PDA

View Full Version : S&D Woes

joyellen
March 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I just got done doing an S&D mission that was pretty much an on-and-off all day event. There were so many.. it seemed like every time I thought I had a handle on them, a hundred more popped out. I know doing S&Ds is helping me keep my length as well as keeping my hair looking healthier, but sometimes I get discouraged by the sheer number of the little buggers. Does anyone else feel down in the dumps after a marathon S&D? :(

spidermom
March 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Oh yes, so much so that last year I decided "to heck with this" and began hacking my ends off at a point where I felt I could eliminate the most splits with one straight across the entire strand cut. I lost 4-5 inches of length after my very good stylist evened the bottom up for me, but it was totally worth it. I've decided that length isn't worth as much to me as having my ends in good condition, and I'd get a bunch cut off again in a heartbeat if I felt it necessary.

Cereus
March 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yes, sometimes it makes me feel like all my hair is really messed up. But it's because I'm just looking at the bad ends and not the good ones. And I worry that by cutting the splits off more will just start. But all in when I look at my hair in its totality in the mirror I believe S and D is helping the condition of my hair.

joyellen
March 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM
spidermom, after today I sure feel like hacking off some hair! If I can just make it to July without going nuts I think I'll be fine. That's when I set my next trim.

Cereus, I never thought about the fact that I'm only concentrating on the bad ends and not the good ones. That helps me to keep my chin up :)

spidermom
March 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
My next trim is scheduled for July too; what a coincidence.

BellaB
March 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I've done a S&D a few times before, and I get discouraged because I lose a lot of hair! I bring it on myself with all my heat styling and dying but those days are gone so hopefully my hair will need less splits cut off as the damage grows out.

joyellen
March 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
BellaB, mine are the product of heat styling and dye also. Luckily for my hair I don't use heat on it anymore, but I'm still a little undecided about the dye. I'm not a fan of my natural color so I'm thinking long and hard about henna and indigo. I might try a Lush Caca Brun bar, but I need more time to think it over.

trolleypup
March 8th, 2009, 10:12 PM
...I know doing S&Ds is helping me keep my length as well as keeping my hair looking healthier, but sometimes I get discouraged by the sheer number of the little buggers. Does anyone else feel down in the dumps after a marathon S&D? :(
Not too much...it always makes me feel better when, after I finish I detangle and comb out my hair and it is soooooo much easier!

It is, however, a never ending task...so best to keep at it and not have the giant sessions.

Juneii
March 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM
oh yeah, I used to get splits on every strand when I flat ironed my hair. even now, after I stopped, I still get like a ton. I thought that I take good care of my hair but I guess not.

Jeni
March 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I have noticed a recent increase in white dots and splits lately too, its discouraging. I try and remind myself that for hair that has been so abused (blond dye) the ends aren't as bad as they could be. It does sometimes feel that every hair has a dot or a split but in reality the vast majority are fine.

I have found that CWC, wearing my hair up, a coney leave in conditioner and monthly cassias have helped keep the ends as nice as they are. I also trim about an inch off every 6-7 months which helps keep the ends looking thick without me loosing a lot of length.

Kebbster
March 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Big sessions of it can be depressing, but I agree that overall it makes a difference. It can make my ends feels soft again. I know when ive been thinking about cutting, but decided to do a big S&D session instead, Ive been glad I did, afterwards I always think yeah I dont need a cut.

I second the comment about regular rather than the occasional big session. I find snipping a few easily seen ones just before I do my hair in the morning keeps them under control better than long sessions without the depressing side effect.

ktani
March 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I used to get discouraged when my hair was in bad condition. However, it made me even more determined to go over my routine and figure out what needed to be changed to "stabilize" my hair, to be able to grow it long and healthy.

At least you have figured out where your main problems come from.

I did a few things that helped, before I found that catnip prevented split ends for me, and reduced breakage.

I stopped combing and brushing and now separate my hair, with my hands. I bought satin acetate bedding. My winter hat has a satin acetate lining. I wear smooth material scarves.

All of these things made a differnce, but catnip helped me the most.

For you, it may be as simple as finding the right shampoo and conditioner, be they conventional or natural.

If you want to continue to dye your hair, a pretreatment with coconut and argan oils may help prevent damage.

There are many options out there, that you can consider to try.

There are those here, who are genetically hair blessed, (I am not one of them), with strong hair that requires relatively little attention, to look its best. I am in awe of these people but I make the best with what I have to work with and I like my hair.

I hope that you find what you need.

Doing s&d's help prevent futher damage to hair by eliminating hair that can catch on others and stress them more but stressing over the procedure is more harmful, IMO.

Transfer that negative energy into positive determination to explore options that can deal with the problems that cause the splits and breakage, and you will have a win win result.

julya
March 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I don't do S&D anymore. I don't think it makes my hair any nicer, so I decided to stop. I feel like I have just as many splits, but I don't worry about them anymore.

sneakybea
March 9th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I think what frustrates me most about doing a S&D is how inconsistent my splits seem to be. I'll pick up a lock of hair and see next to no splits, then I'll look in the same spot and find a ton of them. It probably has to do with the lighting as much as anything.
I try to be a good girl and set aside time to do my searching and destroying, and spend just that time I've allotted for it and no more. Otherwise I get caught up in the task and distracted from accomplishing other things.

steff8ryan
March 9th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I was thinking exactly this yesterday too ! I have decieded to spend a little time doing it every sunday tho and not to worry about it for the rest of the week.

Stephanie xx

joyellen
March 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks to everyone for your replies :D I think you all are right. Big marathon sessions are not the way to go. From now on I'll probably spend no more than 30 minutes at it each time. Maybe I'll try catnip to strengthen my ends, too.

lora410
March 9th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I used to S&D until i saw my ends gradually get thinner from it (see below pict) last night I cut off an inch and made a ____ thick hemline