PDA

View Full Version : what has your hair stopped you from doing?

pdy2kn6
March 8th, 2009, 04:14 AM
there are a few things that my hair has stopped me from doing, which otherwise (if i wasn't bothered about my hair health) i would do, such as swimming (in pools or in the sea), sunbathing lol, probly better for my skin though. I was wondering if anything,since being concerned about the health and length of you hair, has stopped you from doing in the past? like hobbies or sports? I guess its just a small price to pay for having healthy long locks..

Das Siechtum
March 8th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Nothing til now.

patissegrietje
March 8th, 2009, 04:42 AM
When it's down it stops me from giving friends a big hug, i hate my hair getting trapped between my back and their rubbing arms.
I try to make sure i wear my hair up when meeting with someone i haven't seen for a while :D

FallenAngel
March 8th, 2009, 05:09 AM
My hair has never stopped me from doing anything.

Finoriel
March 8th, 2009, 05:19 AM
My hair has never stopped me from doing anything.
I still swim and do sports or do things which require wearing helmets:) no problems so far.
Long hair needs an adaption phase to figure out how to do some things in the least damaging way, but so far I found nothing was impossible to do.

:ponder: Wait, my hair stopped me from wearing it in a braid :wink: when it was very short in a pixie-cut.

Schnee
March 8th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Until now, nothing. But if I one day wake up and discover that my hair is preventing me form doing things I want and running my life, I'll reconsider my hair length.

Well, I have used my hair as an excuse not to do things I really don't want to... but that is a different story. ;)

eadwine
March 8th, 2009, 05:39 AM
It has stopped me from taking a shower standing upright. Honestly that hair that comes loose and ends up in the V is no fun. It won't stop me from swimming or whatever, I just wear it in a braid.

It IS just hair after all and it is not like you are in a chlorinated pool every day ;)

janeytilllie
March 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM
When my hair was shorter I use to wash it in the sink. But I can not do that now, I have to use the shower, it's so much more expensive! :(

Also I can't wear my hair lose outside because it tangles so much! So I always wear it up.

Other than the above I can still do sports, swim etc. :) and my hair has improved in health due to wearing it up and washing upright in the shower so its a blessing in disguise ;)

vampodrama
March 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM
nothing so far. occasionally I swear to do some things never again, but it's never come to reality yet (usually it's when I try to detangle my hair after a good rock concert. then I always swear that this was my last moshpit ever.... until the next one comes along of course.)

aisling
March 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Nothing! I've stopped headbanging at concerts but that's more due to age and neck soreness, not that fact that I need a safe zone of one metre to do it ;)

Themyst
March 8th, 2009, 06:40 AM
The length has prevented me from wearing it down all the time (to prevent damage).

Other than that, maybe I've put vacuuming and such off for a while - until I put my hair up - so maybe I've been stopped temporarily, but it hasn't permanently prevented me from doing anything.

I think maybe I'll start covering it to protect it from the sun at the beach this summer - maybe that counts? I will be prevented from sunbathing with my hair flowing freely!:)

hairymonster
March 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
As for my usual activities, I don't recall that my hair has stopped me from doing my regular activities, except maybe I swim less than I would have liked to, as I want to allow my hair (and skin) some time to recover from the chlorine. That applies whether my hair is at chin length or knee length.

I am warier of stepping near or touching animals as I do not want fleas or lice or any skin problem-causing organisms on me or my hair, which might end up in me having to shave all my hair off :run:

ElenTikvah
March 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
With my hair at TBL, I don't wear it down as often as I did when it was shoulder length, but this is a choice, as I am trying to prevent as much damage as I can to my fine hair. Otherwise, no limitations.

~Tik

Darscilla
March 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM
The only thing long hair has stopped me doing is going to the hairdressers ;)

neon-dream
March 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Well, it stops me from being safe at some gigs! LOL
When my hair gets pulled in all directions when it gets trapped between people falling over or pushing each other!
Nothing much though, there's certain things I think... 'hmm, this will damage my hair, what can i do to stop it?' but I usually think of solutions :D!

Honey39
March 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Nothing - if my hair prevented me from doing something, to be honest, I would re-think whether growing my hair long was for me.

I love looking after my hair, pampering it etc, but I'm not that precious about it. Hair grows, and although I love it long, I'm not too uptight about it. Maybe it's different if you're growing it super-long???

sandigirl
March 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Absolutely nothing. Not ever. Long hair is so beautiful and so fun it will never stop me from doing anything.
Ponytails and braids work great in windy weather.

Drynwhyl
March 8th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Nothing! I've stopped headbanging at concerts but that's more due to age and neck soreness, not that fact that I need a safe zone of one metre to do it ;)
But, it is such a magnificent sight to see ^_^

@topic: Nothing. :)

Speckla
March 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
coloring
cutting
having low self-esteem
________
HONDA JAZZ SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Jazz)

Chromis
March 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Long hair stops me from nothing! Chlorinated water hurts my eyes anyhow and having sore eyes is even worse than any hair damage it would have given me!

MadPirateBippy
March 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Playing with babies with it down. I always have a hairtoy or a pen in my purse, though, so it's not really been an issue- but babies LOVE to grab a little fistful and pull. And they always get temple hair... OW.

akka naeda
March 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Nothing. If it started preventing me doing something I'd trim it back to a length where it didn't.

Debra83
March 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
When I had long hair I did everything! Never even thought about anything being damaging to my hair. And it was long and healthy looking for sure (pre-LHC).

Now, that I know what I know...I might put in a spray in sun protector thingy...but I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SUN, AND SUMMER ACTIVITIES!!!! (I think winter here where I live in Canada is harder on hair anyway than summer).

truepeacenik
March 8th, 2009, 10:43 AM
My hair hasn't stopped me from doing anything.
My indecision has stalled my progress on some things and I might have considered hair in that, but that isn't the hair, that is excuse making.

If I really stretched, I could say that considering my length, I have continued to put of dreading my hair again because I don' want the shrink right now.

jel
March 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM

LOL! Same here! Though it's not so much actual long hair that has prevented me from going to the hairdressers, it was/is my desire for long hair. And tightness ;)

LittleOrca
March 8th, 2009, 11:00 AM
The only thing my hair has stopped in my life if my aunt's ability to hold her tongue about me cutting it, and she can just rant until she is blue in the face :)

ETA: And I, like the other ladies above me, don't goto the hairdresser anymore. I just can't trust them anymore as a whole.

Anje
March 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I don't swim as much with my head underwater, and avoid chlorinated pools more. That or wear a swim cap. But I swim more in the lake because I don't feel like dealing with chlorine.

Carolyn
March 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I can't think of a single thing it's stopped my from doing. I make some adjustments for it but that's not a big deal and it's just part of life now. Last summer I even swam in a chlorinated pool with it loose and loved it. Having long hair made the experience much more memorable than if I'd had short hair.

gdimoonbeam
March 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
It hasen't stopped me. I did learn to be more careful doing laps in a pool, the first time in highschool swim class with my hair in a pony I turned my head to breath and got a mouth full of wet hair was a shock.

spidermom
March 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I'd probably seek out more opportunities to swim if not for this long hair.

xeternalsilence
March 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
It hasn't really stopped me from doing anything yet, though I'm only about BSL.

I'm a little worried about swimming this summer, but I don't think my hair will stop me from doing it. I'm just going to be more careful.
When my hair was waist length, I loved swimming with it loose. Looking back at pictures, my hair seemed to be in pretty good condition. But I'm still going to do it with caution.

When my hair gets to the length when headbanging is dangerous, I may be cautious with that too, but I doubt I'll stop completely. Long haired people headbanging looks awesome. :cool:

I have, like many others, stopped going to hairdressers.

Eryka
March 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Not too much really, a solidly done braid can weather a lot of things and updos are handy.

/hijack

For the headbangers who miss headbanging, make a low ponytail at the base of your neck and then do a 3 strand braid. Either bring over your shoulder so you can hang on to it or leave it down your back if its short. Minimal tangles and a great night out. Works prefectly on my knee length and slightly layered hair :wink:

DragonLady
March 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
The only thing my hair has stopped me from doing is damaging hairstyles, which I do miss.

If it causes me to stop enjoying other things, I'll reconsider having it so long.

enfys
March 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Dying it crazy colours
Wearing it down
Wearing very wooly jumpers and not having it braided
Learning to swim (but thats partly the chlorine stink in general)
Having a cold neck

Pretty much standard.

The next question is: What would short hair prevent us doing, and does it outweigh this list?

xeternalsilence
March 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
For the headbangers who miss headbanging, make a low ponytail at the base of your neck and then do a 3 strand braid. Either bring over your shoulder so you can hang on to it or leave it down your back if its short. Minimal tangles and a great night out. Works prefectly on my knee length and slightly layered hair :wink:
Sounds good :agree:

noelgirl
March 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I did once turn down an acting part where they wanted it shorter. It was a bit part and not really worth it, they only wanted it short because it was a period piece. Although I had a scheduling conflict anyway, so I like to think my decision wasn't completely vanity-based.

The pastime I'm most passionate about is ballet, and long hair is generally encouraged for it - they call us bunheads for a reason!

Kimberly
March 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
*I no longer run out to the salon to get a haircut to cheer myself up. I buy a new hairtoy instead!
*I don't wear my fedora as often as I used to, because it conflicts with a lot of updos. Now, though, my hair's long enough to wear more styles that work with my hat
*I stopped riding in convertibles and on motorcycles with my hair loose

vamq
March 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
My hair stopped me from suntanning. But that's not just because of my hair. It's also because I don't like to get a tan (I'm quite tanned from myself, if I get more tanned it looks really ugly on me) And because my skin will itch like crazy if I've been sitting in the sun for more than two hours.

I also swim a lot less, but I never liked swimming anyway, so that's not bothering me.

Silverlox
March 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM

coloring
cutting

I agree with the above. The hair isn't holding me back at all. There are so many well contained braided buns you could use to keep your hair in place. It doesn't stop me from swimming either, if I really want to.

skay
March 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
there are a few things that my hair has stopped me from doing, which otherwise (if i wasn't bothered about my hair health) i would do, such as swimming (in pools or in the sea), sunbathing lol, probly better for my skin though. I was wondering if anything,since being concerned about the health and length of you hair, has stopped you from doing in the past? like hobbies or sports? I guess its just a small price to pay for having healthy long locks..

So far I haven't stopped doing anything.

The only thing I can think of is something I did as a kid:

Sticking my head out the car window and letting the window blow my loose hair. For some reason, I don't remember tangles back then. I guess I'd still do it (or ride in a convertible), but just put my hair in a braid or something.

P.S. Pdy2kn6, that's too bad about the sunbathing... I'd say go for it (I'm not sure how much it would damage your hair but I think it'd be safe enough?? But then, you know your hair best. :) ).

Heavenly Locks
March 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I don't wear my hair loose when it is windy any more...and I don't ride on the back of my husbands motorcycle as often as I like because it really tangles my hair. (I need a hair glove for when we get back to the states!) My long hair is a big reason I don't like to have the windows all rolled down when riding in the car either. I also don't think I will ever own a convertible because of my hair either...

s_tresses
March 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Blowdrying, if that makes any sense. Sometimes I give up going out because my hair needs to be washed and by the time it dries I would be late! (and also because i am lazy)