PDA

View Full Version : George Michael experience in London

Anlbe
March 10th, 2009, 02:11 AM
So yesterday I went to the George Michael salon in London on Maddox Street.
I went with clean dry hair and forty five minutes later I had lost most of my split ends, but only lost half and inch in length. He actually apologised for taking so much off!

So happy I rediscovered GM, will definitely be going back for my next trim.

I tried to take a photo but none of them came out, the remarkable thing about the cut is how blunt it is, my hair looks really thick all the way to the ends. Before it was quite wispy and actually had patches which were substantially shorter. I hadn't noticed it before but they have a long double mirror so I could actually see my hair properly.

Heavenly Locks
March 10th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Oh how fun! I am envious :) Thanks for sharing your experience!

Unofficial_Rose
March 10th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Ooh, thankyou for posting this!

I was thinking of going to GM in London when I feel like a professional trim, i.e. not just a self-trim, but a recommendation is invaluable. :D

Very elegant updo in your avatar, btw, and the colour is lovely!

magpielaura
March 10th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Do you mind me asking how much it cost for a trim there? I'm expecting way out of my price range, but it would be interesting to know. Did you see what they did?

jojo
March 10th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I was just going to ask that too!

Loviatar
March 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM
There is a GM salon in London?! I am so there!

Thirding the price requests, please :)

I am glad you had a good experience!

misstwist
March 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Okay, see, I know GM is a hair salon, but in my morning addlepated state I got all excited about a WHAM! sighting. :rolleyes:

Glad you had a good experience.

Carolyn
March 10th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I'm so glad you hear you had such a nice experience. I like their philosphy of snipping off just the splits and losing very minimal overall length.

Pixna
March 10th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Okay, see, I know GM is a hair salon, but in my morning addlepated state I got all excited about a WHAM! sighting. :rolleyes:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!! :rollin:

Glad you had such a great experience, Anlbe. Too bad the photos didn't turn out -- I would have loved to see your "after" pic.

heidi w.
March 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
My experience at the GM salon in NYC (Manhattan) was just as positive, and I too noted the hemline thickness. I was very surprised by this. That hemline lasted a good 6 months, and even at this moment, still reveals a nice line.

I swear, they somehow have different scissors or a trimming method to produce this effect.

The split-end trim where they cull through all the length is a wonderful experience, too.

Did you leave with a nice updo, or leave it down? They made me a beautiful, comfortable updo of varying texture effects.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Did the London GM salon have all kinds of hair ornament goodies to purchase (safe for hair) and combs of various sorts to purchase?

This affects the $ one brings to this experience.

Also, I recommend a large tip! Even for "just" a trim. This is a specialized salon where one is guaranteed care for longer tresses.

heidi w.

unaspenser
March 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Sounds wonderful. I wish there was a GM salon near me. I could use a nice trim.

Unofficial_Rose
March 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Glad you had a good experience.

Wonder if the "drinks are free?" :p got to be worth asking!

(Well, I'd have to ask. Bet they've never heard that before etc)

LHGypsyRose
March 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Wow you are lucky! I would love to have my trimmed at a GM salon!! Even if it doesn't need it, I don't care! lol

enfys
March 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.patrickludde.com/long-hair-clinic.html

This looks to be the website, so I guess the prices etc must match these.

It's a shame I rarely get to go to London. I've never trusted a "pro" to cut my hair!

pdy2kn6
March 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM
wow, i never knew there was a gm salon in england. wahey. I will be arranging my next hair cut to be wrapped up in a weekend to london. thanks for sharing

wendyg
March 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Considering the effort it sounds like they put in, the price for a dry trim seems relatively modest.

wg

BlackfootHair
March 10th, 2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.patrickludde.com/long-hair-clinic.html

This looks to be the website, so I guess the prices etc must match these.

It's a shame I rarely get to go to London. I've never trusted a "pro" to cut my hair!

Woah...that girl has gorgeous hair!!!

LutraLutra
March 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Oh sure, you've got to have faith-a-faith-a-faith-aaah!

Glad you had a great hairdresser experience.

Pixna
March 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Oh sure, you've got to have faith-a-faith-a-faith-aaah!

Okay, that just cracks me up!!! :laugh:

jojo
March 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
thats quite reasonable, my daughter lives an hour away from London I might just have to pay them a visit.

Anlbe
March 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
The dry trim was £40, which by London standards is very reasonable. I didn't see any pretty hair things but I was definitely giving off the 'I don't want to buy any extras' vibe - am a bit skint this month.
The drink (tea) was free and they have a deal at the moment where if you are either recommended by someone or you do the recommending you get 25% off so if anyone want to be recommended pm me with your address and I'll send you the card!

p.s. yes I really should tip, but I never remember to take extra cash with me and always pay on card, pathetic excuse I know.

wintersun99
March 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I have this "GM experience" on my "list of things to do someday" maybe as a treat when I finally hit MBL or maybe Waist length? I think there is a salon in Cali. which would be close enough to make a special trip. Hmmmmm, must grow faster! :D

skay
March 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Wow, sounds like a great place to go to.

The part about the how the hemline is evened out sounds amazing.

lynnala
March 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Oh boy! Next time I'm in London I'm going to treat myself! Because if I am in London, it will mean I have some extra cash to spend!

LadyEliza
March 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Wish they had one in Brisbane!

Anlbe
March 11th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Oh and the stylist, Neil, put my hair up afterwards, I think it was a sort of figure eight thingy. He's said before (I used to go to the salon when it was in Fortnum and Maisons as a teenager) that if you're going out for a fancy evening or something he does the big fancy updos too, I think that's his thing, fantastic updos.

Took a photo of hair, not very good photo but it shows my lovely new hairline which is normally very whispy
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=477&pictureid=33874
it probably won't appear, I don't seem to be able to move photos from my album to threads, but if you go to my album you can see it

heidi w.
March 11th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Actually, at the NYC(Manhattan) salon, they offered me quite a variety of herbal teas to sip while they worked on my hair!

heidi w.

jel
March 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
The drink (tea) was free and they have a deal at the moment where if you are either recommended by someone or you do the recommending you get 25% off so if anyone want to be recommended pm me with your address and I'll send you the card!

I'll bear that in mind, thanks Anlbe! A good few months still to go until I reach tailbone and start maintaining, i.e. trimming again.

jojo
December 19th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Bumping up this thread, I forgot all about it!

Tabitha
May 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Has anybody else been here recently? I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Oh and people who've been - this may sound like a silly question, but do they play music there? my current stylist is lovely but the salon is quite young & trendy and plays Kiss FM radio (dance, hiphop, R&B) very loud, and I just can't face it any more.

Carolyn
May 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Oh and people who've been - this may sound like a silly question, but do they play music there? my current stylist is lovely but the salon is quite young & trendy and plays Kiss FM radio (dance, hiphop, R&B) very loud, and I just can't face it any more.Oh Tabs, I hear ya! I can't stand the loud music a lot of places are playing. It's not necessarily WHAT they play, it's how loud they play it. I don't see the point in drowning out all possibility of conversation.

Madora
May 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Man, do I sympathize with you! I loathe loud music period. Can you bring earplugs?

The GM salon in NYC always had soft "elevator" music (which I enjoy) playing in the background. Also had Broadway tunes. I very pleasant ambiance all way 'round!

I thoroughly recommend having the GM treatment - the whole enchilada - at least once in your life! An unforgettable experience!

Othala
May 29th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Sigh....I would love to have a GM treatment but I do not want any hair cut, not even a dusting and I use no heat to dry my hair so the roller-set is out.

Still I would love for my hair to have oodles of deep conditoner massaged into it and then capped off under heat for a couple of hours.

Mesmerise
May 29th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I'd love to visit a GM salon! Does anyone know if there are any in Australia? It's not like I can afford it right now...but once I get to goal length it'd be a lovely treat!

maysum
May 29th, 2011, 05:41 AM
WOW - I am so there! Pity it is in Mayfair though - bit of a pain to get to. Still, can always get a cab after work or something (well, one doesn't get ones hair cut in Mayfair every day *hair flick*). The prices look very reasonable, given the location. Next payday I am so booking in. *squee*

lorelai2012
May 29th, 2011, 07:54 AM
i'm definitely going to try this as i am paranoid about going to the hairdressers and losing all my length.

Becky Safari
May 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I would kill for such a positive salon experience! Good for you, I'm glad you are so happy with the result. Shame there are no pictures, TLHC loves photos.

Panth
May 30th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I would kill for such a positive salon experience! Good for you, I'm glad you are so happy with the result. Shame there are no pictures, TLHC loves photos.

She does have a photo in her album. ^_^

Zesty
May 30th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I looked it up, and apparently there are two George Michael affiliate salons in and near Columbus, OH... which would be a 3-4 hour drive from here, but is it worth it? Quite possibly. Maybe I could make it a yearly pilgrimage around my birthday. :D

Ashenputtel
May 30th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hum, that sounds nice. I'm going to NYC this fall... I'm not sure my boyfriend would quite understand the stop though...

levelek
May 30th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Has anybody else been here recently? I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Oh and people who've been - this may sound like a silly question, but do they play music there? my current stylist is lovely but the salon is quite young & trendy and plays Kiss FM radio (dance, hiphop, R&B) very loud, and I just can't face it any more.

Don't know what counts as recently, but I went last autumn (I think in October or November). We agreed that he'd cut 'above' the point we figured out would be a flattering spot, so I have room to grow to it given how infrequently I go. He ended up cutting further above than I thought, which is at least partly my fault for not being more precise.

Anyway, now I'm thinking of going again so clearly I've moved past the trauma :) He did give me a nice and swishy hemline.

I don't have any recollections about the music, which means that it must not have been intrusive, otherwise I would have noticed as well.

I have a question as well for people who'd been to the London salon: how much would you tip, and how (add it to the bill, hand it in cash to the guy while he sees you out to the receptionist)?

Tabitha
May 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Oh Tabs, I hear ya! I can't stand the loud music a lot of places are playing. It's not necessarily WHAT they play, it's how loud they play it. I don't see the point in drowning out all possibility of conversation.
I'm an old fogey (stuck in the 80s or earlier, musically) and I hate that dancey R&B urban style of "youth" music ... the kind of music which tends to emanate from small cars so that they seem to vibrate with it when they stop at traffic lights. It sounds so aggressive to my ears and when it's played so loud it just makes it worse.

Man, do I sympathize with you! I loathe loud music period. Can you bring earplugs?

The GM salon in NYC always had soft "elevator" music (which I enjoy) playing in the background. Also had Broadway tunes. I very pleasant ambiance all way 'round!

I thoroughly recommend having the GM treatment - the whole enchilada - at least once in your life! An unforgettable experience!
Thanks for the recommendation, Madora! I'd feel conspicuous with earplugs but elevator music or show tunes at background level sounds perfectly acceptable to me.

I looked it up, and apparently there are two George Michael affiliate salons in and near Columbus, OH... which would be a 3-4 hour drive from here, but is it worth it? Quite possibly. Maybe I could make it a yearly pilgrimage around my birthday. :D
Several people on here have reported very favourably on Enchantress in Olmsted Falls, run by Lance & Jody. There's a whole thread about it here One Enchanted Day (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=658510&highlight=enchantress+lance+jody#post658510).

Don't know what counts as recently, but I went last autumn (I think in October or November). We agreed that he'd cut 'above' the point we figured out would be a flattering spot, so I have room to grow to it given how infrequently I go. He ended up cutting further above than I thought, which is at least partly my fault for not being more precise.

Anyway, now I'm thinking of going again so clearly I've moved past the trauma :) He did give me a nice and swishy hemline.

I don't have any recollections about the music, which means that it must not have been intrusive, otherwise I would have noticed as well.

I have a question as well for people who'd been to the London salon: how much would you tip, and how (add it to the bill, hand it in cash to the guy while he sees you out to the receptionist)?
Thanks levelek! by "recently" I just meant ... "I'm bumping up this old thread, has anybody been since then?" 6 months ago sounds pretty recent to me :) and it will be the same guy, Neil Ward still.
Nice to know that there wasn't obtrusive music!

I'm not particularly fussed about retaining length - my hair's only got to "almost waist" again through unbenign neglect. It's looking ratty and I know the ends need trimming but I'm not currently up for the discussion which going to a mainstream salon would involve, about either the style/lack thereof, or the colour (I have a definite demarcation line as it's at least 9 months since I had my lowlights done). Swishy sounds good, my hair lacks swish.

As for tipping, the usual deal is a quid or so in the hand for the shampooer and about 10% or more for the stylist, either pressed into the hand with a "Thank you" as you leave or some fancy salons have little envelopes where you can leave cash tips as you pay your bill, to avoid embarrassment. However I've also heard that when the salon owner does your hair, it's not appropriate to tip, as they aren't an employee - and presumably Neil falls into this category. If any stylists or salon owners read this, maybe they could help us by elaborating on this?

General comment: I do remember some while back a curly haired person reporting that the GM method doesn't seem as well suited to very curly hair, both in their method of dry cutting and in the roller set.

Zesty
May 30th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Several people on here have reported very favourably on Enchantress in Olmsted Falls, run by Lance & Jody. There's a whole thread about it here One Enchanted Day (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=658510&highlight=enchantress+lance+jody#post658510).

I found a site for that salon also, and it looked very nice, but I'm in Kentucky and a drive there would be more like 5-6 hours. :( The one I looked at is Rapunzel's Long Hair Salon (http://www.rapunzelsthelonghairsalon.com/) in Columbus, which is closer and seems fairly legitimate. If anyone has any experience there or knows anything about it I'd love to hear.

Tabitha
July 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I finally made it to the George Michael salon in Maddox Street (just across the road from Liberty in Regent Street), last Saturday. It was an English summer's day of heavy showers, strong breezes and sunshine so my hair was in a hood and blown around a lot - hence the fuzziness in the After pic.

The hairdresser, Neil Ward, seemed a sympathetic and enthusiastic chap. I had the one hour treatment, followed by the roller set, and then the dry trim was done after that.

I have a bad back and I did find the time in the chair, firstly under the heat cap and then under the drier, to be a trial especially as I needed a little extra time in the drier just when I thought I could escape and stretch! but afterwards, my hair felt lovely and silky and my hemline was much improved.

I had also explained to him about the weird flaky patch on my scalp and he put an extra dab of the 1 Hour treatment on it - and just as he said, it has helped that a lot - I'd love to know what's in the treatment!

To finish, he parted my hair on its normal side (had I not had chin length growing out fringe pieces, he said he would have parted against the natural parting to encourage strong and healthy growth and improved blood circulation from exercising the arrector pilli muscles) and made rope braids each side, put the two sides together at the back and used the thinner braid as 1/3 and each half of the thicker braid (from the side with more hair due to the side parting) as the other 2/3, to make a normal braid. Then he looped the braid around the base of the braid, tucked the tail under and pinned.

After the "stretch test" he said my hair had about 1.5% moisture and was healthy enough to need only a Maintenance plan, not a Treatment regimen. He had used the Cream shampoo on me, not the Blue as he said my hair was not oily.

The products are very expensive in the UK - I could only afford to buy one of them so he said, if I could only take one, for my hair it would have to be the Cream Rinse (£24, = US$39). I do understand what LHCers have said about the overpoweringly babypowder-like scent of the products - particularly noticed this in the enclosed setting of the car, for our 90 minute drive home, and it became quite sickly.

He used his own 20 year old BBB on me doing the brushing upside down thing but in general my hair doesn't like to be brushed and although his vintage brush was soft, I don't think I'll be shelling out the £160 for a new one.

I was told not to get my hair wet for 3 days so I waited out Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before washing on Wednesday. My hair, especially the grownout fringe really needed washing by then, I don't think my hair likes conditioner/cream rinse on the scalp.

After washing a couple of times at home, airdrying once and blowdrying once, my hair does feel smoother and healthier. I noticed the improvement particularly when I blowdried it straight; my hair never looks very shiny or groomed when I airdry. The cream rinse is good stuff, doesn't have too strong a baby powder smell by itself. I only just found the instructions he printed for me - he said use ½ teaspoon in ½ litre of water (about a pint) whereas I'd followed the words on the bottle "a few squirts" so I was using too much.

Bottom line: I was glad I went, and will probably go back - he said in 2 months' time for just a dry trim, then in 4 months, another treatment.

Ignore the fact that I desperately need to do something about my growing out hi/lowlights and increasing silvers:

Before (indoors)
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2914/hairpregm.jpg

After (outside, dull day)
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8918/hairpostgm.jpg

Closeup to help me replicate that 'do
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7000/hairpostgmclose459.jpg

Delila
July 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM
What an interesting updo, your hair does look great!

I'm glad you had a good experience.

I wonder, though, was the deep treatment scented? I only ask, because I've been using nothing but GM for a while now, and barely notice any scent in my hair, and I'm usually pretty sensitive to fragrance heavy products. Was just wondering if that might have been part of the reason for the heavy scent you noticed in the car. (Or maybe having conditioner on the scalp? I never do that, since my scalp doesn't like it.) Sorry to ramble, just wondering. :)

Fairlight63
July 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
That sounds so wonderful to be able to go to the George Michael salon! Sounds so EXCITING!!!

Your hair looks so beautiful!

Madora
July 26th, 2011, 02:32 PM
@Tabitha...

Thanks very much for that interesting report of your day at the GM salon!

Glad everything went well for you. Your hair looks wonderful!

Alaia
July 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread until now! Tabitha your hair looks amazing!

He didn't do any sort of style with my hair though. I think he was busy (a couple of clients in there and one waiting when I left) and my hair took much longer than he expected to dry (it took over 1 and a half hours! I went in at 9 and left close to 12).

I'm going to add to the generally glowing reviews and do a bit of a copypasta from my blog.

So, according to the gentleman who cut my hair today, I have extremely fine hair.

So I would have to use the George Michael Blue Shampoo ("A special formula for slightly oily, limp and very fine hair"), which is what they used on my hair today. I have to say... I was very impressed with this visit.

Mr Neil Ward was fantastic, he showed me stuff I didn't know, he talked to me about hair (a lot) and he cut off less than I asked him to! My hair looks fabulous, if I do say so myself. Mostly down to the products used and the expertise of Neil. Possibly also due to the hair set that I had (yeah me in rollers under that typical 50s machine for... an hour and a bit).

The George Michael products they used... so. They used the Blue Shampoo (lathered twice but they used so little of the shampoo that it was fine), the 12 Minute Conditioner (which cost extra)... they put it into dry hair before wetting and shampooing and then putting it on for the 12 minutes. Lastly, they used the Cream Rinse thing (apparently to close the cuticles) followed by a cold water rinse.

I hate the smell. Well, I don't hate it, but it isn't my preferred smell by a long shot. Smells like talcum powder mixed with something else.

However, it has made my hair... amazing. I'm really impressed... and... my scalp isn't itching any more! At all.

So I was all prepared to buy some of these products but then he told me the price. £24 for the shampoo, £24 for a different conditioner, £33 for the 12 minute conditioner, £24 for the cream rinse.

He did say that he has a client who has knee-length hair who uses only two bottles of the blue shampoo a year. So, put that way, I suppose it is not bad. I still want them. Probably I'll go for the 12 minute conditioner first (because he said that I could use it as a leave in for when I'm on holiday to protect my hair from the sun) and then get the rest.

All in all it was a very expensive salon trip (£123 before tip, lucky my mother had given me enough). But my hair looks so much better now, because of the cut, and because of the products they used in my hair.

I think I'm a George Michael convert.

Before and after pics are on my Blog entry dated 7th July :)

I have since obtained the GM products from the US at $18 each instead of £24 each, and I can say that the smell does not linger in my hair, therefore I must assume that the roller set sealed the smell into my hair. Delila this may explain why you don't smell much!

After the "stretch test" he said my hair had about 1.5% moisture and was healthy enough to need only a Maintenance plan, not a Treatment regimen.

So my "stretch test" revealed 1% moisture (not surprising to me, actually) so he made me an 8 week repairing plan and told me to come back in 8 weeks for a deep treatment. I sincerely want to, but don't think I can afford it. I will probably just go back for a trim instead (for less than half the price).

I started the 8 weeks from Saturday, when I finally got my GM products.

woodlandnymph
July 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Tabitha, thanks for sharing your GM visit. Your hair looks amazing!!

I've used the GM Cream Shampoo and Cream Rinse for nearly a decade, and hopefully one day I'll have the pleasure of visiting a GM salon...However, in the meantime I'll enjoy reading others' experiences. :D

Delila
July 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Alaia, thanks for sharing your experiences too! Sounds great. I like the trim you got, it looks very nicely done.

I'm thinking I'd benefit from a professional trim, but am too chicken to just find someone (i.e., not a GM trained specialist) to do it. Oh, how I wish I lived close enough. Ah, well.

TheMelodiousOne
July 26th, 2011, 04:59 PM
It does sound just that amazing... but I definitely can't justify going all the way to London until I've reached some sort of goal. Maybe however long it is by the time I've worked up the dosh for the full shebang? :p

Grow hair, grow!

irishlady
July 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Wow that is great! I really need to go to one someday...my last haircut was...well...not hair friendly. She ripped this awful sharp metal brush through my hair :rolleyes:

mrs.bad85
July 26th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I am planning on a New Years trip to Seattle to see some friends with my husband by that time I should be at BSL (YAY!) So I believe that is worth a trim to keep it looking nice.

And due to the fact that I highly doubt that there is a GM salon in Boise does anyone know if there is one in Seattle.

Thanks so much

:cheese:BSL here I come :cheese:

Happymoonlight
February 8th, 2012, 08:09 AM
will it be possible to buy his shampoos and conditioners online ?

Madora
February 8th, 2012, 08:28 AM

The only place I know of is Enchantress in Illinois:

http://www.enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html

You might want to see if you can order products from Neil Ward, the GM stylist in Mayfair, London

shesasmartass
February 8th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hahhahaa..I was thinking the whole "Wham" sighting too!

Neorah
February 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
So exciting to hear happy hair-cutting stories, and the results are gorgeous! :D There's a GM salon here in California, in Beverly Hills, and I'm thinking I just might have to make myself an appointment one of these days...

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM

Yes.

Example:

Madora salon website in NYC/Manhattan.

http://madoralonghairheaven.com/madoraprod1.html
This is the PRODUCTS page of their website.

Most Madora websites offer a phone number, if you're reluctant to order online.

In Ohio .... Rapunzel's salon (GM)

This GM salon claims to exist in New Jersey.....
http://businessfinder.nj.com/3952751/George-Michael-Salon-Newton-NJ

http://www.yelp.com/biz/george-michael-of-beverly-hills-beverly-hills
Beverly Hills, CA

http://www.merchantbook.com/index.php?option=com_mbprofile&task=profile&profile=company&userid=20708423:george-michael-hair-salon&Itemid=262
This claims to be in Florida....

Some of these salons may now be closed. I know NYC and the Ohio salons are still open. Not sure of New Jersey, and Florida locales. I know Beverly Hills, CA still is open.

I am not aware of such a salon in existence in Seattle, Washington, however.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
The only place I know of is Enchantress in Illinois:

http://www.enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html

You might want to see if you can order products from Neil Ward, the GM stylist in Mayfair, London

I've visited this salon and spoken with Lance. Never met Judy. Apparently, Lance is a master of color. It's a very small salon when I saw it.

heidi w.

pepperminttea
February 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there ingredients lists for the products anywhere? :) I'm intrigued by the 12 minute conditioner, but that's a hefty price tag to pay blindly.

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there ingredients lists for the products anywhere? :) I'm intrigued by the 12 minute conditioner, but that's a hefty price tag to pay blindly.

GM products are not necessarily inexpensive, nor is a visit to the salon for even a mere trim. A visit will last a lot longer than an hour because a consultation is the first step. That's part of the way they do things.

I have never used their products because I have a very irritating scalp skin condition that most products aggravate.

Knowing how to use said product is very important. One can call a salon and inquire, I believe.

heidi w.

CarpeDM
February 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Just to update, that one in Jupiter FL has been closed for ten years...

Yes.

Example:

Madora salon website in NYC/Manhattan.

This is the PRODUCTS page of their website.

Most Madora websites offer a phone number, if you're reluctant to order online.

In Ohio .... Rapunzel's salon (GM)

This GM salon claims to exist in New Jersey.....
http://businessfinder.nj.com/3952751/George-Michael-Salon-Newton-NJ

http://www.yelp.com/biz/george-michael-of-beverly-hills-beverly-hills
Beverly Hills, CA

http://www.merchantbook.com/index.php?option=com_mbprofile&task=profile&profile=company&userid=20708423:george-michael-hair-salon&Itemid=262
This claims to be in Florida....

Some of these salons may now be closed. I know NYC and the Ohio salons are still open. Not sure of New Jersey, and Florida locales. I know Beverly Hills, CA still is open.

I am not aware of such a salon in existence in Seattle, Washington, however.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Just to update, that one in Jupiter FL has been closed for ten years...

I thought so. I just didn't know how long it's been closed.

Thank you.

heidi w.

CarpeDM
February 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I thought so. I just didn't know how long it's been closed.

Thank you.

heidi w.

I sooo wish they were open! There isn't much for us down here in the southeast :(

Tabitha
February 8th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Don't know if there's a list - couldn't find it on the GM website (http://www.george-michael.de/en/products/treating-the-hair-conditioners/) it says ask in salons for more info - but I have a pot in the bathroom here.

1x Aqua (water), Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Myristyl Myristate, C-12-13 Alkyl Lactate, Panthenol, Acid [sic], Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Prophylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Tetrasodium edta

Not for the parabenphobic!

gracenotes
February 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM
You all are enabling me so much! I'm in London right now on a semester abroad. I *could* go, technically... I'll make sure to post all the details if I do end up going!

Madora
February 8th, 2012, 01:14 PM
You all are enabling me so much! I'm in London right now on a semester abroad. I *could* go, technically... I'll make sure to post all the details if I do end up going!

Oh, I hope you do, gracenotes! It's a hair experience like none other!

pepperminttea
February 8th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks so much Tabitha! :flower: Wow, that is quite a lot of parabens!

Euphoria.Dame
February 8th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Are there any salons near Las Vegas, Neada?

Euphoria.Dame
February 8th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Whooops *NEVADA lol

Kitsu
February 8th, 2012, 02:27 PM
This seems like a lovely goal length treat. I hope I remember this place when I get there

melusine963
February 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM
The dry trim was £40, which by London standards is very reasonable. I didn't see any pretty hair things but I was definitely giving off the 'I don't want to buy any extras' vibe - am a bit skint this month.

p.s. yes I really should tip, but I never remember to take extra cash with me and always pay on card, pathetic excuse I know.

Sadly it would cost me that much again at least to get to London from where I am, and I'm not quite willing to spend £80 on a trim, no matter how good the experience would be. I think in the meantime I'll learn to self-trim, and hope I find an excuse to travel down to London before too long.

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 01:58 PM

They offered me tea for free to drink during my entire time spent at Madora in NYC/Manhatton salon.

heidi w.

saffy2yrs
June 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Has anyone been to the salon in Beverly Hills? I live in California, and was wondering if anyone had a review of this salon. I am thinking I might go in early august to have my hair look its best before a reunion.

AnqeIicDemise
June 26th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Has anyone been to the salon in Beverly Hills? I live in California, and was wondering if anyone had a review of this salon. I am thinking I might go in early august to have my hair look its best before a reunion.

I too want to know! I didn't know there was one in BV until recently and I'm kicking myself for not having visited last time I was in Cali. Though granted, my hair was chin length at the time, but still...

Madora
June 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM

I've been...but when they were located in another location (Brentwood? Westwood?).

Very pleased with the service and my hair looked marvelous. This was way back in the 70s.

The GM experience is like none other. They know and appreciate long hair.

pepperminttea
July 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Has anyone been to Neil Ward just for a dry trim, nothing else? What was it like? Did you tip? (I know for the US folks tipping is normal, but it's fairly unknown waters to me.) And when you booked, how far in advance did you have to schedule it? I'm seriously considering it after the Olympics madness has passed, but I'm going away mid-September so I don't want to miss my window. :)

And on the off chance anyone has a scalp condition, how was he with it? I have psoriasis on my scalp and the typical reaction I used to get from hairdressers was disgust or them assuming I have nits, neither of which do much for a girl's self-esteem. :p

millyaulait
July 19th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I would loooooooove to go here once I reach waist! :crush:

jacqueline101
July 19th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I've never been to a GM salon but it sounds great.

Happymoonlight
September 9th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Hello everybody, could someone please give me the full address of the London GM Salon?

Would be very helpful :-)

pepperminttea
September 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Hello everybody, could someone please give me the full address of the London GM Salon?

Would be very helpful :-)

The Long Hair Clinic @ Patrick Ludde Salon & Spa
22 Maddox Street
LONDON
W1S 1PW

Source (http://patrickludde.com/long-hair-clinic-2). :)

teal
September 9th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I think I'll have to be on the lookout for one of these. I haven't heard of one here. I would like to go when my hair is a little longer... I don't want to go back above hip again.

Madora
September 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
There are no GM salons in Canada, and only 3 in the US (the original salon in NYC, Enchantress in Ohio and the salon in Beverly Hills).

There used to be one in Las Vegas, years ago, but I don't know if it is still there.

Happymoonlight
September 9th, 2012, 09:34 AM
@ pepperminttea: Thank you very much; I hope they will ship some of their products; otherwise I have to order them from amazon.de in Germany.

Living in West Yorkshire feels to me like living behind the moon ;-)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 10th, 2012, 01:36 AM
@ pepperminttea: Thank you very much; I hope they will ship some of their products; otherwise I have to order them from amazon.de in Germany.

Living in West Yorkshire feels to me like living behind the moon ;-)

Try living in New Zealand then, more like the back side of Mars but with better scenery, lol.

LMB
February 20th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Just wanted to bump this up and see if anyone has been recently?
I am going to be in London next month and again in May.
I'd love to go next month but I'm unsure if I could get an appointment this close, and I'm only at BSL so perhaps May time would work out better, it's just that I get impatient when I want something wonderful, and this sounds exceptionally wonderful! :D