PDA

View Full Version : max red min dark

speakyword
March 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I've recently recruited my roommate to the henna sisterhood, but I'm having a bit of difficulty achieving her target colour. I prefer cool tones and like to push my hair as dark as it will go so I'm quite adept at doing that but my roommate has medium brown hair with some blonde highlights and wants as much red as possible without going too dark. I've hennaed her hair once and it's a gorgeous auburn which she likes but she wants it to be a bit more dramatic and doesn't want to push it much darker. Any suggestions? I was thinking if I could do one more henna then from then on we could just do roots and glosses to keep up the colour from then on.

Would mixing cassia and henna help her achieve some extra red without pushing it too auburn? Or should I just apply it for a shorter amount of time? or would a gloss be sufficient to brighten the colour a bit.

P.S. I am aware that any adding of colour will necessarily darken because of the nature of herbal dyes... I am just wanting to limit the darkening.

Keenkitty
March 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
hmmmm...... It might depend on what type of henna you buy. Some hennas tend to be redder than others and if you add say Red sandalwood powder to you henna mixture it may make it a brighter red than if you were to use just tap water.

I personally use Rajastani henna but it is orange-ish in color on me, the Jamilla is suppposedly more reddish. Henna Sooq has both. Red Sandalwood and Hibiscus Flowers would both add red to you mix and adding a touch of lemon juice might help.

a note to nightshade might be a good idea too.

HTH!

KJ

akurah
March 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Dramatic red shades are hard to achieve with henna if you don't want darker. I think you may prefer to use a different dye, such as manic panic, in order to achieve those results.

Delilah
March 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Vibrant red on brown hair with henna is really tough, it might be impossible to get it more intense without darkening it. You could try a henna/cassia mix in which the henna is quite diluted with cassia and re-apply it until you notice a slight darkening -then back off. However that mix usually gives an orange "natural redhead" tone, is that what she wants? Repeated glosses would have the same results as this I imagine.
Like Akurah said a semiperm like Manic Panic or Special Effects would work. They both get along with henna and give intense color.

Be warned though, they will make your shower, towels, and everything they touch look pink for a month. This is why I personally hate them, pink dye all over my beige shower looks nasty and I can't wear light colored shirts for along time after. In the first week or so just the hair rubbing on the shirt will dye it, and for a month or more having damp hair worn down on your back or a dash from house to car in the rain will wreck clothes.

Isilme
March 9th, 2009, 05:58 AM
That's a good idea. It really pushes the red to red;) You can have a look in my album, I have pics of using both dye and without. But use special effects, I have found that it doesn't rub off (well, maybe a little, but not much) and I don't use the dye directly, I mix a glob of it in conditioner.

Vibrant red on brown hair with henna is really tough, it might be impossible to get it more intense without darkening it. You could try a henna/cassia mix in which the henna is quite diluted with cassia and re-apply it until you notice a slight darkening -then back off. However that mix usually gives an orange "natural redhead" tone, is that what she wants? Repeated glosses would have the same results as this I imagine.
Like Akurah said a semiperm like Manic Panic or Special Effects would work. They both get along with henna and give intense color.

Be warned though, they will make your shower, towels, and everything they touch look pink for a month. This is why I personally hate them, pink dye all over my beige shower looks nasty and I can't wear light colored shirts for along time after. In the first week or so just the hair rubbing on the shirt will dye it, and for a month or more having damp hair worn down on your back or a dash from house to car in the rain will wreck clothes.

speakyword
March 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
yeah, she wants that bright natural redhead look, orange would be just fine actually, so I think I will try a cassia/henna mix and see how that comes out. I don't think we wanna muck around with veggie dyes.

Thanks for the responses. One more thing though, do you think it would be more effective to let the cassia dye release or should I just mix some dye released henna in with freshly mixed cassia. And what about application time? probably a bit on the shorter side if we don't want it to darken a ton eh?

Velouria
March 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
You'll get the most of cassia's (mild) golden dye (which can help prevent the henna color from going burgundy, as well as the cassia simply diluting the henna diluting it) if you dye release both, together is fine.

Yeah, definitely short. I've still got mahogany (they were burgundy, but thankfully faded a tad) areas from leaving it on too long, and that was with 50/50 henna-cassia. I'd say 1 hr. to start, and if that's not enough, she can do it again. Better too little henna than too much, especially since she's already hennaed. There's variation in how people's hair absorbs the color, so I can't really give an exact time.

For example, my mom uses straight Rajasthani BAQ and leaves on 3-5 hrs., and after a year of every-other-month applications she's only slightly more burgundy than I got with my 3rd henna/cassia mix, left on 2-3 hrs. We have an almost identical starting color, also!

Make sure she knows to switch to roots only when she gets the color-depth she wants, and to be careful not to overlap much!

ETA- If she'd like to be brighter and oranger (rather than redder) than she is now, it'd actually be best not to add any more henna on the already hennaed hair, but straight cassia instead. Cassia doesn't lighten, but I've found it to give the illusion of lightening, and it does brighten/warm.