PDA

View Full Version : I snapped my first hair stick today :(

edensapples
March 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
It was one I got off the swap boards, and my favorite :(

I still have the other one, at least.. but still.

So, I've decided I may need to focus on some metal ones..

the problem is, I don't really like silver :/

Can anyone point me in the right direction for indestructable hair sticks??

Thanks

karisaf
March 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Oh what a bummer :(

How about some bronze Quattros? Or aquapearl Ketylos? I also think Dymondwood is supposed to be stronger than regular wood so that might be an option if you still want the wood look.

edensapples
March 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Quattro... Quattro.. off to search!

edensapples
March 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Ok, Ebay... YES they have some bronze stuff and some copper too!

They are reasonably priced as well, sweet. Thank you karisaf :)

Off to look at Ketylos..

I will take all the suggestions I can get

edensapples
March 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Are the aquapearl Ketylos really stronger than the others?

I prefer the look of the natural woods, but once bought I don't want to have to replace them..

karisaf
March 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Glad you found the Quattros. I love the bronze serpentine set :)

I think the aquapearl are stronger as they are acrylic, but to be honest I am not 100% sure....maybe someone who knows for sure can weigh in?

I also wanted to add that I got a set of Beatnik505 hairsticks off Etsy last week and I can't imagine those EVER breaking. I know she has some thinner styles, but the ones I got are super thick and strong (and BEAUTIFUL!!!!). You might want to check those out.

spidermom
March 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
That's no fun. I broke a plastic hair stick months ago. It taught me - never force. If the stick isn't sliding in easily, start over. I've got a couple of pretty delicate looking wooden hair sticks, so I hope I don't break them. I have a couple of really hefty sticks, too. I think I'd have to be pounding them into place with a hatchet to break them.

avraea
March 9th, 2009, 12:07 AM
The aquapearl ones are acrylic, and are only a bit stronger than the average plastic ones, I've found. I've broken one before, and not using excessive force on it either.

eadwine
March 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Ketylos are thin, they will snap easier as well. I would suggest getting a stick made by amadlife0 (on ebay, or etsy). He does custom work, and doesn't ask too much for it :)

SHELIAANN1969
March 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Ketylos are thin, they will snap easier as well. I would suggest getting a stick made by amadlife0 (on ebay, or etsy). He does custom work, and doesn't ask too much for it :)

If anyone likes and wants the Ketylos, ask Kevin the maker, to make it thicker, (if you want it thicker) in the old style, I am sure he would do it, I don't like the thin ones either.

I don't know what this whole deal is with everyone making those thin sticks, when Graydog was making sticks last, it was a crapshoot if you got the original style or not.

bjt
March 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM
what about these hair sticks: http://www.craftycelts.com/celtic_hair.html
I just saw a reference to them on another thread, and they look really beautiful!

edited: here are some more:
http://www.craftycelts.com/celtic_hair.html
Lioncraftstudio.etsy.com
DreamingDragonDesign.etsy.com

edensapples
March 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thank you everyone for the fab suggestions..

I've just made my first hairpin from an aluminum knitting needle, my new favorite thing!

Until I can afford some of these suggested hair sticks, that is :)