PDA

View Full Version : honey for conditioning?

AmyJorgensen
March 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I think I must be a thread killer too. I was looking at another tangling thread and I saw it mentioned about using honey in the conditioner or as a moisturizing treatment. All I ever see info about is honey lightening(which I am not interested in). Could you talk a little bit about the specific ways to use honey to moisturize...I am sort of worried that I would get sticky hair.:confused: I am just starting to do no cone conditioner and am also experiencing some tangling.

ratgirldjh
March 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
i've used honey when i was WO washing and what i did was wet my hair and hands and pour honey in my hands and rubbed it all over my hair and scalp - let it sit for about 15 minutes and then massaged it in good and rinsed, rinsed, and rinsed. it rinsed out easy and i did not notice any color lightening - but it took out the waxy feeling my hair had and left it soft and shiny!
i've tried molasses for the same usage - and it worked but seem to leave my hair a little dry feeling after.

Shanarana
March 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I remember it being mentioned that if you microwave the honey first it takes away the properties that can lighten it.

ktani
March 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I think I must be a thread killer too. I was looking at another tangling thread and I saw it mentioned about using honey in the conditioner or as a moisturizing treatment. All I ever see info about is honey lightening(which I am not interested in). Could you talk a little bit about the specific ways to use honey to moisturize...I am sort of worried that I would get sticky hair.:confused: I am just starting to do no cone conditioner and am also experiencing some tangling.

This is the thread you need, IMO, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

2 things.

1. Honey can leave a residue on the hair that can cause dryness and tangling. Extra rinses (water) and a diluted vinegar rinse can help but shampoo has been reported to resolve the problem, the best.

2. In order to help ensure that no lightening takes place, from a prolonged honey and conditioner treatment (1 hour, at least), microwave the honey separately first, for 30 seconds to under 1 minute. This destroys the enzyme in honey that generates hydrogen peroxide production.The aloe gel in the SMT recipe, contains Vitamin C, which can deplete the peroxide level a honey can produce (without microwaving). Honey slowly releases peroxide, when diluted with a liquid that contains water (like conditioner).

Shanarana
March 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Ah, there she is...our honey expert. :)

PurpleAshes
March 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I LOVE using honey as a conditioner.
I just take two spoons and mix it with the conditioner that's already on my hair, and leave it for a couple of minutes. It leaves my hair very shiny, soft, and it tames the frizz in my canopy that nothing else seems to tame.

RancheroTheBee
March 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I've used it in my conditioner twice. The first time, I could hardly believe how soft my hair was. Second time, it tangled like hell, probably because I neglected to rinse properly.

ktani
March 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I've used it in my conditioner twice. The first time, I could hardly believe how soft my hair was. Second time, it tangled like hell, probably because I neglected to rinse properly.

It can also be the honey. Honey residue can be left behind by both raw and pasteurized honeys. Leaving honey and conditioner on the hair for a few minutes, is not enough time for any lightening to take place, so there is no need to microwave the honey.

joyellen
March 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I used honey and conditioner as a deep treatment and it really made my hair soft and shiny. It really kept frizz under control too.

GlennaGirl
March 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
My hair LOVES honey.

I CO it in, and CO it out. It works really well for my hair. Not for everybody's, though...as ktani said, some people get a sort of residue. You could always try it and if you feel "sticky" rather than buttery soft, CO or shampoo it out.

Good luck!

ktani
March 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
My hair LOVES honey.

I CO it in, and CO it out. It works really well for my hair. Not for everybody's, though...as ktani said, some people get a sort of residue. You could always try it and if you feel "sticky" rather than buttery soft, CO or shampoo it out.

Good luck!

Yes, CO'ing can be a great way to remove honey from hair. It is all about what works for the particular honey used and the method preferred.

Heidi_234
March 5th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I mix it with my favorite organic conditioner(s) and a tbs of EVOO. I wet my hair before taking a shower, slap on the goop, bun it and wait an hour or little bit more. It sort of like SMT, although SMT didn't work for me.
I wash my hair with poo bar (+ ACV rinse) and finish off with catnip rinse (which I don't rinse out in the end of the shower). The result - soft, moisturized hair for a week. And this comes for a person with hair that tends to so much dryness I don't shower to make my scalp clean, but to save my hair from over-drying. I did it few times already, no build-up to report of.

Unofficial_Rose
March 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Every time I wash and condition my hair, I use 1/3 honey to 2/3 coneless conditioner (Aussie Miracle Moist works well for this), leave it on while I have my breakfast then rinse out. Also use a pea-sized amount of Kimo's shea butter, coconut oil and aloe vera mix as a leave-in.

Makes for much happier hair than my old coney condishes, or even cone-free on it's own :D It's also not expensive, so it may be worth a try. Not sure if it lightens, I do henndigo glosses so I re-apply frequently anyway.

Katze
March 5th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I use honey a lot either mixed with conditioner, on its own, or as part of an SMT.

When I was washing without shampoo I would scrub with crystallized honey, leaving it on for a few minutes and really scrubbing my scalp with it.

Sometimes I mix it with conditioner for extra moisture.

However, my very favorite is SMT: honey, deep conditioner, and pure aloe vera. I either use this as a deep treatment, simply mixing the ingredients together and leaving them on freshly washed hair for an hour or two, OR I do SMT as part of a CWC wash - condition with SMT on the ends, wash with shampoo, condition entire head.

The honey really makes my hair softer and smoother and 'slipperier', gives good shine, and calms my scalp when it is itchy or flaky. I have never had honey lighten my hair in all the years of using it.

HTH!