PDA

View Full Version : Confused!

cupcakeblonde
April 1st, 2008, 02:31 AM
Well tomorrow was going to be a day of shopping for a great cone free s & c, but I have just found the thread for the cone converts! And now im confused, cones or no cones?

Miss Murphy
April 1st, 2008, 02:38 AM
That's a question only you can answer ;)
It really just depends on your hair. I say try out non-cone - maybe your hair likes it better, maybe it doesn't.

Nat242
April 1st, 2008, 03:59 AM
Try it out - that's the only way to tell. You might need to clarify to remove old cone build-up.

I also live in Australia - I use Pears conditioner, which is cone free and you can pick it up from Priceline, it's pretty cheap, only $2-3.

Be aware that after washing with a cone-free conditioner, you might notice some damage. This isn't new damage, it's damage that the cones "hid".

I find that I get better results from deep treatments and oilings now that I'm cone-free. Give it a go for a few weeks!

-- Natalie

cupcakeblonde
April 1st, 2008, 04:04 AM
what about shampoo nat, which do you use?

Katze
April 1st, 2008, 05:43 AM
After trying to go all natural, i went back to 'cones in December and my hair hangs SO much better, but has also lost most of its wave.

Cones make my hair much smoother, especially the damaged ends. I don't really see the point in having to have my hair look and feel damaged, and the virgin bits are smoother without 'cones too, but 'cones also help control my frizz. For me, 'cones give me hair that looks and feels nicer - and isn't that what having long hair is all about?

I don't think 'cones are really that evil, but some peoples' hair just doesn't like them. It's totally random....you need to try for yourself.

p.s. I use Dove, but I also don't wash with 'cones for every wash, rather, alternate non- 'cone, WO, and 'cone washes.

Shanarana
April 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM
My hair likes both, cones and no cones. You just have to experiment to see what your hair responds to. Suave is a great line for no cones.

Nat242
April 1st, 2008, 06:29 AM
what about shampoo nat, which do you use?

I have an oily scalp, so I've tried to cut back on harsh detergents, which can over-strip the hair of it's natural oils and cause the scalp to overproduce.

To use up a big bottle of heavy detergent shampoo I diluted it with a lot of water and used that. I now have a natural shampoo that I bought from the pharmacy called (Organic Instinct), that I also dilute. It smells great!

To be honest, since I've started diluting my shampoos, I don't notice much of a difference between brands. I'll stick with the Organic Instinct one, because I like the fact that it uses plant derived, rather than petrol derived ingredients. It's a bit pricier than other brands, but because I dilute it it lasts for ages.

-- Natalie

Beesweet
April 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
I used a cone conditioner for the first time since starting January and it looked like I stuck my finger in a light socket.
My original 3a with huge frizz was back. I had become confused over the last few months about why I thought I was a 3A when I was so clearly a 2C with no cones. I need product to help with that frizz, and therein starts the vicious cycle.

Now I remember why I thought I was a 3c. On cones, I was a 3c. I also lost about two inches of length due to the curl. It is also as if the individual hairs swelled up because my hair volume changed, too and felt very thick and...well, huge.
Now don't get me wrong -- I love curls. I just look like an 80's metal band member, so somehow, the look doesn't work for me.

I wish I had taken a picture but my camera battery was dead. I'll do it again soon and post the pic just to compare.

So my point -- it is individual.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
It's plus/minus for me, meaning that I like some things about using cones and other things about being cone free. I buy the best-smelling conditioner that I consider earth friendly and is on sale whenever I need it. Sometimes it has cones, sometimes not. Both are nice.

Tapioca
April 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
My hair loves cones, but it was okay without, too.
The only thing I would add is that if you use cones, you should use a clarifying shampoo from time to time. I wash my hair and use cones daily, so I clarify with Suave daily clarifying once a week.

Poolsoflaughter
April 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
I love cones, but, I do have to clarify on occasion, or rotate shampoos if my locks begin to seem a little limp. I guess it all just depends on how your hair behaves after "exposure" to them.

squiggyflop
April 3rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
i tryed no cones and had major breakage and tangles that led to breakage. alot of people can go no cones with fantatic results... i say go for it if only just to learn more about what your hair wants and needs because everyones different... the only time cones ever really do any damage is when you dont clarify regularly.. i clarify pretty regularly so my hair is happy with cones. some peoples hair freaks out when they use cones just once.

Delila
April 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
If you've had problems with shampoos and/or conditioners (itchy scalp, tangly hair, whatever) but haven't been able to figure out what the issues are, going cone-free can be one way to narrow down the list of culprits.

Going shopping isn't a requirement to make changes, just read the labels on what you have. If the products you're using help you have clean, well conditioned hair, there's no real need to get spendy. If you aren't happy with the typical shampoo twice, condition once routine, mix things up and try things like CO, CWC or dilute shampoo using the products you already own.