PDA

View Full Version : TBL-classics - how much do you shed?

gallows_gallery
March 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hello everyone,

Just wondering how much hair those of you at about TBL - classic lose every time you brush your hair/run your fingers through your hair/wash your hair?

Mine is shedding really badly lately :( My hair is at exactly bottom length now. I recently gave it a chemical dye and a henna. Neither did much for it at all - in fact it's been significantly less silky, and knotting easily since the henna (it was pure henna -for the record).

I get really worried when I see how much comes out in the shower - I put it on the shower wall to see the amount at the end, and it's a LOT. If I roll it in to a ball it is about as big as a very small apricot. Some days even more. If I run my fingers through my brushed hair I always get at least 5+ hairs come out in my hand, no matter hwo many times I do it.

I'm scared that I'm reaching terminal length!

sandigirl
March 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
How old are you? Could it be peri/menopause? How about vitamins? Are you deficient in any? What about stress? It can be a hair killer. I went through the same thing during pre-menopause and freaked a little even though my hair is thick because I forgot I was menopausal and this is one of the symptoms. Hopefully you will get to the bottom of it. Good luck!
I don't lose much. Maybe a few/day and I brush a LOT.

missmanytoes
March 8th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Henna strips all of the oil out of my hair so every time I henna now I immediately follow up with a warm EVOO treatment. That fixed my post-henna sheds. That being said, I shed like a cat. Usually I only lose 4-5 hairs in the shower on average, but if I take my hair down and run my fingers through it I can easily get another 5-6 hairs every time I take my hair down and brush or finger comb it. I know the number of hairs shed does not sound like a lot, but consider the fact that my hairs are a minimum of 2 feet long and it sure looks like a lot!

spidermom
March 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know how much I shed. I find hairs all over the place when I'm cleaning. I have to clean my hair brush at least weekly. I lose 5-15 hairs when I wash it.

People do go through heavy sheds from time to time. My last one happened end summer/beginning fall 2005. I'd comb my hair and there would literally be a pile of hair on the floor. Then I got 100,001 baby hairs standing up all over the place - lovely (not).

Try not to worry.

MadPirateBippy
March 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
The average person looses something like 100 hairs a day, so if you're only shedding 20 or 30 but they are in a big clump, that can set off a panic.

For me, my shedding is seasonal- I shed a bit more in spring and fall. If that's the case for you, don't worry about it much. If you are really worried, I'd say try monistat. If there's any sort of scalp infection that might be causing shed that will cure it AND you'll get length.

LittleOrca
March 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I shed a normal rate I think. I get about 5-10 hairs a day or so. It always looks like more since my hair is so long. Once when I was combing my hair I thought 12 hairs came out with one pass through and I was in a panic. I counted them though and it was only three hairs, just wrapped around each other and the comb to fool me. Sneaky little buggers.

Carolyn
March 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I've read that 50-100 shed hairs per day is average. With really long hair just a few hairs all wadded up can look huge. I've also read that some people can go through 7 years cycles of shedding. I've done that in both 2000 and 2007. The hair does come back. It's just something our bodies do. I take both MSM and Biotin to reduce my shed rate and I think it helps.

LHGypsyRose
March 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I also shed seasonaly, and I have for as long as I can remmember. Even before I reached classic length. In the fall it can get pretty bad! I do same thing and collect the hairs from the bottom of the shower and hang/lay them aside and the amount can get pretty astounding at times. I can't really say how much I shed on a regular basis, but it's like someone else had said..I find hairs all over the house when I clean, and although I use it very little I have to clean alot of hair from my bore bristle brush after each use.

Starr
March 8th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I shed a ton. . . and it's worse now that I'm going through a post-partum shed, but there's still hair on my head, so I guess it's okay. I wash and detangle once a week and generally the hair fills my denman twice.:hmm:

joyfulmom4
March 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Honestly, I have never attempted to quantify how many hairs I lose in a day. I don't notice many in the shower, but they may be washing down the drain before I see them. I usually have a few stuck in my comb after detangling and sometimes if I finger-comb my hair, I'll pull out hairs or even a clump of hairs once in awhile.

If I notice more shedding than average, I go through and snip out all the splits as thoroughly as possible, or even get a trim. That typically helps a ton. I also oil a lot more. When I oil heavily on a regular basis, I shed less.

jel
March 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I've read that 50-100 shed hairs per day is average. With really long hair just a few hairs all wadded up can look huge.

That is what I was saying to myself all autumn and winter, at hip length.

However:

How about vitamins? Are you deficient in any?

Or, perhaps, iron? I recently found out that I was deficient in ferritin (for healthy hair growth), probably due to heavy periods. I started taking iron supplements on my GP's advice and am already shedding less.

joyfulmom4
March 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'm scared that I'm reaching terminal length!

Just a thought. I don't believe that hair sheds any more or faster at terminal length than at any other length. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we're always losing hairs and growing more hairs. I don't think the rate of loss changes any at terminal length. It's just that the individual hairs have not been cut before they reach the length at which they would ordinarily be shed naturally.

DMARTINEZ
March 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I think Ive been shedding a bit more than usual because I am in peri-menopause.:(
But I do see a TON of baby sproingers all over,so at least its replacing itself! :lol:

Deb

Oops, sorry, I forgot this was for TBL and classics..thats not me.

gallows_gallery
March 10th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I'm not menopausal (I'm only 20!) and I don't have any vitamin deficiencies - at least not since my last blood test in November.

I don't think I'm *too* stressed either - I'm in my final year of law, and things are getting quite pressured (to get a clerkship, keep up with study) - but I take things pretty casually. I don't think I am subliminally stressed.

I just feel like I'm shedding ALL the time. My bathroom is FULL of hair, and the other night at my friend's house I had my hair out, and long black hairs ended up all over his room - I'm not usually THAT bad :(

Aisha25
March 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Lol sounds like my blog from before. I would not worry about it its probably just time to shed everyone gets that. I thought I was going to go bald cause I had hairs everywhere even after I swept:lol: Like little tumbleweeds. But that was when winter was starting and now none at all maybe 2 or 3 a day.

Akiko
March 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Are you sure it's shedding? Not breakage?

Darkhorse1
March 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
It sounds like you are in the midst of your 'big shed'. I did that last year and freaked at the amount of hair I was shedding. It's just part of the hair's life cycle. My worst was when I was so stressed, I was shedding such mounds of hair, I would pick up handfuls daily. THAT freaked me out. Fact though? Shed hair grows back, so don't panic. :) It's freaky, but it's just your hair's life cycle.

Since I've been ill, my hair hasn't shed much since I've been too sick to do much. Now that I'm starting to feel a titch better, I'm noticing more shedding. I also think long hair gives the illusion we shed more hair, because of the length. Add to that, if you have pets like me, I'm surprised my place isn't carpeted in hair :D

Hugs to you!!!