PDA

View Full Version : replies: visitor message protocol

intothemist1999
March 31st, 2008, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure what the correct way is to do replies. The way *I* do it is if someone has posted to my visitor messages, then I click reply and carry on. That means the reply shows up on the same "board" (mine), just as it does when you post replies elsewhere on the forum.

I notice that if I post on someone's visitor messages, they reply in *mine*.

I guess the latter makes more sense, because the person will be more likely to see the reply. It's like they all knew what to do :) I just hadn't thought of it that way before, and was following the usual routine of post & reply.

Is there a standard?

girlcat36
March 31st, 2008, 08:13 PM
I did the same as you at first, but then quickly caught on to the way everyone else was doing it.
It's funny because it seemed like everyone but me automatically knew!

AJoifulNoise
March 31st, 2008, 08:19 PM
I reply on other people's profiles so that they get a notification. That way they know I've replied. Because if I leave a message on someone else's profile and they reply to me there, I'll probably never know. I can understand the confusion though.

AprilElf
March 31st, 2008, 08:27 PM
That's where the 'View Conversation' link comes in handy! :)
Takes you to a screen with a place to reply while showing you all previous 'back and forths' between you and your visitor.

angelthadiva
March 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM
I do view conversations too, and that's the way I reply...It never even crossed my mind to do it another way...The only thing I'm *not* thrilled about is that it's not private...I mean if our profiles are personal, only able to be viewed by friends/contacts we choose, I totally get that, but it's public (convo) to that group...I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Just so I'm making sense...If you go into someone's profile, and you are their friend/contact...You can read the convos between the owner of the profile and the person who left a msg...I realize if you want things to be *private* you can do a PM :duh:, but I guess we need to be careful about what we share and where we share it. :flower:

Alley Cat
March 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
I do it that way too , funny thing I never read other people's conversations I really don't have the time . :shrug:

Wind Dragon
March 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
No need to go to the person's profile page. Just click on the "View Conversation" link on the message in your visitor messages and reply there. It automatically shows your reply in their visitor messages, and the conversation can then be viewed from both profiles.

DarthCynthia
April 1st, 2008, 06:40 AM
Well, d'oh. I didn't know that. Oops :)

I wondered if I was supposed to go to their profile to reply or just reply in mine. I guess I should've clicked the view conversation thing. Heheheh.

DavidN
April 1st, 2008, 07:51 AM
I always like the "view conversation" option myself, and this way, I know that the person I am replying to will get a notification in their "notifications" box that I have replied to them.

intothemist1999
April 1st, 2008, 09:06 AM
hehehe I never even noticed the "view conversation" thing!!

So, it will show the conversation trail only on your own visitors messages section, right? Like, not the ones I mistakenly posted elsewhere.

((sheesh, usually I'm more computer/internet savvy than this! - then again I did just stagger out of bed...thats my story and I'm sticking to it.....yeah..... :D ))

I should repost some of the replies to people who posted on my VM and I replied there! I guess they won't have known that I replied!

DarthCynthia
April 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
intothemist1999: I'm usually very quick to catch on to online stuff as well. In this situation, this board almost overwhelmed me with all the options and notes all over the place, so that's my excuse for not realizing how to reply to those. :D

intothemist1999
April 1st, 2008, 09:53 AM
intothemist1999: I'm usually very quick to catch on to online stuff as well. In this situation, this board almost overwhelmed me with all the options and notes all over the place, so that's my excuse for not realizing how to reply to those. :D

Thanks for backin' me up, Darth C!! :)

I went back to my profile to see about re-posting things I replied to on my own VM, over to the original poster.

I just noticed another thing: to not reply to more than one post within one reply message! Again, I did that because one can do it elsewhere on the boards. If I click "view conversation" would have missed some replies I doubled up on.