PDA

View Full Version : Best permanent color to color gray on dark blonde to light brown hair

Curlsgirl
March 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM
I THINK I have about 25% gray but hard to tell since most is concentrated so far on top of my head and starting around my face and also down the length now for the first time. I need some suggestions on what to try since my Loreal preference cream is doing a less than great job lately. I didn't notice until I saw some pics of me this weekend and I guess the mirror in my bathroom isn't so great after all! I guess I am getting more gray in my hair. Any brands that anyone can recommend? I only do roots so far.

How about Robert Craig? I was thinking there were people that say it doesn't cover gray that well but not sure.

I wonder if salon highlights would do the trick or help? I don't want to cut my hair from damage. So far it's doing pretty well.

Velvettt
April 1st, 2008, 02:02 AM
I recently switched from L'Oreal Preference to L'Oreal Excellence for the same reason. I got the Excellence by accident and discovered it covered grey and stayed covered much better than the Preference. Have you tried it?

k_hepburn
April 1st, 2008, 03:31 AM
I would second the recommendation for L'Oreal Excellence. I have quite a bit of gray in my hair by now, and haven't had any problems with coverage so far. Plus, if you are prepared to use the pre-treatment and post-treatment conditioners included in the box (they are rather loaded with cones), I found this dye not be as aggressive on the hair as Schwartzkopf Natural & Easy, for example.

However, since I tend to go for medium to dark brown dyes, your experience, being blonde, may differ (I tried to go for a dark blond tone once, hoping it would give me a kind of naturally highlighted look, but found it noticeably more aggressive on the scalp and hair).

Greetings

katharine

missy60
April 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Have you tried the grey buster they have at Sally's? I havent either but if you are happy with the condition of your hair and color you get with this brand it might be an option.

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM
Actually I am sorry but I meant I DO use the Excellence and not Preference! :doh:

Missy what are you talking about when you say "gray buster"?

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM
I would second the recommendation for L'Oreal Excellence. I have quite a bit of gray in my hair by now, and haven't had any problems with coverage so far. Plus, if you are prepared to use the pre-treatment and post-treatment conditioners included in the box (they are rather loaded with cones), I found this dye not be as aggressive on the hair as Schwartzkopf Natural & Easy, for example.

However, since I tend to go for medium to dark brown dyes, your experience, being blonde, may differ (I tried to go for a dark blond tone once, hoping it would give me a kind of naturally highlighted look, but found it noticeably more aggressive on the scalp and hair).

Greetings

katharineThis is what I use but I use a pre-treatment of my own on my length instead of the packet included. I never use the cone-loaded conditioner they include for after either. Cones don't do well on my hair. I do wait about 3 days after coloring to wash though. I wonder if the baking soda I have used a few times lately did it now that I think about it! I stopped that for a long time. I won't use it again. I bet that's it! I had figured it was okay since I don't use it on my scalp. But I bet the length at the top where the color hasn't been on as long was easier to strip and hence the gray hairs showing. I hope that's it.

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 06:17 AM
I recently switched from L'Oreal Preference to L'Oreal Excellence for the same reason. I got the Excellence by accident and discovered it covered grey and stayed covered much better than the Preference. Have you tried it?

Yep I did the same thing years ago. Maybe I'll switch back to Sally's. I use the box right now. I really can't tell the difference though, have used Sally's before.

FrannyG
April 1st, 2008, 06:27 AM
Curlgirl, I think you've got the answer! Clarifying treatments like baking soda will remove blonde hair dye enough to show the grey. Also, if you're doing SMTs, be sure that the honey is microwaved for at least 10 seconds, or it could also leave your greys exposed.

Hmmmm, how do I know these things? :shrug:

missy60
April 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM
The gray buster is an additive you just add a few drops to your color and its suppose to cover gray better. It might be called gray magic maybe its something like that.

I used baking soda once and it stripped every bit of my color off so beware.

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM
Curlgirl, I think you've got the answer! Clarifying treatments like baking soda will remove blonde hair dye enough to show the grey. Also, if you're doing SMTs, be sure that the honey is microwaved for at least 10 seconds, or it could also leave your greys exposed.

Hmmmm, how do I know these things? :shrug:Who knew! :doh: Thanks! I did use honey the other day in my SMT which I usually don't. I think we're on to something here!

The gray buster is an additive you just add a few drops to your color and its suppose to cover gray better. It might be called gray magic maybe its something like that.

I used baking soda once and it stripped every bit of my color off so beware.No more BS :rolleyes: Yep I have heard of the gray magic. Maybe it's just the other stuff though. I was used to being able to use anything on my older hair because the color was so "permanent". I'll have to be careful now that I am only doing that roots every time. I am sure that's it.:oops:

Thanks so much ya'll!!!