PDA

View Full Version : Monistat Poll - Did Monistat (or equivalent) Make Your Hair Grow Faster ?

waidz
March 31st, 2008, 06:01 PM
I started this poll on the old site, and thought I'd re-start it as I watch the Monistat thread growing and growing lol.

Just a request, if you select "Yes-my hair grew faster", please could you post a before and after post to help.

I voted yes and here is my photo. It's a collage that shows how damaged my hair was pre-LHC. I started MN (Daktarin) on 9 January - the growth is between December and February. I am growing the damage out - and I have to say MN has definately given me faster growth.
I use it mixed with Castor Oil, massaged into wet hair about 2-3 times a week with Coconut Oil on my length.
I haven't taken an updated photo yet - but have trimmed, but there has still been growth. Will post new photos tomorrow.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=308&pictureid=3866

ladystar
March 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM
I just started I hope I works as much for me as it did for everyone else. =) I cant wait

Jeni
March 31st, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm on my 2nd week (4% 3 times a week). I haven't taken a before picture, maybe I should. I dyed my roots right before I started, so I plan to use the regrowth as my measurement.

Jeni

Wanita
March 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos. And I can't say that overall my length grew faster. But I do know that I am growing a bunch of new hairs along my hairline, especially in a receding area on my right temple.

If I can figure out how to get a picture of those, I will post that.

stepha
March 31st, 2008, 06:49 PM
I haven't sat down to work out how to upload photos but I've gotten 3 inches in less than a month. I've been posting my method and results on the Monistat...Dare we start this again thread.
Love the MN!

silkenblacksea
March 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Yes! I gained an inch a month (from October to January). This was a half- inch over my normal monthly growth which was - well, a half inch. :D
I stopped using the 2% generic Wal-Mart brand, (which was all I used) because my scalp sebum became very dry and that affected the moisture level of my hair adversely. I don't have any before or after pics though. :(

blackfrostqueen
March 31st, 2008, 09:16 PM
I don't mind the idea, and if it works would love to use it. I'm just trying to figure out how to get my BF to use it, with thinning hair and all. I think, if it works, it would help!

Voted: 'or going to start using it!'

Jeni
March 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
blackfrostqueen- could you squeeze it into a jar, maybe put a drop or 2 or some "manly scent" in it, mix it up and just not tell him what it is? What he doesn't know wont hurt him....Later if/when it starts to work you can brake the news to him, or not.

Jeni

DecafJane
April 1st, 2008, 12:24 AM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7969/210320082tl4.jpghttp://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1399/01042008gl3.jpg

The picture on the left was taken on the 21st of March, and the second was taken today (11 days later). In the second picture, my hair is not straightened, but in the first it (pretty much) is straighter - to tell the length increase better, look at the bottom left side of my hair. (Sorry, it looks more obvious when the picture is larger, but I didn't want to do that to your computers.)
I did a quick measure this afternoon, and it looks like it has grown about 2cm in the past 11 days, which is above average! I'm definitely going to keep up with this for the next little while, as mad as it sounds. :cheese:

cupcakeblonde
April 1st, 2008, 02:27 AM
what is monistat?

DecafJane
April 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM
Antifungal cream with miconazole as the key active ingredient. Different brand names are available in different countries. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156) is another thread about it.

Madam Librarian
April 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
I used it for a little over a month from mid January to late February. I didn't get any growth at all during that period. I still haven't seen any growth since stopping the treatment.

I'm thinking about giving it another shot. I have had some stress lately, and I'm getting to the point where life is calming down again. I believe my growth stall is more than likely stress related. I've been applying the monistat again, but I haven't been consistent or really deliberate about it just yet. I admit, I am a little spooked by the growth stall since I've gained 1/2 inch per month without fail ever since I joined LHC and started measuring.

suicides_eve
April 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM
all my length picture are in my album

jojo
April 6th, 2008, 02:05 AM
from 21" to just short of 23" in 2 months and i did an inch chop as well, so overal 3" in 2 months, i normally grow just over 1/2" a month so in my case it doubled my growth rate.

ilovelonghair
April 6th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I still don't know if it's doing anything for me. At one point it looked like it did, but lately not. But I haven't been consistent. Now I'm putting it every day so I can be sure to see if it really works.
It has helped me with my scalp problems though!

Curlyredhead
April 6th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Is this the same stuff used for yeast infections?

Jeni
April 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Curlyredhead -yes it is

Elizabeth
April 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Great poll! I've wondered if it really worked. I think I'll give it a try since it would be great to get an inch or more each month.

chloeishere
April 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/Mico1007to308.jpg
There's my picture. Approximately 5.25" in 6 months. I normally am an average to slow grower.

DecafJane
April 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Wow, your hair looks great!

chrissy-b
April 11th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I haven't been measuring (it's just doesn't work for me), but I think it's safe to say that MN has made my hair grow faster. I cut it Jan 5th to just above my chin and in about three months it's almost to my shoulders. :cheese:

I've been a chronic trimmer for the past 10 years or so, and three months without a trim is the longest I've ever gone so I'm sure some of the noticeable growth is due to that. However, I did have some patchy thinning areas that are growing in and I've noticed new hairs sticking up everywhere. (I kinda wish that I could attribute my recent growth to the vitamin regimen that I created for myself, but no...I can't seem to take my vitamins regularly.)

Ultimately, I'd like to stop the MN and see if my growth decreases, but I think I'll wait just a bit longer before doing that experiment.

April1
April 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Id really like to start this Monistat thing too. The growth sounds fantastic.

I have a cream called "Clonea" an antifungal skin cream with Clotrimazole 10 mg/g in it..............would that do.

I think Im kind of scared that one day eveyone will report here that using these creams has caused there hair to suddenly fall out:eek:

biggeorge
April 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I think Im kind of scared that one day eveyone will report here that using these creams has caused there hair to suddenly fall out:eek:

Actually the main active ingredient, Miconazole, is the same ingredient in Rogaine, which is prescribed for hair growth, and is approved by the FDA. So there is a track record of research on Rogaine and the positive benefits regarding hair growth.

WritingPrincess
April 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I picked that I don't intend to try it. I would love the growth, but in reality, I'm probably never going to get around to it.

chrissy-b
April 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Actually the main active ingredient, Miconazole, is the same ingredient in Rogaine, which is prescribed for hair growth, and is approved by the FDA. So there is a track record of research on Rogaine and the positive benefits regarding hair growth.

I thought the active ingredient in Rogaine was Minoxidil. Are miconazole and minoxidil the same thing? So, does that mean if we all stop using it our hair is going to fall out like it would if we were using Rogaine?

Now I'm scared.

biggeorge
April 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I thought the active ingredient in Rogaine was Minoxidil. Are miconazole and minoxidil the same thing? So, does that mean if we all stop using it our hair is going to fall out like it would if we were using Rogaine?

Now I'm scared.

I stand corrected and offer my apologies; I was under the impression that the same active ingredient was in both; it is not. Minoxidil is a vasal dilator, not an anti-fungal agent as is miconazole.

I guess we all have to prove that we are not perfect at some time!

chrissy-b
April 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I stand corrected and offer my apologies; I was under the impression that the same active ingredient was in both; it is not. Minoxidil is a vasal dilator, not an anti-fungal agent as is miconazole.

I guess we all have to prove that we are not perfect at some time!

No worries. I just got a little scared that my new growth was going to fall out, that's all.

The good thing about this is that it made me question what I was putting on my scalp and if it really was a good idea to continue. I usually decline any prescription meds, opting for an herbal remedy but I'm putting an OTC medication on my scalp to grow my hair when there are herbal options out there and when none of us really know the long term ramifications. :shrug: I'll probably continue because it really does work, unless someone starts having a horrible reaction to MN.

Elfling
April 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM

This is actually not correct. Miconazole is an anti-fungal. Rogaine is Minoxidil. Two very, very different drugs!

EDIT: NM, already caught by somebody :)

Suldrun
April 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I just posted this on the other MN thread but I will put it here also.

I have a photo of my hair while wearing a striped sweater on 2/15/08 and another in the same sweater on 4/14/08 ( I figured the horizontal stripes would help me track growth)

I measured the stripes and it looks like I have 2 and 3/8 inches of growth. This is a little more then 1 inch a month. I do not have a baseline as I never measured or took pictures before the MN. This is faster then avgerage growth though and I know I am not a fast grower at least compared to all my friends. So I would say it incresed my growth.

camillacamilla
April 30th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I grew about 3/4 an inch per month I believe in stead of the usual 1/2 inch

Velvettt
May 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
I really don't want to rain on anyone's parade or start a bickerfest, but I feel compelled to point something out to those of you just starting on this.

You're reading about the success stories. You are aware of that, right? It's human nature to want to shout to the world when something works or when something good happens.

There are a lot of folks here who did not have success with this and, in fact, had problems. Quite a few people tried this and had to stop when either a.) their hair began to shed badly; or b.) got headaches after a few treatments.

Just be aware of this.

We tend to not pay attention to threads like this once we've discarded the idea being discussed, so that's why no one is posting about problems.

mommy2one05
May 2nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I really don't want to rain on anyone's parade or start a bickerfest, but I feel compelled to point something out to those of you just starting on this.

You're reading about the success stories. You are aware of that, right? It's human nature to want to shout to the world when something works or when something good happens.

There are a lot of folks here who did not have success with this and, in fact, had problems. Quite a few people tried this and had to stop when either a.) their hair began to shed badly; or b.) got headaches after a few treatments.

Just be aware of this.

We tend to not pay attention to threads like this once we've discarded the idea being discussed, so that's why no one is posting about problems.

I agree! Before trying anything as good as it sounds then I would recommend that you do a thorough research and get lots of advice both good and bad.

tmmycat
May 3rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
ok dumb question (sorry) ....
do you put monistat on your scalp?

UrbanEast
May 4th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Quite a few people tried this and had to stop when either a.) their hair began to shed badly

Wow, I didn't know about the shedding. I really wish there were some clinical trials on this so that I could see what percentage of people get this side effect. I'm a bit hesitant to try this now.:(

UrbanEast
May 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM
ok dumb question (sorry) ....
do you put monistat on your scalp?

I haven't tried it myself, but from reading the Monistat thread, yes. It sounds like people are diluting so that it spreads better.

AshleyP
May 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
My hair grew faster while using it, but I lost track of doing it. :shrug: Haven't done it in such a long time now. I might eventually get back around to doing it one day.
I grew about an inch and a half in a month.

redneckprincess
May 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
planning to buy some by this weekend!! wish me luch and another inch of growth per month!!! ♥

so when you say you mix 1" of the MN to 3 tbsp of water is that really enough to use on the entire scalp, I just dont see that being enough. Also if I may ask...can you mix this up and let it sit till the next application in a couple of days?

♥Angie

Canarygirl
May 12th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Is that really the reputation of Rogaine? That when you stop using it there's a high risk of one's hair falling out? I'd never heard that before. :confused:

Forever_Sophie
May 13th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Just be aware of this.

Right, I was hoping that might be one of the voting options - "Did anyone experience neg. effects?" type q.

The shedding is my biggest concern, and longer hair isn't worth the risk, IME. Threads like this are so compelling, but...I can't bring myself to try this. *swallows biotin* ;)

sarawr
May 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I had no idea you could use it for hair!
I may have to try that.. although I do find it a little weird. xD

Is there a thread on how exactly to use it/apply it?

GlassEyes
May 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
It did. I ran out.

I need to get some more, but I fear using it too much because we don't know if there's any side effects. XD; But I've been meaning to get some more. I used it on my hairline and in my bangs, and they did grow out a LOT faster, so I'll get another tube soon and dilute it for the rest of my scalp.

Nanni
June 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Haven't used it for that long yet. I have to wait and see.

fishwich
June 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Used it for three weeks and saw zero change--and I started right after a dye job too, so it's easy to see how much it's grown since then. Precisely as much as it normally grows, I'm afraid to say. I might keep going with it just to use up the tube, but so far I have no positive result. No negative either (i.e., no side effects) so basically it's a wash.

wintersun99
June 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM

theshadowpuppet
June 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Pretty sure it helps with growth... very minimally. But then again, I did buy the cheap target brand.

I think I have more baby hairs for sure.

paper
June 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM
I just started using it.

NotOfThisWorld
June 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Interesting... *wonders off to ponder this new thought*

dulce-de-leche
June 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I tried it and there was no change.My hair grows fast naturally and I was hoping for faster growth.The only thing I gained was some weird looks when buying Monistat in bulk:bigeyes:

Orchid_28
June 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I found this video on youtube about Monistat its so funny!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfn5XrQD0RQ

squiggyflop
October 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
um well i dont have a before and after pic.. but im sure that its the only thing that can snap my hair out of stalls.. but then again when my hair stalls its generally due to a fungal infection.. so it makes sense that it would work.. my hair generally grows pretty fast anyway, as im sure most of you know already..

so yes it worked for me.. although it gave me the feeling that the reason it works for other people is that they must have a slight fungal infection that slows their growth..

also the stuff works great at minimizing dandruff

eta: no rise in shedding for me.. and no headaches either.. i guess everyone is different

rhubarbarin
October 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I only used it for a few months. During those months it doubled my growth rate, from about 1/2" to 1". I keep on saying I will start using it again, but I am so lazy...

I did full-strength applications of 2% cream. I had no side effects (shedding, headaches) but did get the slightest tingling sensation on my scalp for a few minutes after I rubbed it in.

froglet
October 5th, 2009, 07:45 AM
It definitely made my hair grow faster for the short time I used it but I got a terrible migraine (my first ever!) and it was so painful I was afraid to continue using the monistat. It's too bad because it really did seem to work.

thunderlilies
October 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I did give it a try but also got a terrible migraine (something I never ever get) and so I promptly gave up the idea. Who knows what long-term ill effects I would discover with continued use?!
Too bad, though. Faster growth is so tempting - lol!

Talma
October 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
I found this video on youtube about Monistat its so funny!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfn5XrQD0RQ

Lol too funny!!! Had a nice combo of making me say "Ewwwwww!!!" and my scary Hilary Clinton style cackle.

I haven't tried it yet but I think I will. I'm prone to migraines so I'll try a diluted solution using the 2% I'll keep everyone posted on whether or not it gave me a migraine. I hope it doesn't cause excess shedding. That's a deal breaker for me!

Sissy
October 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
never tried it and prolly won't ever.

ashimajoy
October 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I've just started. I was so relieved not to get the headache!! I was worried because I already have lots. I mixed it up and put it in a cake decorating squeeze bottle because it's little and what I already had. I did buy name-brand after reading all these posts, because saving $3 just to waste all the $$$ I spent because the store-brand didn't work as well would've been truly stupid on my part.

I'll post pics as soon as I get priveleges and find my camera.

earthymamawitch
December 16th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I believe mine has grown about 1/2" to 3/4" in 9 days. Had what was supposed to be a trim on the 4th, and started MN on the 9th. My bangs were VERY short after the hairdresser botched them and uneven. Mid forehead or so. Now the longer side is just touching eyebrow. And the front of my bob was earlobe length and is now touching my jawbone. I have before pix, will try to get after pics after I wash later (hair is marinating in monistat and a length oiling at the moment and tucked into my favorite bandanna lol)

Jenn

earthymamawitch
December 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Ok my routine... I use name brand Monistat 2% every other day, with an inch or two diluted into a few tablespoons of rosemary/nettle tea with a few drops of rosemary and lavender EO's added, then shaken in an old hair dye bottle and applied to wet hair - I preoil the length to protect it from any MN that may touch it. So below are progress pics. The ones on the left of each pair were taken on the 4th right after what was supposed to be a salon trim - the stylist BUTCHERED my bangs tho and they were like 2 inches long :mad: and uneven. they are now 1/2" or so from brow length again already in barely 2 weeks of mn. It seems I've gained at least 1/2" length, maybe 3/4", overall... hard to measure when this short so I will let the pics tell the tale. The sides were about earlobe length at the time of cut with the points of the bob around lip level when pulled forward. They are now jaw length with the points almost reaching to chin when I pull them forward. Also the nape of neck was about 1/4" long and now it's at least 3/4".

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/goddessofweird/bangsmiddecprogress.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/goddessofweird/hairjourneymiddec2010.jpg

This is MUCH faster than my normal growth, at least twice as fast... maybe more since my growth has been SLOW the past year since giving birth, always is when breastfeeding even though I take biotin and MSM.

Jenn

naturegirl321
December 29th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I've looked at using Monistat, but have found that Neosporin AF seems to have the same active ingredient: MN. Anyways, I'll be starting in January.

JuneBride
December 29th, 2010, 07:45 AM
This is a great idea for a poll...I got about an inch growth in a 45 day period! See my profile albums for pics! It just got a little expensive :(

pelicano
December 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I don't think anything that can give you headaches/migraines is a great idea to try just for increased hair growth...

Vapunzel91
December 30th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I want to try, but I'm unsure how to use it. Would I use it like bleach--all over my hair, or in the roots? Is it a cream or a pill????????

I really have no clue on this...

And when it comes to waiting for hard facts on whether this is more bad/good, my hair is bleached anyway... so it won't be much help until that goes away... plenty of time to wait for the trials. ^_^

Vapunzel91
December 30th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Id really like to start this Monistat thing too. The growth sounds fantastic.

I have a cream called "Clonea" an antifungal skin cream with Clotrimazole 10 mg/g in it..............would that do.

I have same fear...

Dark Queen
January 18th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Antifungal cream with miconazole as the key active ingredient. Different brand names are available in different countries. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156) is another thread about it.

Thank you! That's very informative

Anshul585
January 4th, 2017, 04:13 AM
OH my gaawd! Never heard about monistat before. I'm excited to try it out.
Thank you all for the info.

Begemot
January 29th, 2019, 07:36 AM
I'm not entirely sure. Maybe it's too soon to say. This thread encourages me to keep experimenting with Monistat. Everywhere I hear that it's impossible to make your hair grow faster but I want to believeeeee...! :alien: :Star:

lapushka
January 29th, 2019, 09:00 AM
I still have no interest in it, but then I have no issues in that respect. So, there's that.

If you have to use something like this, I feel you. I lost chunks of my hair age 13/14 w/ bald patches and that was a *very* hard time for me, but since it was my hormones balancing out and the doctor said (seen my age) to just let it run its course (wait and see for a while), I was kind of stuck. Things like this weren't indicated for a young person such as me at the time. It took a year and then it settled. Thank goodness.

I really sympathize with those of you going through major hair loss up to bald patching. I do. :flower:

Natalia_A00
January 30th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Since I heard about things like Monat, I'm skeptical about miracle products like this. Does it have any secondary effects? Is it drying, damaging, or makes your hair fall out? Sounds kinda dangerous for me, I don't know. And people have said that it can cause you migraines.
If it works I'd be the first one to try it, but I don't know, I always think that these products come with a secondary effect because they're "aggressive"

Margrit
January 30th, 2019, 10:23 PM
I do not intend to try it!

frozen.robot
February 3rd, 2019, 03:54 PM
I have started a couple of weeks ago, still no idea if there's any growth. It is not drying or itchy at all, and I have experienced no headaches