PDA

View Full Version : "Search and destroy"

Shanarana
March 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
How do you all do that? Just gave it a try and thought my eyes were going to bug out of my head.

Does anyone not do this?

JamieLeigh
March 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I usually braid mine into four braids, and throw 3 of them back over my shoulder, out of the way. Then I take the 1st braid, and unravel it a little, and just S&D one strand at a time. When all 3 strands of the braid have been done, I toss it behind me and pick up the next braid. Some people can make it with fewer braids, some do it with more...other people might have a different system altogether...but this is what works for me. :)

AJoifulNoise
March 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Does anyone not do this?

*raises hand* Me. I mean, if I happen to have the scissors on hand when I find a split... snip, it goes. But, I haven't sat down to do a true S&D since last July.

Aisha25
March 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I have to take breaks and readjust my eyes a few times during a mission. I do it by a window when its sunny that way I can see every single strand of hairs.

Hay22
March 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I take small sections of hair and just start snipping away at any splits or white dots. I don't really have a technique.

If I'm extra bored and it's nice out, I'll take out my contacts (can see much better up close without them) and will go do a S&D on my balcony in the sunshine. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm crazy.

Anje
March 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Well, I've got so many splits I doubt I'll make much of a dent (and they're all up in the length, none at the ends!), but one of my favorite shortcut methods (easier than searching through loose hair, if a bit less effective) is to take a fuzzy end-of-the-day braid, and look for splits in the ends sticking out. I've usually had enough once I've searched through those.

(ETA: When I say "so many splits" it really isn't bad. I'd say that a single-digit percentage of my hairs are split. But even though my hair's not that thick, it's fine enough that hairdressers have always remarked at how much there is when you get your hands in it. There are just too many to find and cut!)

ktani
March 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Stronger than I need to read with, dollar store reading glasses, a good strong light (dresser lamp) and a lot of patience.

That said, I have not felt the need to do a full one (hair catching on itself), for months. I haven't seen a split end in a very looong time (almost 2 years) but I still do get a few white dots (breakage).

JamieLeigh
March 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hey, there's a thread called "S&D Slackers" over on the polls and projects forum. Here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17958

Copasetic
March 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I hardly ever S and D. But once in a while if my hair is down, I'll look for some splits.
Maybe you need to hold the hair away from your face a bit to avoid hurting your eyes.

Sissy
March 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM
yeah, it can tend to be a bit eye straining LOL. It just takes a lot of patience... I don't really have a method. I just take small sections of my hair at a time and search for splits. It's depressing... I always find so many :(

frizzinator
March 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Back when I had more of them it bothered my eyes, but I just took breaks for eye relief. I don't have nearly as many splits since I started wearing my hair up every day. Whenever I see one while I'm combing my hair, I cut it. There are so few of them nowdays that I don't need to spend as much time on it as I used to spend on S & D when I wore my hair down.

kwaniesiam
March 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Almost never. I just don't have the patience, and I always feel like I'm making my hair all uneven by cutting off too much in the process. I haven't had a trim since last July, and don't intend to for quite a while since it was an awful chop at the hands of a stupid stylist. I don't even have splits to worry about, not yet anyway. Maybe when I have some I'll get a micro trim but thats about it :shrug:

oldgregg
March 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Yep, I like to do it where I can see well also

lizzyjo
March 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I do S&D by holding my hair in front of a bright light, like my desk lamp or a computer screen. This makes the hairs easier to see.

Themyst
March 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I S&D with a light behind me and then I hold my hair up in front of something dark. I snip with tiny manicure scissors. I find it to be very therapeutic. :)

serenitygal
March 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
(raises hand) I don't S&D. Of course, that's probably in part because I just don't get splits, or if I do they are so rare that I never see them. But I wear my hair up virtually all the time. I don't trim that often, either; I have long face-framing bangs that I'll take a bit off of with the scissors once in a while, but that's it. It's been almost eight months since my last trim; I'm hoping to wait until it's been a year before I trim again, but we'll see.

RancheroTheBee
March 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Erm, I do. I gather it up into a high, loose ponytail and then slide bits of hair out and sift through them. I do slack, though. I figure that I can't possibly find all of them, and if there's only a few splits, they'll probably fall out one of these days anyway.

Coriander
March 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I usually have my hair in a single braid with a 4-5" tassel. I smooth the tassel between my index and middle finger and clip any splits I see that way. Then I'll "mix up" the hair and do the same thing about five more times.

Sometimes I'll have it in several braids and do it this way, too. :)

HotRag
March 7th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I usually braid mine into four braids, and throw 3 of them back over my shoulder, out of the way. Then I take the 1st braid, and unravel it a little, and just S&D one strand at a time. When all 3 strands of the braid have been done, I toss it behind me and pick up the next braid. Some people can make it with fewer braids, some do it with more...other people might have a different system altogether...but this is what works for me. :)
How can you see all splits in one strand of a braid thats contains a fourth of your hair?
Or do you you get them you can see? How long does it take to do the whole hair for you?

Maybe I am totally obcessed. I am goint through 1/4 of my hair every month, and that takes several hours.

Lately I have not found more than a few splits, så I will do S&D less often. Making the whole head twice a year instead of trice.

HotRag
March 7th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I use reading glasses sometimes, and sometimes not.
I have +0.5 on my glasses (that is not due to age) and lately I have gotten worse sight. Probably due to medication, but could be age (I am 38 this year).

Otherwise, I think it is kind of meditationing to S&D. I see S&D days as meditation days.

Ryanne
March 7th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I S&D before a window or with a bright light behind me.

eresh
March 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Yes me too, a dark background but with light hitting the hair.
I used to do it a lot, it would bug my mom so much haaha.
Strand by strand...hours....
Obsessed much? :o

I kicked the habit and now I snip when I see one and scissors are near. Or I check the hair sticking out of a braid.

magpielaura
March 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM
My splits are all through my length so it takes a bit of effort to find them. I grab small sections at random and weave in and out of my fingers. I start at the roots and run my fingers down the length until they are far enough from my face to focus my eyes on the hair folded over my finger. Then I continue slowly, looking at the ends that pop out and cutting any that look crinkly, bent or like paint brushes. I usually repeat this a few times with each section and then grab a new one.

Since I've done a few 2 hour long intensive sessions of this they are harder to find, so I think I'm starting to get on top of it:cheese:

Jiffa Jaffa
March 7th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Do you need to use special hairdressing scissors for this or will any old scissors do?

magpielaura
March 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Do you need to use special hairdressing scissors for this or will any old scissors do?

Not long ago someone posted some pictures they took of hairs under the microscope. (I had a look but can't find them sorry!)

They had cut one hair with sharp scissors, and another with paper scissors. The one cut with paper scissors was crushed and splintery, and though not visable without the microscope was clearly splitting again. Is best to have a special pair of really sharp scissors you keep for only hair if you can. There is no point in spending ages hunting out splits and then chomping off the end with something blunt. I know there are a few people that bite off their splits...not sure they are doing much good!

frizzinator
March 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Buy scissors for cutting hair and never use them for anything else. They are a good investment if you eventually (like many of us have done) start trimming your own hair. Long hair is easier to to trim.

Addy
March 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I don't S&D at all.

dulce-de-leche
March 7th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I take out small sections and twist usually the splits will stand up like a sore thumb or I take the sections and put them between my middle and index finger with the same effect.I do this while waiting for the kids to get out of school in the car to kill time but at the same time I also find it theraputing.

gdimoonbeam
March 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I do it in fits and spurts, I'll start then stop when my fingers hurt from the scissors and in a few months an end will distract me and I'll start again.

Misha
March 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I started SD recently, and am happy so far! It prevents me from getting a trim to keep my ends healthy, and my hair is longer for it :cheer: .

I did a few good sessions, with a bright light and dark background as others have described, and now I'll SD more seldom when I think it's required. I just take a section, look carefully through it and snip any splits and damage. I just do as much or little as I feel like, as not to get bored or eye-strained.

Stevy
March 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I never bother. I hate poking through my hair looking for imperfections, and it's not like my hair has turned into a mass of split ends without it. Putting coconut oil on my ends has done far more to minimise splits than S&Ding ever did.

atlantaz3
March 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Since I have light colored hair I try to have something dark usually I'm on the couch and have a burgundy blanket on my lap that I can see the hair against. I'm not really long enough (yet) to do the back, I only do one side at a time a few days apart. I split hair into thirds with clips or whatever is handy and clip away during some tv or ball game. Drives the dh insame! (My scissors are in the cocktail table by my side of couch for easy finds.) Gone cross eyed a few times - just stare off into the distance for 30 seconds or so to refocus.

mugglemomof3
March 10th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I just recently cut 2" off the ends of my hair, and now it's not really long enough to S&D without making me batty. But I've been trying lately. Most of my splits are way up the strand, so I have to shake off the other hairs and then snip.

I use the magnifying glasses like some others have suggested. And I sit in the sun. Helps tremendously.

I've got a pair of scissors in the car, one at the house, and one up here at work, so I can S&D whenever the mood strikes. I find that has helped me keep up with it.

I've only been doing this for about 6 months now. Before I got the glasses, it was impossible. But I'm determined not to lose any more length, and to stop the tangly ends.