ;) im glad this was only an "almost" cut

Chrissy
March 11th, 2009, 05:50 AM
We should all make a vow that when ever things get rough we should immediately put our hair up and not think about it. Really!! I did my emotional cut and regretted in later. I was at 29" and now I'm at around 16 I think. I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about this but it's true!! I'm so glad you didn't cut. Go eat some chocolate instead. :)

melrose1985
March 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I know how you feel. I tend to do stuff like that when i feel like i've lost control. For me mostly i cut all my nails off. It just makes me feel like i'm back in control.

I used to do stuff like that too with hair dye. i would get upset and have to go dye it something different.

I'm glad you were able to hold out!

Jessikinz
March 11th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I have been there so many times! I'm so glad that I have learned to wait it out before doing something I will regret for a long time. It used to be if I was feeling sad, cut my hair, if I was feeling mad, dye my hair. I never waited it out, and I always regretted those decisions. I'm so happy you didn't do anything drastic!

Debra83
March 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM
We should all make a vow that when ever things get rough we should immediately put our hair up and not think about it. Really!! I did my emotional cut and regretted in later. I was at 29" and now I'm at around 16 I think. I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about this but it's true!! I'm so glad you didn't cut. Go eat some chocolate instead. :)

This is what I did TWICE!!!

You knew, though, not to post here cause we'd talk you "down" so that means you were aware "somewhere" that it was an emotional response. Next time, come on the boards and vent!!!

Sunshine69
March 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
This is what I did TWICE!!!

You knew, though, not to post here cause we'd talk you "down" so that means you were aware "somewhere" that it was an emotional response. Next time, come on the boards and vent!!!

You must be right... but somehow at the time cutting my hair seemed like the only solution, the only thing I could do.

I guess it's good to know that I'm not alone, but I hope we all know better now. Somehow I don't think I will. When I'm in that state of mind, I feel compelled and I can't see it any other way. It's only in hindsight that I see it.

GlennaGirl
March 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I was feeling frustrated with my hair, suffering with PMS and going through some family stress with one of my close relatives getting attacked and injured. I suddenly started projecting all my negative feelings and frustration onto my hair, although I didn't realize the connection at the time. I really thought my hair looked horrible, and I even wondered how it could have become so horrible without me noticing sooner. I hated my hair. I didn't mention anything about it on this board because I knew people would try to talk me down and I didn't want anyone to try to dissuade me. I tried to make an appointment right away with the lady who cuts my hair, but she said she was unable to see me for 10 days (or so she said... now I have my doubts). Well, it's been a week since I made my appointment and I just called to cancel it today. Over the last few days I've calmed down and things are resolving, and I stopped thinking about my hair. I am so glad that I didn't cut it when I was feeling all those negative emotions.

I now realize why we have a cooling-off period before making drastic decisions, and that when I'm unhappy I don't always see things as they are. Unfortunately this is a lesson that never seems to stick with me, because when I'm feeling frustrated and emotional things like this always happen again. It's only in hindsight that I can see clearly.

Aww, I have SO been there. I went through with it many times. I know how you're feeling. I'm glad you thought about it before reaching for the sheers. That cooling-off period really does help!

gibsongirl71
March 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I think also this is why women who have had babies cut off their hair. The need to feel in control of something and all the hormonal stuff. My hair was almost waist length when I had my first child and I cut it all off, super short.

misstwist
March 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I have never, ever regretted cutting or bleaching or dying that I did while highly emotional. For me it was a coping strategy to deal with the rollercoaster of bipolar disorder. Cutting my hair has prevented many suicide attempts.

The current length of my hair is a reflection of my mental health, and for that I treasure it. But if I were to ever again be in a place where I needed the cathartic release enough I wouldn't hesitate to cut my hair and waiting two weeks would likely only mean I had beautiful hair at my funeral.

BTW, I'm just fine now, well medicated and nobody needs to worry that this post is indicative of any trouble. Just sharing a different point of view.

Eireann
March 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM

I can TOTALLY relate. I had a friend who called this "PMS Perm Syndrome". . .when you feel so bad on the inside that you think the only solution is to change how you look on the outside. I attribute several of my pixie cuts to PPS. Now, I occasionally trim my bangs under the influence of PPS (most recently at 3 a.m. one night when I couldn't sleep.) Fortunately, I like my bangs, and I'm not interested in growing them out any time soon. When/if I do decide to grow them out, I'll have to come up with a new outlet. . .maybe waxing my eyebrows?

s_tresses
March 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I am also an emotional cutter hehehe

spf4214
March 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM

I like that idea about eating some chocolate instead lol ;).
I also did an emotional cut once, just after end of highschool exams, and I wasn't very happy either. I went from waist length to shoulder length. I have truly leart my lesson about that.

JamieLeigh
March 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear about all the stuff that's happened in your life recently...I hope you and yours are having a better time of it now!! :grouphug: I'm so glad you didn't take out your frustration on your hair...sometimes having something positive to do, like for me, playing with my hair and trying new updos and recipes on it, can help your overall mood, and allow you to look at your situations in a different light. (See the Hair Zen thread ;))