PDA

View Full Version : The Color I Didn't Want - What Can I Do Now?

kc
March 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM
My hair is fine and at classic length right now. I normally do not let my mother, who works in a beauty shop, touch my hair because she wants me to cut it short. She, however, kept telling me about this wonderful new semi-permanent hair color that she had gotten in and wanted to try on my hair. I thought, "well, as long as it isn't permanent, it should be ok and shouldn't damage my hair." So, ok, I did it. The color didn't turn out bad and I kind of liked it. It was something different, however, that was until I washed it. It felt like straw. I could have cried. I could tell immediately when I felt it wet that she had used a permanent color on my hair. :mad: So, when I had a chance to see her on Sunday, I asked her, "Mom, are you sure that you used semi-permanent color." She just gave me one of these innocent looks. Well, I am furious now :mad: So, what can I do to keep it from being really, really damaged? I don't know what to do now - other than knowing that I absolutely cannot trust my mother. :(

lora410
March 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM
You need some deep treatments. Evoo or coconut to absorb into the hair shaft and help makes a good deep treatment and maybe a protein pack to strengthen your hair back up. I wouldn't let my mother touch my hair ever again. it seems like she is doing what she can so you cut your hair.

ETA: If the color is darker then your original color you could try color oops. I had goo luck with that going from back to almost my natural color. If it is lighter then color with maybe a semi- perm color, and if that is the color you want you cna go permenant to get your color back.

Curlsgirl
March 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM
You should be okay with just one coloring even with permanent color. I would have been mad though too. Just baby it alot and it will probably be back to normal in no time. :hugs:

amaiaisabella
March 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I would do lots of CO washes or deep conditionings. I used to color my hair (every 3 weeks, *cringes*) and a few of those brought my hair back to normal. I hope you still like the color, and once your hair is back to normal, you can enjoy the "differentness" for a while.

RancheroTheBee
March 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Even if your hair is super-fine, one permanent coloring won't destroy it completely.

CO, deep conditioning (SMT, perhaps) and maybe even a microtrim.

Is the color at least close to your natural color?

MemSahib
March 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I am so sorry this happened. Like the others have said, baby it, baby it, baby it. My superfine hair doesn't like oils generally but it does like other rich conditioners. My hair likes the Nexxus Humectress but my scalp doesn't. Yours might be quite happy with it, though. It might be worth a deep treatment. You can also check at places like Sally's Beauty Supply for the richest treatments you can find. I'm no color expert but I think several have mentioned honey to help remove unwanted color, if that is what you would like to do. Maybe some of the color gurus will chime in here.

lapushka
March 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
You are still not *really* sure that it's permanent hair dye. She didn't tell you it was, so it might be a semi and wash out. Would she really do that to you, you think? Really?

Give it a few months and pamper it, then you'll know for sure.

Darkhorse1
March 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Boy, I would have a massive hissy fit against my mother for betraying my trust!

Do LOTS of deep conditionings. That should soften the hair up. If this was your first permanent color, don't panic, it won't ruin your hair. Permanent colors open the hair shaft to allow more color to absorb. This is needed with gray hair, because they are a thicker shafted than regular hairs (I asked my hair dresser about this). Semi-permanent colors lay ontop of the hair/cuticle,and only a bit of color is absorbed. This is why semi-permanents don't always color gray.

Conditioning and oiling will help lay the cuticle down and help it feel soft again! :)

Hurray4Henna
March 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Echo *baby it*

If your mother put permanent colour in your hair instead of semi-perm, well that's terrible.
I'm sorry that you are going through this. :flowers:

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
What is your natural colour and what colour is it now? As has been said, one colouring probably wont be too bad, although growing out two-tone hair can be very annoying.
My advice would be to repeat the oiling suggestion, then do some DT's with yogurt, that stuff makes my hair feel lovely even when i had chemical damage i was growing out.

Debra83
March 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
This is another case where mom felt she knew best if she really did put a permanent colour in. But, it wasn't malicious...just misguided. (she'd probably still stand behind her decision to "help" you). But, don't fret, many of us purposely fried our hair for years, so there is still hope for yours!!!

Just make sure you are doing lots of CO's and CWC's, and coconut oil majorally improved my hair immediately - and there are many, many products that will help to moisturize and soften.

JUST BE SURE that if you plan to cover it up with anything else like Henna for example or another brand of dye, that you strand test. You don't want a disaster to happen.

Good luck!

feralnature
March 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Ok, on the plus side....slightly damaged hair has more body. So don't fight it, go with the flow. Enjoy the fullness of it, how thick your ponytail is, how cool messy braids look now. Damaged hair is fuller, that's what perms or body waves do, damage hair....so don't fight it, go with it :)