PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair as Your Personal Blanket

LittleOrca
March 9th, 2009, 01:25 PM
In the summer, my hair is up. This keeps me cooler and keeps my hair from shielding in the heat on my back and causing a huge sweat mark... eww.

In the winter, I try to keep my hair up as well to protect it. However, there are just those days when I am still so cold I leave my hair down as a sort of living-blanket. I know the winter can dry out you hair, but with my CO washes and soaks, it's still silky smooth.

This got me wondering, how many people out there also use their hair from time to time as a blanket? Heck, with how much I love to cuddle my soft hair, it's my own snuggie! :lol:

KatKeRo
March 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I do.
I can only sleep when my ears are covered. My hair is perfect for this especially in summer when it is to warm to sleep with a blanket.

Periwinkle
March 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I don't leave my hair down during the day, but when I'm getting dressed, I often take it down just so that I can warm my poor shoulders.

adiapalic
March 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
my hair keeps my back, neck, and ears warm in the cold winter :)

*Amy*
March 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I do definitely. It also serves as a security blanket when I blush (which is a lot unfortunately - I can't help it!). I like when my hair hides my red blotchies. :o

AmyJorgensen
March 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I've gone farther than that. I've used my hair as a smell shield when someone has killer gas. Oh, shampoo smells so much better!:D

Copasetic
March 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I do this a lot in the winter. I wear a touque a lot when it is cold, which means I need to wear my hair down.

ratgirldjh
March 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM
totally. in the summer my hair is up - but in the winter if i put it up i get cold - LOL
and my hair is not quite APL - so i can't wait for it to get longer ;)

Monkey962
March 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Not a blanket per se, but a lovely cape. One of the things that I loved when my hair first started getting long was how well it kept my back warm. Maybe someday it will be a blanket. C:

jera
March 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM
In very cold temps I wrap my hair around my ears. It may look weird but it's so soft and so warm. :D

Carolyn
March 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I'm too hot most of the time but I've been known to take my hair down when I'm eating in a freezing cold restaurant and wearing a tank top.

Spike
March 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Heh--growing up and living in the desert southwest USA, cold hasn't been much of a problem--HEAT is.

So I've used my long hair as a personal coolant system for years--bundle it up, get it good and wet, and have an evaporative cooling unit on my head. Ahhhhh . . .

MemSahib
March 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
All the time. Here at the computer an air vent goes straight down your back so the air blows and the hair goes down. And like Carolyn I've taken mine down in freezing cold restaurants before though I don't wear tank tops.

JamieLeigh
March 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
When it's cold out, I definitely keep it up out of the weather, but when it's cold INSIDE...that's a different story. I soooooo use my hair as a blanket inside. :)

LadyLongLocks
March 11th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Yes! I have used my hair as a blanket. Sitting at the computer it keeps me warm. In the winter I use it as a scarf sometimes and wrap it around my neck. I have gone out like that too, but nobody has noticed...yet.

Anje
March 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm too hot most of the time but I've been known to take my hair down when I'm eating in a freezing cold restaurant and wearing a tank top.

Yep, I've done this too. Why do they keep restaurants at 60 degrees, anyway?

Linda K
March 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I've heard it's to help people "hurry-up and leave" to make room for the next guy.

That said, I've been wondering how I'd survive the winter as well. Mines not that long but what a difference. The most I can do is a half up! :D

BlackfootHair
March 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM

I can't speak for every restaurant, but I know when I worked at one we were super busy and I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Doing that, and running in and out of a hot kitchen makes you even hotter, so cooler temps just feel better. But yes, we did have customers ask us to adjust the air conditioner because they felt cold.

Jessikinz
March 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Yes! I have used my hair as a blanket. Sitting at the computer it keeps me warm. In the winter I use it as a scarf sometimes and wrap it around my neck. I have gone out like that too, but nobody has noticed...yet.

I was just about to say this.:o I too use mine as a scarf! So nice and warm, its hard not to wrap it around your neck like a scarf. I had to do this yesterday, with the -45 freezing cold weather. My neck stayed so toasty warm, I couldn't believe it. I tucked the rest underneath my jacket to protect it from being frozen and getting damaged.

BlackfootHair
March 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I was just about to say this.:o I too use mine as a scarf! So nice and warm, its hard not to wrap it around your neck like a scarf. I had to do this yesterday, with the -45 freezing cold weather. My neck stayed so toasty warm, I couldn't believe it. I tucked the rest underneath my jacket to protect it from being frozen and getting damaged.

I don't have long hair yet, but this is something I thought about more than once this winter. It was particularly nasty this winter and I wished I had long hair to wrap up in.

I am looking forward to being able to use my hair as a personal blanket. Whenever I go to sleep at night I have to take it out of my pony tail and bring it down over my ears as well. It just has this comforting feeling. :)

rags
March 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM

I can't remember the source (but you could perhaps google it if you weren't as lazy as I am today!) but they have done studies which show people eat more when the temperature is colder. So I suppose that translates to more profit? All I know is, I take sweaters to some restaurants even in high summer!

Edited to actually answer the OP! When my hair was longer, I would often leave it down to keep my neck warm. I don't do that so much now if I'm outdoors, but indoors, oh yes!