PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Conditioner?

Dreams_in_Pink
March 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
We all know leave-in hair conditioners. We also know that they cannot be applied to scalp.

I wonder if there are any leave-in conditioners that were made to moisturize scalp.

Homemade recipes are also welcome ;)

Queenie
March 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM
How about just rubbing one or two drops of oil between the tips of your fingers and then gently massage your scalp? I think I've read about people with dry scalp skin doing this.
I think it's tricky because you don't want your hair to get greasy from the product you're applying.

I know my scalp likes to be left alone as much as possible or I'll get itchies!

Heidi_234
March 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Oiling is a good suggestion.
But you might want to get to the root of the problem (hehe not really pun intended) - Do you use SLS shampoo? If you do, you might want to consider alternatives, as it might be that your scalp gets dried out by it. Less harsh cleansers like conditioners or sorbolene would be better. Herbal cleansers like soapnuts are very gentle on the scalp. Maybe you use something that sets the pH balance off? Washing with shampoo bars without ACV rinse afterward might do that. You might have unhealthy scalp from other reasons? I know that my scalp got healthier from monistat applications.
I have very dry hair and very dry scalp. My hair gets dry really fast, my scalp doesn't get oily even by day 7 after washing sometimes. What helped me the most was of course stop using shampoos. The MN helped. If you don't want to grease your scalp with oils, you could do heavy oilings before taking the shower, and little by little get your scalp to be healthier altogether, rather than looking for a 'quick fix'. :flower:

Arctic
March 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I've read many people report lots of shedding if they oil their scalp or put conditioner in it. Mind you also many people do not shed then.

I like applying aloe vera gel (optional: mixed with few drops of essential oils) into my scalp after the wash. I have very sensitive, oily scalp and this has helped to calm it down and keep it healthy! I doens't make hair look greasy, I can even use it between washes.

Debra83
March 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
3 capsules of Omega 3-6-9 a day should make a noticeable difference within a month. (eta: internally)

burns_erin
March 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Giovannia tea tree triple treet conditioner, diluted works fine on my scalp. But I honestly prefer grapeseed oil on my scalp as a "leave in" becuase the TTTT leaves my hair feeling and looking just as blah on the top as oil but I feel I get more benefit out of the oil.

freznow
March 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
My scalp LOVES catnip!

Flutterbee
March 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I have a similar problem. Switching to shampoo bars has helped but I think I will look into Omega capsules.

LaCitoyenne
March 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I often massage Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner into my scalp. I find it's an effective, moisturizing and gentle cleanser. But I must follow it up with an acid rinse.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

My problem is extreme flaking on my skin (not just my scalp; my nose, cheeks and even eyebrows!)
I recently used some kind of moisturizer on my face and flaking is almost gone. But no matter which cleanser (shampoo, soaps etc) i use i always have flakes on my scalp.
So that's why i wonder if there are scalp conditioners or not.

Oils used to cure this problem, but ever since i first hennaed my hair, they started to make everything worse. This is greatly dissappointing because i thought henna would reduce flaking on my scalp :(

burns_erin
March 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

My problem is extreme flaking on my skin (not just my scalp; my nose, cheeks and even eyebrows!)
I recently used some kind of moisturizer on my face and flaking is almost gone. But no matter which cleanser (shampoo, soaps etc) i use i always have flakes on my scalp.
So that's why i wonder if there are scalp conditioners or not.

Oils used to cure this problem, but ever since i first hennaed my hair, they started to make everything worse. This is greatly dissappointing because i thought henna would reduce flaking on my scalp :(

Ahh, I see. The question is-What oil have you used" I find, for my particular flakiness, that grapseed oil on my scalp with some EO's work wonders. I use rosehipseed oil on my face and that is too good (but a bit expensive on hair).

Check out the articles section on carrier oils and EO's.

Also, if your henna is TOO acidic it can cause some serious scalp issues. Also, if you are using lemon juice and have a sensitivity (as I do) you can realy make your scalp mad as a hatter with it (the lemon juice).

Dreams_in_Pink
March 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Also, if your henna is TOO acidic it can cause some serious scalp issues. Also, if you are using lemon juice and have a sensitivity (as I do) you can realy make your scalp mad as a hatter with it (the lemon juice).

Oh my :bigeyes:
That was EXACTLY what happened!! (I squeezed 4-5 lemons and left the paste on for over 5 hours!!!!)

It's been 2 years and my scalp is YET to recover...:brickwall

Jeni
March 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
So wait, you last did henna 2 years ago? I may be wrong but I wouldn't think you would still be having problems after 2 years...I mean I have had a chemical burn on my chest and didnt have issues with that area after 2 years.

Have you seen a doctor? If your head has been super dry and flaking that badly maybe there is something wrong. Try some of the suggestions listed, see if they work. I would definitely suggest trying an SLS free shampoo, that seems to help alot of people with dry/itchy scalps. You might want to consult a dermatologist if nothing else works.

For what it's worth I use conditioner (both rinse out and leave in) on my scalp and don't have an issue but then my scalp seems to be alright with a lot of things. Saying that I have never noticed using conditioner root to tip helped any itchiness on my scalp.

Anje
March 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Quite a few of us use conditioner on our scalps without any major issues. It's standard for CO washing. Personally, I suspect I shed slightly more when I put conditioner on my scalp, but it's difficult to say because the conditioner allows the shed hairs to come out more easily.

I've also gotten nasty irritation from too-acidic henna. You don't need to add any acid to henna, contrary to popular belief. But mine went away in a week or so...

You might want to have a doctor take a look at your scalp, since your symptoms might indicate some sort of infection up there. Otherwise, you might just want to get some cheap conditioner and try CO washing for a few weeks to give your scalp a break from all the soaps and sulfates. It might do the trick. (Finally, if your hair does well with protein, Sally's beauty sells an unscented conditioner called "Cure Care" which can also be used as a lotion.)