PDA

View Full Version : Tangles galore.

BlackfootHair
March 5th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Uh. I think I have dried out winter hair. I was using tons of coney products and I dyed my hair black, then used manic panic (oh the blue! Never again!) Now I'm using a demi and loving it, but my hair felt dry and tangled easily on the ends. I have a ton of layering in the back and haven't cut in four months. My hair isn't long enough for a s&d, so I clarified with Prell. Three times. Used mane and tail conditioner after that. Used DVS and m&t the next morning. For leave ins it has been mainly DVCO. My hair just feels thirsty!! I washed my hair last night and used a Kenra leave in spray. Hair was a little roughed up from some early morning activities :eyebrows: so I CO with Suave. My skin has felt like I've rolled around in a desert lately too. Such dryness! UGH.

Oh, and I was using the Sunsilk black shine shampoo from Thailand...but it was a really old bottle...I think it must have had formaldehyde in it because it made my hair feel REALLY dried out.

DVS= Dabur Vatika Shampoo
DVCO= Dabur Vatika Coconut oil.

kdaniels8811
March 5th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Have you tried and SMT? Snowy's moisture treatment, elsewhere on the forums. Mix:
4 parts cheap conditioner (I use VO5, about 99 cents at Walmart)
one part clear aloe gel (again, from walmart)
one part honey

Mix together and warm in microwave for 15 seconds - I hate cold stuff on my head! and slather all over your hair, cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap, then a towel to keep the heat in and leave it on for an hour. Rinse well, do not shampoo! and your hair should be much more moisturized. Let us know how it works for you.

OhioLisa
March 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Sounds to me like you're washing WAY too much. Cutting down on that will help with the dryness. Mane & tail left a waxy build-up on my hair, so perhaps your hair does not like it either? Things to consider, anyway.

Aisha25
March 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM
How did your hair feel after the suave?? You dont like to use honey in your hairs BFH???

LadyMoon11
March 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM
M & T also left a waxiness on my hair when I used it.

I agree with OL... it does sound as if you are washing a lot, and clarified several times as well.
Also, it looks as if you are using many different products one after the other.
Perhaps try simplifying a bit? Do 'cone or non-'cone products typically work better for you?

Perhaps if you just go through your things and find a few key products that work best for you, then stick with those for a while w/out changing up so much.

Just a suggestion.

Also- do ACV rinses work well for you? I find if I do a shampoo wash (scalp only), good conditioning and then a final ACV rinse with cool water, it really works well to keep build-up down. If my hair is extra dry, I'll shamppo, ACV rinse with cool water and then do a final condition with cool water.

I hope you are able to work out a way to combat the extra dryness.

spidermom
March 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I agree with simplying your routine and using only one set of products for two weeks. When you're mixing them up so much, it is impossible to tell which ones don't give good results.

I'm doing CWC, diluting the shampoo, with J/A/S/O/N Natural Biotin formula, also using a dab of the conditioner as a leave in. That's all my hair needs, really, although I like to do coconut oil the day before (or hours before) I'm going to wash it. No dryness whatsoever, but I do live in a moist climate.

RancheroTheBee
March 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I really do like M&T, but I've found that it has entirely too much protein for me to use it on a consistent basis. In fact, it usually makes the tanglies worse if I don't have enough moisture. I second (third? forth?) the SMT vote.

BlackfootHair
March 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I actually had been using the same products for several weeks in a row, but just recently clarified with prell three times in one setting (it needed it...) and I think it's just dry from all the super cones and super dry air.

Mane and Tail always felt good in my hair. I'm not sure what waxy buildup some mention, but in my hair it just feels soft. Right now my hair feels really soft and weighty from the moisture. Hard to explain, but it's from the oil. It seems to have perked up the curls as well. I might try the Suave CO tomorrow as well if my scalp feels fine. I kind of want to get rid of the excess bottles anyways. lol

I might try doing CO every other day if it seems to work better for me. I like to wash my hair everyday, and it's never been a problem for me save for now in the winter, and going out of the house with my hair down and wet...Frozen icecicle hair anyone??

So, I'm glad my hair feels all nice and soft today. :) I'll rub some more oil on my ends tonight and then CO in the morning. I need to do something different! :)

And the thought of putting honey in my hair makes me scared for two reasons: I don't want it to lighten my black hair (although I think if I heat it in the microwave it kills the peroxide?) and two: it's sticky...it just makes me scared. lol My hair doesn't like herbs, so I'm scared it might not like honey either...I might put glycerine in it's place if I do the smt. I wonder what will happen if I just mix suave and coconut oil and slather it in. :D Those are two things I know my hair likes. :)

Anje
March 5th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah, microwaving the honey is supposed to kill the peroxide. You could also try using molasses. The moisture properties are supposed to be similar to honey, but it's darkening.

WritingPrincess
March 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I had the same fears about honey, but if you microwave it for 10 seconds, it won't lighten your hair, and when it was mixed with aloe and conditioner I didn't notice any super-stickyness.

BlackfootHair
March 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Well, yesterday I went for a 2 mile walk and tried to jog...haha....anyways, I did sweat a little. My hair felt gross this morning from the sweat, but while in the shower, I put the shampoo down, and went ahead with the Suave again. Two big handfuls went in my hair and I massaged it in. I left it on for the remainder of the shower and then rinsed thoroughly. I'm glad I did the CO today as well because my hair felt dry out of the shower too. It still wants to tangle *a little bit* but is getting better. I put in some oil from the health food store that's main ingredient is sweet almond oil. My hair feels weighty and good. I even noticed some curl clumpage by my face before I picked through my hair. I have really been neglecting things this winter. *slaps self on wrist*

BlackfootHair
March 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
It just dawned on me...I wonder if it's my headset I have to wear at work. I noticed it leaves an indentation on my head where I wear it. I wonder if that's part of the problem? I had a deep conditioning treatment done and a hair cut...But the top of my head still tangles. UGH!!!!!!!

amaiaisabella
March 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I've been having issues with dryness as well, though mine is concentrated on my length/ends. I ended up using a sulfate shampoo twice, then literally coated my hair in my Biolage Conditioning Balm (the Sally's version), and waited 10-15 minutes before rinsing out. I know you clarified already, but sometimes it takes me a few times/rinses before I really feel it. :)

marajade
March 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Sounds to me like you're washing WAY too much. Cutting down on that will help with the dryness. Mane & tail left a waxy build-up on my hair, so perhaps your hair does not like it either? Things to consider, anyway.

I had the same issue with Mane and Tail and it did cause tangleyness in my hair too. Maybe that's something to consider?

BlackfootHair
March 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I had the same issue with Mane and Tail and it did cause tangleyness in my hair too. Maybe that's something to consider?
The only thing is that I've used it in the past with no problems. Of course this is when I lived on the East Coast and it rained a lot. :)

BlackfootHair
March 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Also has anyone else had issues with old manic panic in their hair making it tangle and be dry? I'm wondering if this is part of it.....

plainjanegirl
March 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I wish I could use mane n tail cause some girls say that it helped their hair grow really long. But I recently tried it again and I don't know if it was the wax or the protein but it made my hair dry and rough feeling and full of tangles.

BlackfootHair
March 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
When I used M&T with sucess I was using Dabur Vatika oil right after the shower while it was still damp. They were my holy grails. That and the Dabur Vatika green shampoo.

plainjanegirl
March 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have never heard of the oil you mentioned. Something else to check out.

BlackfootHair
March 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yep, Dabur Vatika coconut oil. Google will pull up a ton of stuff. :)

BlackfootHair
March 18th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Okay, here is the ingredients for the Dabur Vatika henna conditioning shampoo I'm using:

Purified water
sodium laureth sulphate
cocamidepropyl betaine
cocamide dea
polyquaternium 7
trimethylsily amodimehicone (and) laureth7 (and) laureth 5
citric acid/sodium hydroxide
sodium chloride/propylene glycol
herbal extract (extract of prunus amygdalus, acacia concinna, lawsonia inermis, sodium bensoate, pectric enzyme
ethylene glycol monostearate
guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride
perfume
disodium edta
methylchloroisothiazolinone
ci 61565
ci 47000

This is a new formulation. Not much has changed, but the old didn't have sodium hydroxide....

BlackfootHair
March 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Here is the ingredient list of the conditioner I have my head drowned in currently. I have a cap over my hair, and plan to leave it in for over an hour.

Lustrasilk Olive oil cholesterol

Water, Stearamidoproply Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Olive Oil, Cholesterol, Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Fragrance, Vitamine E, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Phosphoric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Sisodium EDTA, Yellow # 5, Blue # 1.

ratgirldjh
March 18th, 2009, 08:18 PM
drink more water

BlackfootHair
March 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Funny you should mention that. I've actually been drinking a lot more water lately. I wonder if the water from the tap is making my hair worse. Too much chlorine. I should buy a filter from Sears like I used to use. It did make a difference. I will have to wait till next week though since funds are limited this week. :)

Hasn't it been said that coconut oil acts as a chelator?