PDA

View Full Version : Advice for protecting hair during plane travel.

IndigoInk
March 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Alright so I've been here about....3 days or so now. (well I lurked for about a week before I registered LOL) I went to the store tonight and got a BBB, Coconut Oil, Aloe Gel & Gelatin. :D

I'm so excited! I can't stop sniffing the coconut oil either. I'm going to Ohio for spring break to see my sister and I plan on doing an SMT (my first) before I go and then oiling my hair before I get on the plane and keeping it up in a braided bun or something.

Usually flying makes my hair and skin freak out and I'm hoping to avoid that at least somewhat this time. Is the coconut oil a good idea or is there something else I can do to protect my hair on the flight to and from?

Heavenly Locks
March 10th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Are you mostly looking to protect it from dryness, wear, tangles or something else? :) Congrats on the coconut oil. I am also a user and lover. It's amazing for your diet as well as your hair!

pdy2kn6
March 10th, 2009, 06:06 AM
i agree, it is great to have such a nice smelling oil you can smuther on your hair. i too am a hardcore fan of coconut oil. How do you mean your hair freaks out? My skin always ffreaks out as in breaks out when i fly on airoplanes, i have no idea now. I think a braided bun should be fine for your hair? Just make sure you don't have to give up your hairstick if a security officer doesnt like the look of it (there was actually a thread on this a while back). My hair when i have travelled in the past actually has been really odd when i have sorted it out in the past in the bathroom, like it would often become really static and when i would comb it sometimes it would stick out again, but that may just be a one off...have a safe flight

MemSahib
March 10th, 2009, 06:40 AM
My only suggestion would be to not use a bun because it will be hitting against the back of the headrest the whole time. Uncomfortable. Most people who fly with long hair choose a simple braid hanging down. Or, I guess crown braids would work nicely since they don't sit on the back of the head in a lump, so to speak. LOL.

sandigirl
March 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I fly a lot. I always wear a ponytail. Drink lots of water on the plane because you get VERY dehydrated. That is the main cause of hair and skin problems on planes. That and the dry air. Do not EVER open the vent above your head. It is recycled (not cleaned/filtered) air from EVERYONE on the plane's nose. Not only will you prevent sickness you will be doing a kind thing for your hair. Make sure you moisturize your face very well before you go. Your hair should be fine. You could brush it before you go and before you land.

taliarose
March 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I agree with MemSahib. Don't wear the bun. If you're going to be at all comfortable in the plane you want to be able to sit back. The bun will just get in the way. I usually fly with just a pony or a braid. The oil will help with the frizzing and will make your hair oh so soft. Congrats on the purchases and I hope the flight has a good movie. ;)

MemSahib
March 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Here is a demo for Elizabethan Hair Taping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME&feature=channel_page) you might be interested in trying. It's very pretty and would probably work great in your thick hair and I think it would be comfortable on a plane. Good luck whatever you decide!

scalawaggirl
March 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I fly a lot. I always wear a ponytail. Drink lots of water on the plane because you get VERY dehydrated. That is the main cause of hair and skin problems on planes. That and the dry air. Do not EVER open the vent above your head. It is recycled (not cleaned/filtered) air from EVERYONE on the plane's nose. Not only will you prevent sickness you will be doing a kind thing for your hair. Make sure you moisturize your face very well before you go. Your hair should be fine. You could brush it before you go and before you land.
This might explain why I don't get sick on flights! I despise air being blown on me so always, always shut the vent. :)

I do agree that water is in high order and that a braid or pony is a better solution as a bun will not be comfortable. Also, avoid alcohol as that is further dehydrating and especially so on an airplane.

Enjoy your trip!

IndigoInk
March 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Wow thanks! I didn't know about the air being recycled...ewwww. I will probably go with a long braid then, though buns aren't near as uncomfortable as when I wore those giant claw clips. :)

Yeah my skin breaks out, my hair turns into a big knotted frizz ball and my throat hurts.

what about bringing a small mister along with water or maybe leave-in? I have a tiny bottle I could use I think if it would help.

Speedbump
March 10th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I often do two braids on flights longer than 1 hour because that is the most comfy on the back of the head. It also helps you avoid dinging the metal detector with a hair stick or a ficcare. :silly:

atlantaz3
March 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
My dh is an airline maintenance co-ordinator and I'm not quite sure I agree with the unfiltered air from the vents. I fly often (great benefits) I put mine up in a bun for the trips through the airport, keeps hair out of shoulder straps! For long flights I usually just take mine down for naps or do a french braid. I also do lower and flatter buns for traveling.
Personally I don't like braids or ponys because I still get tangled up in luggage straps.

Edit - confirmed with DH air from vents is filtered.

RedStripe
March 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Not hair-related, but another bit of advice: If you wear contact lenses, take them out when flying. My eyes get super-dry on a plane. At the office of an eye doctor I used to go to, I mentioned that I always do this, and they expressed approval, saying they see a lot of corneal abrasions in people who leave their contact lenses in while flying.

I agree on not wearing a bun. I hate having a lump when I am trying to sit back and (try to) sleep.

Katze
March 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I fly a lot and just twist my hair and clip it up with a Ficcare, normally high enough on my head so it doesn't mess with leaning my head back - my flights are long (12-16 hours) back to see my family. For me, freshly washed hair just "thrown up" works best - and I have waves when I finally take it down. Braids get fuzzy and look weird from so much travel.

For skin, I'd recommend something like JASON's Ester-C toner - unfortunately mine got confiscated after one leg of a flight, but in the US this should not be a problem, or you can have it in a smaller spray bottle. Something to moisturize your skin in that dry air. Maybe even aloe and water in a spray bottle?

Drink LOTS of water, take some antioxidant vitamins (I like Airborne or Emergen-C) and taking out contact lenses is also a good idea.

Schefflera
March 10th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Last time I flew, on the way home (transatlantic flight) I believe I combed my hair out upside-down and put it in a French twist on top of my head. Anchored with a plastic comb, nothing to trigger any alarms. This was not particularly to protect it -- it hadn't complained about any previous flights -- just to have it not getting caught and not behind my head.

Pierre
March 10th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I'd probably do two Dutch braids, which is a common style for me (I'm wearing it right now). I can hold it with just the curliness of my hair, and so can Speedbump I guess, but maybe you'll need an elastic of some sort.

Another possibility is to make a bun on top of my head, or wrap my hair in a Buff.

Shandra
March 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I do a braided bun held up by a plastic stick or a clip while going through the airport and security... Then once I get settled into my seat, I take the bun out and just have the long braid.... best of both worlds.