PDA

View Full Version : Little questions about Henna

Milui Elenath
March 10th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I'm new to Henna and I've been reading all the information I can but this has lead to some confusion. I'm in info overload.

I am about to do a test strand and that is when these questions occurred to me.

Is a porcelain/crockery bowl alright? I know I read no stainless steel. The porcelain bowl will only be used for Henna and I don't care if it gets stained.

Do I do put it on wet or dry hair? There seemed to be conflicting info on this. Maybe it doesn't matter?:confused:

When I do get around to doing my whole head and I'm rinsing it out, I've read about mermaid rinsing - will this stain my skin?

Are there any issues with Henna-ing outside? Providing I keep it wet. Its autumn here and about 25 celcius or 77farenheit.

Thanks I tried searching but frankly posting was easier. :p Hopefully that's all my questions!

Milui Elenath
March 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM
:rolleyes: Sorry there is another question and I can't edit my posts. I read that Henna can rub off on bed linen? Is that true - I have white sheets so if that is so I will put on the dark blue pillow cases I hate :eyebrows: Thankyou!!

Whimsical wind
March 10th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I haven't hennaed for a while, but I'll try and answer your questions.

A crockery bowl is fine, perfect even. :D I've only ever hennaed on dry hair but I've read it is easier to apply on damp hair. I've never mermaid rinsed with henna, but I don't think it would leave stains. Also, I think awhile back someone did that and had an issue with a UTI... Normally, I just rinse it off in the shower. And I can't see any problems with henna-ing outside. Hope this helps!

twilight
March 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
hi! no problem, i think most of us love answering questions...

Is a porcelain/crockery bowl alright? I know I read no stainless steel. The porcelain bowl will only be used for Henna and I don't care if it gets stained.

that's perfect, you just don't want to use metal to mix it because there is some kind of reaction that happens (i use glass or plastic personally but i don't believe porcelain is an issue)

Do I do put it on wet or dry hair? There seemed to be conflicting info on this. Maybe it doesn't matter?:confused:
whichever you prefer. i find it spreads more easily on wet hair but others really prefer dry application.

When I do get around to doing my whole head and I'm rinsing it out, I've read about mermaid rinsing - will this stain my skin?
nope! the henna will be so diluted by the tub full of water that you will not have any staining of the skin--possibly the tub will need a good wash though just from all the henna bits. mermaid rinses really help get it all out of your hair.

Are there any issues with Henna-ing outside? Providing I keep it wet. Its autumn here and about 25 celcius or 77farenheit.
none at all, in fact that is a great temp for outdoor hennaing, and if you hang out in the sun (keeping it damp) even better!

Thanks I tried searching but frankly posting was easier. :p Hopefully that's all my questions!

good luck and post pics when you're done! :)

Shermie Girl
March 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'm new to Henna and I've been reading all the information I can but this has lead to some confusion. I'm in info overload.

I am about to do a test strand and that is when these questions occurred to me.

You can use glass, crockery, plastic. Just make sure you don't mind it getting stained.

Pure, BAQ henna is non reactive. I played with it and metal and never had it react in any way. Not with aluminum foil, not with stainless steel. I mixed and dye released it in stainless, once just for fun. No problem. I used a stainless steel tip for a root shooter and I wrapped my head in foil to keep it warm. No reactions at all. Ever. :)

Wet or dry hair. Whatever you want to do is fine.

A mermaid soak shouldn't stain your skin. I never got stain on my skin from henna highly diluted in water.

Henna isn't fussy about temperature. Seriously. It can be hot, cold, warm, cool. Henna will work beautifully.

Henna is easy. Really. Just mix powder and hot tap water until it is the consistency of stirred yoghurt. Leave it sitting on the counter for a couple of hours or so. (Long dye release periods just aren't necessary.) Do a quick test on skin to make sure you have stain, then slop it into your hair. Wrap in a shower cap or plastic wrap. Cover with a turbie or a warm cap or another shower cap... Anything will work. If you get drippies, stuff with t.p. to catch and stop them.

Wear your henna for anywhere from a couple of hours until it drives you batty. Jump in the tub or shower and rinse. Using a boatload of cheap conditioner, like VO5 really helps to move the henna out of your hair. And makes combing out post henna a bit easier. Once your hair is completely rinsed, (this process will take a long time) finish with your favourite conditioner and dry and style as you normally would. And enjoy the gorgeousness. :D

Henna may fade a bit, the first time. Don't panic. Once you do a second application, that will stop.

:rolleyes: Sorry there is another question and I can't edit my posts. I read that Henna can rub off on bed linen? Is that true - I have white sheets so if that is so I will put on the dark blue pillow cases I hate :eyebrows: Thankyou!!

Occasionally, after a fresh application, I'd have a little transfer. Usually if I didn't rinse as well as I thought I did. It usually came out with a good washing and a bit of bleach. :)

Milui Elenath
March 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Thankyou all I've now found another question. What sort of stain should I see on my skin, that is how much. So far there is a very faint orange tint like a really light fake tan and it washed off ( I didn't let it dry on there.) Should it be more orange or is that about right?

Shermie Girl
March 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Thankyou all I've now found another question. What sort of stain should I see on my skin, that is how much. So far there is a very faint orange tint like a really light fake tan and it washed off ( I didn't let it dry on there.) Should it be more orange or is that about right?

As long as you get stain, the henna is working. I got orange stains that ranged from soft fake tan to dark orange. And I always got good stain on my hair. (I used rajastani henna from Henna4Hair.)

Any stains you get on your scalp, face or elsewhere will fade away very quickly. If you want to remove them even faster, especially from your face, exfoliate. :D

Dreams_in_Pink
March 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM

I read somewhere that if you apply vaseline to skin around your hairline it will prevent from staining. But I haven't tried it.

Buggheart
March 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I read somewhere that if you apply vaseline to skin around your hairline it will prevent from staining. But I haven't tried it.

That is true. You can even use lotion. I have a stick called Repelle that I get from the beauty supply store because it's easier to just rub it on like a lip balm (better control) and it doesn't feel gross on my skin like Vaseline.

Milui Elenath
March 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Thankyou all, the test strand came out excellent, I was planning on putting some lotion on my skin as I don't even own any vaseline - I hate petroleum based products. I will post pictures after Saturday when I do my hair.

SimplyLonghair
March 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Thankyou all, the test strand came out excellent, I was planning on putting some lotion on my skin as I don't even own any vaseline - I hate petroleum based products. I will post pictures after Saturday when I do my hair.

Coconut oil works well on the skin too.

When I henna I use a water and rice flour mix so that I use very little henna for the dye effect.

I use about 12 oz of water that I heat up and then add the rice flour, like I am making a gravy or pudding. Then I let it cool to warm not hot and add about 50 grms of henna. It is enough to cover my waist long almost hip hair.

The warm rice water mixture helps speed up the dye release. I use way less henna but get the color I like.

:cheese:

Milui Elenath
March 13th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I know I am a pest but I didn't want to start another thread and I have another question. I am doing my whole head (hair :) )with Henna tomorrow afternoon at 2:00, I am about to mix up the Henna leaving it for 8 hr means it will be ready 8am in the morning, should I freeze it , put it in the fridge or just leave it till 2:00? I don't want the dye to demise and I won't be home in the morning.

Pierre
March 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
It can leak out and get on your pillowcase, so do use the dark blue pillowcase. I just do roots, so it doesn't leak out when I henna. I think it'll wash off linen. Do not use a silk pillowcase when hennaing, though; it will get stained. (Not that I've tried, but silk and hair are both protein.)

I don't bother with dye release. I mix the henna, squirt it on my head, wrap it up, and go to bed. Thus I get no stains on my hands, except the intentional ones (I henna my nails at the same time).