PDA

View Full Version : long hair on 'merican futball playerz

DaveDecker
March 31st, 2008, 07:11 PM
[begging your pardon, intentional misspellings fore 'n aft to thwart searchbots]

There have been 3 mentions of this topic in the last week in my local newspaper. Apparently the topic will be discussed this week during the N-F L owner's meetings. The good news? Cuts will not be required / are not on the table for discussion. But there is concern that the playerz namez & numberz are being hidden by some of those with long locks, and the suggestion is for the playerz to tuck the hair under their helmits. So some of you fans out there, be advised that this coming autumn, what you might not see might be merely a masking instead of a removal.

Nynaeve
March 31st, 2008, 07:29 PM
Huh... That's interesting.
I can't recall any requirements like that being made in soccer, but what is the hair has too much volume for the helmet. Or maybe they would get them bigger helmets or helmets with a bigger section towards the bottom of the back?

Starr
March 31st, 2008, 07:33 PM
At least they're not talking cuts and to be honest, I would either. . . nobody wants to tick off a linebacker.

Curlsgirl
March 31st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Yeah I remember a game too (can't remember which NFL game) where a player with dreads' (hair ONLY or at least it looked that way) crossed over the line and they counted it as a part of his body. I thought that was a little strange LOL.

DaveDecker
March 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah I remember a game too (can't remember which NFL game) where a player with dreads' (hair ONLY or at least it looked that way) crossed over the line and they counted it as a part of his body. I thought that was a little strange LOL.

Curlsgirl, I remember that game (playoffs last season). In a way it very much makes sense that it's part of the body, since it is attached to his body. It certainly isn't part of the uniform. :lol:

Curlsgirl
March 31st, 2008, 09:10 PM
Curlsgirl, I remember that game (playoffs last season). In a way it very much makes sense that it's part of the body, since it is attached to his body. It certainly isn't part of the uniform. :lol:

Yes I agree! It took them a while to decide that one though didn't it? I found it hilarious actually!

Anje
March 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I also found it odd and rather dangerous that hair is considered "grab-able" for tackles, if it's hanging out. Sooner or later, that's going to cause a neck injury and renewed consideration for mandatory haircuts. Personally, I'd get behind requirements that hair be contained within the helmet or uniform, though. It's not like these players can't afford custom helmets to fit big hair, should they need it, and it might lead to hair-containing helmets available for the rest of us.

Koala Kim
March 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM
While I've gotten used to seeing long locks flying on the field, I always wondered why they didn't do more to protect their hair.
I for one would have been worried about someone grabbing my hair and yanking me back with it.

I think it should be contained for safety's sack. As Anje pointed out, a neck injury could be caused by someone grabbing onto someone's hair.

Buddaphlyy
March 31st, 2008, 10:24 PM
I've heard this too and I think it's a good rule. Long hair in the NFL is a safety hazard. Even if someone doesn't get tackled by their hair, it could get pulled or stepped on if you're at the bottom of the pile.

Delilah
March 31st, 2008, 11:04 PM
Darn it, and just when I was thinking long hair was the only thing some of those men were missing....
I might have to start watching.

daeana
March 31st, 2008, 11:07 PM
i'm not convinced all the hair will fit into the helmets. i mean, i've seen the samoan guy's hair, and... it's not fitting. :lol:

DaveDecker
April 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
i'm not convinced all the hair will fit into the helmets. i mean, i've seen the samoan guy's hair, and... it's not fitting. :lol:

It's curly and so, lots of air. I'd bet it will fit. Of course I will be curious to see what devices & means they employ to restrain their hair (assuming a rule is passed).

Darn it, and just when I was thinking long hair was the only thing some of those men were missing....
I might have to start watching.

There might be photos freely available by using simple web searches...

... safety issues...

IIRC, this possibility drove Ricky Wil-liams to cut off his locks between seasons. Soon thereafter, he was out of the league, for years (for other reasons :rolleyes: ).