PDA

View Full Version : How to trim hair when you are growing out layers?

karisaf
March 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I searched and couldn't find a thread about this...if there is one, please point me to it :)

I'm growing out my layers and noticing that they are looking a bit..um...shaggy. If I go in for a trim, do I tell her to only trim my hemline? Or should I also have her trim up the layers? I don't want them getting all split, but I *do* want to grow them out as quickly as possible (they are driving me crazy sticking out every which way in updos). I'm just unsure of how to go about growing them out and still keep my hair healthy :)

Country Cowcurl
March 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
i had a hairdresser who would go through & "dust" my layers. perhaps you could check your layers & see if they need any dusting. if so, ask them to do so?? but if not, just trim up the hemline :)

spidermom
March 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I had a great hair stylist while I was growing out layers who would cut maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the bottom and 1/8 to 1/4 inch off the layers. It took 3 years to get them even with the bottom, but my hair was in good shape the whole time.

Another thing you can do is lean over, put a ponytail on the top of your head, then slide the pony-holder toward the floor, which will make the ends splay out, then you can snip the teeniest-tiniest bit off the layers yourself.

Or just let it grow. We've all got "layers" due to the fact that we are all shedding and regrowing hairs every single day, so we all have hairs at every length. When I braid now, I have shorter hairs sticking out all over the place, and my hair has not been layered. Before too long, no one will notice that you had layers done either.

maskedrose
March 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I also have my stylist dust or "tip" my layers.

Samitra
March 9th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I'm growing out layers as well, and my stylist and I agreed on doing as spidermom did. I've only been trimming twice in these six months, but she's been doing a great job, the layers are starting to catch up.

But I've no idea how to trim them on my own! Selftrimming is something I'll start with sometime in the distant future when all my hair is at one lenght

Katze
March 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I selftrim. My layers are babyfine, and do have damage, but they are now long enough that I can S&D them.

So far I have used Feye's method to get rid of the longest, thinnest, see-through layers pretty much constantly since coming here. It does not give me an even hemline, but my hair is getting thicker at the hemline. However, I do still have severe taper (pics in album) so there isn't much point in losing length and hacking somewhere in the middle of it.

Eventually I hope the layers will catch up with the rest and I can do mini trims to minimize the taper. I won't mind a few natural layers, but do want my hemline to look fuller and have more weight.

jeno
March 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I have layers and I trim the hemline myself. I use Feye's self trimming technique. Sometimes I dust the layers, I then bend forward and make a pony at the top of my head and just trims the ends a little bit. I kind of like my layers, so maybe I will keep them! The shortest are between chin and shoulder.

jivete
March 9th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I just S&D mine. The do look a little shaggy but like Spidermom said, eventually it'll all blend together. At least that's what I hope.

MsBubbles
March 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
. Sometimes I dust the layers, I then bend forward and make a pony at the top of my head and just trims the ends a little bit.

I don't understand this...or rather...I'm having a hard time visualizing what you and Spidermom mean. I have tried to trim my shorter layers but I can only see where they are when I'm looking in 2 mirrors at the back of my head and they're sort of hovering like a halo in my canopy. I can't grab them in this position though! Bending forwards makes them even harder to discern from the longer layers and my hair is so fine it's hard for me to see them. I'd love to know how to trim those shorter layers so I can finally let my length grow down instead of trimming it back to 25" each month! The main reason for me doing that was that I wanted to be sure I was trimming those hairs more likely to split and look crappy, and if they're at the bottom of my hemline then that should 'get' them all.

How does bending forwards help you find your layers to trim them?

jenjen10
March 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM

I am guessing that when you bend over with your hair flipped in front of your face you can then see the canopy of your hair as that is what is lying directly in front of your face.... I am not sure if I am describing this well or not but I know that I do this because my top layers are not long enough to be pulled to the side for me to see the ends.

Does that make sense?

jeno
March 10th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I don't understand this...or rather...I'm having a hard time visualizing what you and Spidermom mean. I have tried to trim my shorter layers but I can only see where they are when I'm looking in 2 mirrors at the back of my head and they're sort of hovering like a halo in my canopy. I can't grab them in this position though! Bending forwards makes them even harder to discern from the longer layers and my hair is so fine it's hard for me to see them. I'd love to know how to trim those shorter layers so I can finally let my length grow down instead of trimming it back to 25" each month! The main reason for me doing that was that I wanted to be sure I was trimming those hairs more likely to split and look crappy, and if they're at the bottom of my hemline then that should 'get' them all.

I think it depends on how your layers are cut. I don't cut it when I bend over, it's just a way to get the pony up high on my head. If you put your hair in a very high pony and and trim it, the hair on your crown will be shorter than your neck hair. Depending on where you place your pony your top layers will be shorter or longer. Maybe you should put it more to the back of your head? You can try different places for it and look in the mirror if you get the right angle. Hmm, maybe someone should make a video of this?

crystal_89
March 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
When I was growing out layers I just did Feye's method for the longest layer, then S&D the rest. I figured if I was getting the short layers trimmed, they would never go away. It doesn't take long for them to blend in, anyway.

MsBubbles
March 10th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I am guessing that when you bend over with your hair flipped in front of your face you can then see the canopy of your hair as that is what is lying directly in front of your face

Well that's what I thought and that's why I said I can't see all the little fine hairs that are shorter because they blend with the rest immediately (I can see them great when my head is upright and I'm looking in 2 mirrors - but then I can't reach them).

I think it depends on how your layers are cut. I don't cut it when I bend over, it's just a way to get the pony up high on my head. If you put your hair in a very high pony and and trim it, the hair on your crown will be shorter than your neck hair. Depending on where you place your pony your top layers will be shorter or longer. Maybe you should put it more to the back of your head?

ok I get what you mean! I thought you meant this helped find the shorter layers so you could trim them. I already do Feye's self-trim for straight-across and mostly that works out well. I'm just sick to death of maintaining at BSL!! I guess I need to just keep trimming back each month to 25" and wait for the layers to grow mostly down.

jojo
March 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I didnt cut my layers at all whilst growing them out, I just dusted my hemline eventually they will catch up. I think I have about 1" to go but like SM said we all have natural layers anyway.