PDA

View Full Version : Rocking back and forth while braiding???

joyfulmom4
March 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Anyone do this?

I was watching this great hairstyling video, courtesy of torrinpaige http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y3LvWpncQQ&feature=channel_page When the video cuts out to a screen where she says something like "watch me do my little braiding snake charmer dance" and she's sortof swaying back and forth while she braids. Then she laughs and says "I have no idea why I do that, I just do".

Neither do I. But I do the same thing. So now I have to ask if anyone else does. I can't stand still while braiding. I always end up rocking back and forth. Too funny.

angelthadiva
March 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I have not seen the video, but I imagine I do something similar...I wouldn't call it a dance, I simply walk around; rarely do I stay in one spot--like never.

Monkey962
March 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I have not seen the video, but I imagine I do something similar...I wouldn't call it a dance, I simply walk around; rarely do I stay in one spot--like never.

Me too. I just cannot sit still. And I usually need a lot of space to walk around, too.

Jeni
March 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I do it too but then I tend to rock/sway during a lot of thing. I do it the most when I hear a baby crying.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

angelthadiva
March 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Me too. I just cannot sit still. And I usually need a lot of space to walk around, too.

Oh, yeah...And God forbid if I clunk my elbow into a door jam...I do this A LOT!

AJoifulNoise
March 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I, too, sway. I think it helps me keep track or something. I also arch my back when working behind my head.

Coriander
March 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I do this!!! :laugh:

I saw Torrin Paige's videos too and thought it was cute, her braided snake charmer dance lol

I can't stay still :)

GlennaGirl
March 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Do you suppose it could be a comfort thing? You know, memories of mom braiding your hair for you...rocking...childhood-based, happy, soothing, fun comfort things.

Sorry to get all psychological on ya!

Alia
March 4th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I don't rock, but I do close my eyes...:hmm:

spidermom
March 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I do hip circles and various pelvic tilts/drops. I figure since my arms are getting a workout, my hips and legs might as well too.

I sit still and braid quite often too, like in the morning when I'm getting ready to go to the fitness club and work out.

Heidi_234
March 5th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Okay, when I'll get so bored in the process of braiding that I would have to walk around/rock back and forth/do something with myself, then I'll know I have long hair.:laugh:

mira-chan
March 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I don't sway, instead I freeze up and only my arms move. I do close my eyes sometimes.

MischiefsMuse
March 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I sway too. I don't do it for anything but braiding. Don't know why. It's not conscious. I can't remember if I do it while braiding something other than hair, but I don't think so... Weird. I do like the snake charmer comment :)

Das Siechtum
March 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Since braiding is a "relaxing ritual" for me, I just stand in front of the mirror and focus on the braiding process. :-)

kali_shey
March 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I like that - braiding as exercise.
Unfortunately, I think I just make a weird squintyface.

I had short hair as a kid so my mother didn't do much braiding on me, so maybe that accounts for it? Or maybe I'm just odd.

yrrebwartsymssi
March 5th, 2009, 09:51 AM
i definately sway when i am braiding my hair! It kinda soothes me and makes it seem like time is going faster :D

Finoriel
March 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I donīt sway or rock while braiding :p my bathroom is tiny there would be no space for that anyways. Most times I do my hair while doing something else like reading something or talking, watching news or on my way out of the door... no definitely not rocking.
Fascinating that so many people seem to do that.

Fencai
March 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
i have never noticed if i do it, but I will certainly pay more attention. I never look at it while braiding that's for sure! Cant look in the mirror. I dont even look in the mirror while putting in contacts or earrings!

now Im curious!

enfys
March 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I never look in the mirror as I do it either. Maybe rocking helps you keep time? Like marching left-right-left-right? So you don't lose where you are. I dunno.

I'm pretty sure I don't so it myself, but I'm tempted to try now....

Nevermore
March 6th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Do you suppose it could be a comfort thing? You know, memories of mom braiding your hair for you...rocking...childhood-based, happy, soothing, fun comfort things.

Sorry to get all psychological on ya!

I wish this were the case :\ No one else has ever braided my hair for me and my mother was one of the mothers who yanked a comb through my hair (which she tangled intentionally while washing), said it was too much work and chopped it off.

BlndeInDisguise
March 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I haven't noticed that I do, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did. I rock back and forth (or some side to side) a lot. Especially when holding a baby/child. It's impossible for me NOT to rock when I'm holding a baby/child. :p

GlennaGirl
March 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I wish this were the case :\ No one else has ever braided my hair for me and my mother was one of the mothers who yanked a comb through my hair (which she tangled intentionally while washing), said it was too much work and chopped it off.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh no. :( As somebody old enough to be your mom (actually, my son is three years older than you!) this makes me sad. I wish people would remember to try to be gentle with children.

joyfulmom4
March 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I haven't noticed that I do, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did. I rock back and forth (or some side to side) a lot. Especially when holding a baby/child. It's impossible for me NOT to rock when I'm holding a baby/child. :p

Me too. In fact, it's impossible for me not to rock back and forth when I'm watching someone else holding a child. ;)

GlassEyes
March 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
A character on LEgend of the Seeker has had that style at some point. o-o

End threadjack.

gdimoonbeam
March 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Oh My! The things we do with out thinking of them. I rock back and forth from heel to toe when braiding.

Nevermore
March 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh no. :( As somebody old enough to be your mom (actually, my son is three years older than you!) this makes me sad. I wish people would remember to try to be gentle with children.

I hadn't realized you were mom-aged until now, lol. But I wish people would be gentle with children and that the law would step in when neccessary. Some mothers, like mine, don't deserve the title, imo. Only people who actually care for and about their kids should be able to call themselves moms.

JamieLeigh
March 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM
WOW. I do!! :agape: I never knew that before!! DH knew, but didn't tell me......so like a man!! :p