PDA

View Full Version : Please view these photos and give me your opinion

marla
March 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I've posted about this before so I apologize for being redundant but now I have photos. I am trying to find out the cause of my life-long fairy tale ends problem. I am beginning to suspect that the reason my hair is so thin at the bottom is that the hair does not grow at the nape of my neck.

These are photos of me one hour out of the shower. The ends are dry and the rest is damp, so its not a great example but you can see in the first photo what the problem is.

The second photo is with my hair up and it looks like I am lacking hair at the nape of my neck which might cause this thinning problem as there is less hair than there should be. Does it look like I am indeed lacking in that area or am I just imagining it? Apologize if this is a ridiculous post but I really need help.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/aquaschwa/Hair31009005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/aquaschwa/Hair31009007.jpg

Tangles
March 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Marla, the nape of my neck looks like that also, as displayed in my avatar. I don't have FTE and my hair is longer than yours. I have to conclude that your hair is simply thinning at the ends due to breakage. Could you give us more information about your hair history--what's the longest you've had it, how often do you trim, do you ever use heat or chemical color?

Elphie
March 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I don't think you are lacking any hair at the nape of your neck, it looks like the typical amount you would expect to be there to me. Perhaps there is something in your routine that's causing some breakage at that point?

marla
March 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I've had it a bit longer than this. I self-trimmed about 6 months ago. I haven't used any heat products in several years. I shampoo about twice a week and CO one time a week. I've tried oils and chrome dome, doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I have had a big growth since using monistat, but its the same fairy tail problem, only longer. I've been using strictly henna for about a year now. Before that I used the chemical stuff.

spidermom
March 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The picture is not altogether clear, but I see no obvious lack of hair at the nape area. It continues about as far below the earlobes as mine does. Whether or not those hairs are short I cannot tell from the picture.

Have you tried keeping the bottom/hem trimmed a very small amount on a regular basis?

marla
March 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
The picture is not altogether clear, but I see no obvious lack of hair at the nape area. It continues about as far below the earlobes as mine does. Whether or not those hairs are short I cannot tell from the picture.

Have you tried keeping the bottom/hem trimmed a very small amount on a regular basis?

Yes I have, but then I lose whatever growth I've gotten. I think I am going to have to resign myself to shoulder length hair because I can't really seem to get it any longer without it looking mangy. :(

edensapples
March 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look like you are balding in the neck area to me..

If you say you were using chemical dyes then switched to Henna.. that could cause breakage of the ends, until the very damaged parts are cut off

You say you shampoo twice a week and condition once.. everyone has their own ideas of hair care, but my suggestion is condition more than you shampoo. I don't use shampoo at all, but I do condition every time I wash it.

I rather like fairytale ends personally, but I understand your concern.

Carolyn
March 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I think your neck hair looks very normal. The end of your hair will still have chemical damage even though you haven't used chemicals for a year. It's a long process getting rid of it. Those ends are going to be more delicate due to that. If I understand right you do use shampoo twice a week and CO once. Do you use conditioner after you use shampoo? If not that's something you could add. I'd also try more CO washes and fewer with shampoo. I'd also put my hair up and forget about it for a few months. Your hair is long enough to do some updo's and get those ends up and out of danger. It will take time but I bet you can get the thickness to move down.

marla
March 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I think your neck hair looks very normal. The end of your hair will still have chemical damage even though you haven't used chemicals for a year. It's a long process getting rid of it. Those ends are going to be more delicate due to that. If I understand right you do use shampoo twice a week and CO once. Do you use conditioner after you use shampoo? If not that's something you could add. I'd also try more CO washes and fewer with shampoo. I'd also put my hair up and forget about it for a few months. Your hair is long enough to do some updo's and get those ends up and out of danger. It will take time but I bet you can get the thickness to move down.

Thanks, that's encouraging. I do use conditioner all the time. I can't use CO only because my hair is fine and looks stringy if I don't wash once in a while, I've tried it. But I'll try to do CO twice a week and shampoo once.

Silverlox
March 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I have to join the previous posters and state that your hairline at the nape looks perfectly normal to me. :agree:

Most of the questions I would have asked, have already been posed by other. There is one thing I wonder, have you had layers cut in your hair? Are you perhaps growing out layers together with the chemical dye? Because that would make it look like fairytails, even though it's only because the hemline is thinner due to layers. :twocents:

LittleOrca
March 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM
At first I thought you were showing us a cut! :shocked: But then I saw your hair was up and I calmed down :)

Sunshine69
March 10th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Marla, I think it's just the old chemically-damaged ends breaking off. How much virgin growth do you have?

marla
March 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I have to join the previous posters and state that your hairline at the nape looks perfectly normal to me. :agree:

Most of the questions I would have asked, have already been posed by other. There is one thing I wonder, have you had layers cut in your hair? Are you perhaps growing out layers together with the chemical dye? Because that would make it look like fairytails, even though it's only because the hemline is thinner due to layers. :twocents:

The last time I had it professionally cut, they did put layers, it seems they always encourage that. But now I know that is a no-no for me because I need all the thickness I can get.

marla
March 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
At first I thought you were showing us a cut! :shocked: But then I saw your hair was up and I calmed down :)

Oh I think a cut is inevitable, I mean there is nothing I can do about this but cut it off. I was thinking I would put the monistat on the nape and get it to grow and then it would even up but everyone is saying that's not the problem, so...

marla
March 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Marla, I think it's just the old chemically-damaged ends breaking off. How much virgin growth do you have?

Not sure but I'm guessing the first 6 inches from scalp outward are virgin growth untouched by chemical coloring.

Sunshine69
March 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Not sure but I'm guessing the first 6 inches from scalp outward are virgin growth untouched by chemical coloring.

I'd be willing to bet that if you did do a cut to shoulder length, with maybe gentler layering to get rid of a little more of the damaged hair at your canopy, that you'll have hair grown almost to your bra strap by this time next year.

I still have some chemically-damaged ends, and they definitely tend to break off. I had been doing a partial weave of highlights, so my damage isn't in any of my underlayers on the back of my head. So even though my hair is breaking off at the damaged spots, the ends still look very thick. It does look like I have layers though, but it's mostly from hair breaking.

Your nape looks a lot like mine does. I get little wispy hairs at the back of my neck that don't grow very long. I think they're sort of cute.

Cinnamon Hair
March 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
There is some excellent advice already in this thread. I would add that to be absolutely sure you cannot grow thicker ends you should:

Keep a blunt cut at the ends. No more cutting layers. Cut straight across, however much you like, but just from the ends.

Give CWC a try instead of shampooing so often. Shampooing once a week should be fine, but if you want to do more than that, I recommend using conditioner on the length before shampooing the scalp.

Give your hair a chance to grow. It will take time, I'd guess more than a year if you stay at your current length, to remove all the chemically dyed hair. You also need time to grow out those layers.

It is possible that you are one of those people with a short growth cycle who can't grow thick hair longer than shoulder. But based on the condition of your hair now, I think it is too early to know for certain.

DarkChocolate
March 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
The nape of your neck looks fine:)

However I would like to say that my hair is the same way in that it looks thinner at the bottom because the strands grow differently. That is why I take length pictures in the sunlight against a black shirt. A picture in which the background is a light colored shirt leads to some strands not showing and thus my ends looking thin. The middle of my hair grows alot faster than the sides and this leads to my ends looking thinner. However small trims have helped my hair look and feel thicker.

Is your hair fine textured? Mine is and I think that this also leads to the fairy tale ends.

Sunshine69
March 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Oh, also I think the hair at the nape of my neck is a different texture than the rest of the hairs on my head. The hairs towards the back of my hair and near my neck are much more curly (they make tight spirals if I let my hair air dry). These very curly hairs always seem dryer and tend to get frizzy, more breakage, fairy knots and split ends than the rest of my hair. So if your hair is anything like mine, something like that might be a factor, too.

I've been putting Fox's conditioning cream on the ends of my hair after washing it, and I usually pull half of my hair up and apply more of the cream to those very curly underneath hairs. They just soak it up and never look greasy even when I apply what seems like gobs of the stuff. I think these hairs just tend to be very dry and porous.

jivete
March 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I would definitely look at breakage. My lowest layer of hair tends to be really fragile and breaks/gets rubbed off easily. It's all growing, but right now I have a shorter under layer, the longer mid-lower layer and then some shorter canopy layers that were cut it on purpose. The under layer and the upper layer tend to be the same length due to breakage of the under layer, with the longest, middle layer sandwiched between. With careful care, my hair is starting to even up. Braiding at night, wearing up and ditching heat, dye, etc.

If you've recently improved your routine, I'm betting you'll notice some huge improvements. I would just slowly trim off the thinner bits and let the bulk of the hair catch up. But really watch the under layer. Rubbing of scarves, sweaters, etc will really break mine off.

s_tresses
March 11th, 2009, 12:55 PM
My layers are really damaged too because I have curly hair and I have been really bad to them. The layers dry faster than the rest of the hair and even though it is growing longer it looks like fairy tale ends while the rest of the hair is fine. I am thinking it is breakage resulting from heat and brushing. I think you should just let it grow and take more care of it and then cut it off after you reach your desired texture.

MsBubbles
March 11th, 2009, 01:10 PM
What is your hair type?

I hate to set you off on a tangent but what about nutrients and/or medical conditions, such as iron, hypothyroidism, etc.? Are you taking any medications which might cause your hair to be more brittle or fragile? Are you taking any kind of supplements?

SimplyLonghair
March 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Many necklines are often shaped in a W where the tendons of the neck attach at the skull. That is normal for many, that is what I see on these pics. I think that your hair is just fragile and needs to be treated very gently. Fairytale ends are normal for many as they grow their hair out. Hair grows at different speeds on the same head, that and head shape cause the hair to have a unique hem. IMHO:D

xrosiex
March 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I totally agree with carolyn. Be patient and keeping your ends oiled, and wearing it up should get the thickness to move down.

Anje
March 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I just wanted to echo the others in saying that your nape looks quite normal, and that mine's the same way -- hair to about the bottom of the scull, then a section on each side that goes a bit further down the neck.

Let the formerly-dyed hair grow out, and make sure you're always using conditioner on your ends. I'd suggest doing regular henna or cassia (depending on the color you're after) treatments on the whole length of your hair, to try to keep the length strong.

You might also want to look at the thread about catnip treatments. Quite a few folks around here have reported that they find soaking in catnip tea helps keep their hair from splitting and breaking.

ETA: Also wanted to add that white shirts are rarely kind when you're looking at your thickness. Your hair will almost certainly look thicker against darker colors.

marla
March 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
What is your hair type?

I hate to set you off on a tangent but what about nutrients and/or medical conditions, such as iron, hypothyroidism, etc.? Are you taking any medications which might cause your hair to be more brittle or fragile? Are you taking any kind of supplements?

My hair type is wavy and fine. I am hypothroid but I take armour thyroid and my level is fine. I am also pretty much vegetarian but I get my iron monitored and that's fine too. I take a ton of supplements:

Flaxseed oil
MSM
Biotin
Q-10
Lecithin
Grape Seed Extract
B100 Complex
Evening Primrose Oil
Glucosamine Chondroitin
Calcium & Vit D
Selenium
Bilberry
Lutein
More vitamin D
multivitamin

I have autoimmune issues so I can't take zinc or Vit C. I have researched hair supplements and I think I've got everything covered unless anyone can think of anything else that I should add?

marla
March 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I just wanted to echo the others in saying that your nape looks quite normal, and that mine's the same way -- hair to about the bottom of the scull, then a section on each side that goes a bit further down the neck.

Let the formerly-dyed hair grow out, and make sure you're always using conditioner on your ends. I'd suggest doing regular henna or cassia (depending on the color you're after) treatments on the whole length of your hair, to try to keep the length strong.

Interesting you should mention that because I do henna my whole head each time, not just the roots and I was thinking maybe that was a bad idea? But it's just kind of hard to do only the roots and then you have to worry about matching the color.

You might also want to look at the thread about catnip treatments. Quite a few folks around here have reported that they find soaking in catnip tea helps keep their hair from splitting and breaking.

Thanks, will look into that.

marla
March 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM
All very helpful. I'm wondering if my ponytail is also causing problems. I use a ponytail while working out, and I have to pull it very tight so that the band doesn't slip down because my hair is so thin. Maybe its better to just let it hang loosely while I'm running, but then I figured it would get all knotted up. How do you folks wear your hair while exercising?

I also swim in the ocean and ponytail my hair then, too. Maybe I should braid. How do you braid your own hair, turn your head upside down?

Carolyn
March 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
My hair type is wavy and fine. I am hypothroid but I take armour thyroid and my level is fine. I am also pretty much vegetarian but I get my iron monitored and that's fine too. I take a ton of supplements:

Flaxseed oil
MSM
Biotin
Q-10
Lecithin
Grape Seed Extract
B100 Complex
Evening Primrose Oil
Glucosamine Chondroitin
Calcium & Vit D
Selenium
Bilberry
Lutein
More vitamin D
multivitamin

I have autoimmune issues so I can't take zinc or Vit C. I have researched hair supplements and I think I've got everything covered unless anyone can think of anything else that I should add?Red flag here. I see that you say you are pretty much vegetarian. Are you getting enough protein? Some vegetarians don't. I'm not saying all vegetarians don't but I've read that it can happen. Do you eat cheese and eggs or fish? You might want to look at your diet for protein intake.

plainjanegirl
March 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I would love to have neck or nape hair like yours ( or rather any neck or nape hair). If you wanna see pics of someone with a nape hair problem feel free to look at my pics.....just to make you feel better about yours.

marla
March 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I would love to have neck or nape hair like yours ( or rather any neck or nape hair). If you wanna see pics of someone with a nape hair problem feel free to look at my pics.....just to make you feel better about yours.

I don't see your nape problem because its covered up by your long beautiful hair, lol. I would love to trade ya.

marla
March 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Red flag here. I see that you say you are pretty much vegetarian. Are you getting enough protein? Some vegetarians don't. I'm not saying all vegetarians don't but I've read that it can happen. Do you eat cheese and eggs or fish? You might want to look at your diet for protein intake.

Cheese, eggs, milk, nuts, peanut butter, yes. No fish, can't stand it. I'm curious what the recommended protein intake would be and I will monitor it.

jojo
March 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
do you wear your down quite a lot? im wondering if your hair is breaking in places due to bag straps catching on it.

Also your nape hair looks normal to me too.

marla
March 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I'm more aware of that now and push it over one shoulder when I am carrying a bag. I don't like the way I look with my hair up or I would do it more often. I will check out some updos however.

Cinnamon Hair
March 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
All very helpful. I'm wondering if my ponytail is also causing problems. I use a ponytail while working out, and I have to pull it very tight so that the band doesn't slip down because my hair is so thin. Maybe its better to just let it hang loosely while I'm running, but then I figured it would get all knotted up. How do you folks wear your hair while exercising?

I also swim in the ocean and ponytail my hair then, too. Maybe I should braid. How do you braid your own hair, turn your head upside down?

Do you use a metal free ponytail elastic (cloth covered elastic glued together instead of the metal piece)? Also, don't tighten it against your head by pulling your ponytail apart --that can cause broken hair for sure. For a change you could try twisting your hair into a bun and using claw clips around the edges to secure it.

For swimming a braided ponytail wrapped into a bun is one of the most secure updos. Just a braided ponytail would be better than a plain ponytail though. Yes, you can braid by flipping the ponytail over your head, or over one shoulder.

For vigorous exercising I make a bun held with strong claw clips. My normal updos usually work for most exercising though, depends on what I'm doing.

marla
March 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Do you use a metal free ponytail elastic (cloth covered elastic glued together instead of the metal piece)? Also, don't tighten it against your head by pulling your ponytail apart --that can cause broken hair for sure. For a change you could try twisting your hair into a bun and using claw clips around the edges to secure it.

I know what you are talking about, those metal-free ones are hard to find. I have one which I guard jealously! Yes I know, I never pull the ponytail apart to raise it, that is rubbing against the cuticle. My mom used to tease her hair by rubbing a comb upward and to me it was like fingernails on a chalkboard. Yes I think I will try the bun and jaw clips, although it looks bad on me, who cares when I'm exercising.

For swimming a braided ponytail wrapped into a bun is one of the most secure updos. Just a braided ponytail would be better than a plain ponytail though. Yes, you can braid by flipping the ponytail over your head, or over one shoulder.

Will try this, the problem is the ends are so thin, the bottom of the braid will be tiny and hard to secure. Maybe a clasp of sorts, if it will stay in.

hennared
March 12th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I don't think your hair is thinning at the nape, but I do think the ends look really dry, for right out of the shower. Looks like they need some TLC .. I should know, because mine sure do, too! Have you tried just a touch of oil to the ends when they are still damp? ( I didn't see this mentioned, apologies if it was already!)

When I work out, I put my hair up in a wrap bun sort of thing, secure with a hair stick so that the top of the stick is facing down. I then put a lightweight silk scarf (just a rectangular piece of silk I hemmed, folded into a triangle) over my head, one point of the triangle to the center back of my head. I cross the other two points of the triangle of the scarf under the back of my head, and before I finish wrapping the scarf, I pull the hair stick out. I end up with my hair in a very loose gentle bun, held in only by my head scarf. Gentle, no pulling, and my hair is totally secure in there. I so dislike ponytails, so this is what I do.

Oh, and, I hate how I look with my hair up, too.. but I do it more often to protect my ends. You might be ok with wearing it up after you get used to it.. I leave a bit of hair out in the front to soften the look, (I sort of have really long 'fringe') and it isn't too bad.

Pegasus Marsters
March 12th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I don't think you're thinning at the nape but I think you have breakage from wearing your already delicate hair loose too much, and from swimming in the sea with it only ponytailed. At least wet your hair in clean water, or soak it in oil before you swim! Salt water is awful for your hair.

If you want long hair you need to start pinning it up more often to protect it from breakage. Some people can wear their hair down a lot and are fine, but you obviously can't because you have fine delicate hair.

My mum had hair like yours till she started wearing it up more and now it's thickening out.

pdy2kn6
March 12th, 2009, 06:57 AM
yeah i think you hairline looks absolutely fine, everyone has shorter hairs around that area, i wouldnt worry about it. I think its just a result of you not trimming in 6 months. i think it can easily be solved by small frequent trims, i would see it as thinning :)

BlackfootHair
March 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I don't think it looks like it's thinning. I think it just appears to have some breakage on the ends.

shayly-fyanna
March 13th, 2009, 03:18 AM
i aqlso agree, your hair at the nape looks ok, not the clearest pic but my nape hair is alot more breakage prone due to a gold chain i wear that tangles in my nape hair and my fairy tale ends don't start until my hair grows to hip length or even tail bone length, my hair is extremely fine and i do keep it trimmed in an even hemline every few months. it takes a bit longer to grow the hair to my desired length but it does get there have you changed products lately? using some comb or brush that is different? i don't understand why your hair would start getting fairy tails so short, i doubt it could be terminal. it's either breakge or the effects of too little trimming. as the hair grows in different stages. my hair looked like that when i went a year without trimming. i wear my hair up all the time, only let it loose after i wash to let it air dry. then up it goes again. that has helped me alot. plus when i do swim, i cover it in conditioner before swimming and bun it. then wash and condition after swimming. and trim about 1/2 an inch every 4 months.

HTH.

longhairedfairy
March 13th, 2009, 03:23 AM
The nape hair looks normal to me. Maybe you could try using some Monistat, as many people have had very good results with it.