PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a makeover?

naomimcc
March 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I applied to be on a makeover show. A long hair makeover show.

I'm terrified I'll get picked.

I'm most scared about my hair even though I think I'm ready for a change. I've been ready for more than a year. My thought is that if I get picked...that's the sign to charge ahead and just do it.

I'm scared they're gonna call and I'm gonna chicken **** out...LOL

Would you do it?

Wasn't there an LHCer who did a show???

DragonLady
March 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, what show did you apply to?

AmyJorgensen
March 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think I understand. Did you apply because you were tired of your long hair? Or does it mean they make you over while keeping your hair more or less long?

AmyJorgensen
March 4th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I guess if you feel you're ready for a cut, then do what makes you happy and it will grow if you don't like it. Most of the makeover shows I've seen also tend to dye or highlight or lighten your hair as well. Food for thought.

Shanarana
March 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a makeover show with a woman with long hair that didn't get it cut short. Just something to keep in mind....they will talk you into it I'm sure.

naomimcc
March 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I applied for the Tyra Banks show.

I'm so ready to say goodbye to my locks, I'm just too chicken to take the first step. It's been 12 years with the same hair. I need a change. I need something different. I feel like I'm losing myself. And while I CANNOT STAND it when people say "it's just hair, you can always grow it back", the reality is..... I can always grow it back. My only stipulation is that I won't go any shorter than chin and it can't be layered.

If she doesn't call...I won't do it and the hair stays. If she does...I'm taking the plunge. But before I do I'm going to get professional photos done with my long hair. I want to remember it when it was long :)

Kimberly
March 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I've had a makeover, but not on a show, and I didn't let them cut my hair. I was asked to be in some sort of show (not on television) at a local beauty college, once, though. But they wanted me to sign an agreement that they could do whatever they wanted. While I was ready for a change, I wasn't going to give a blanket agreement to *anything*.

I would be nervous about being on a show even if I didn't have to sign an agreement like that because if they wanted to do something that really wasn't "me" it would be a lot harder under that much pressure -- particularly the time pressure.

Could be fun, maybe, for someone else, but I have a pretty clear idea of what I like to look at and it just doesn't conform to what's "in" -- and they always want to give you a look that's "in."

joyfulmom4
March 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I agree with the others. They will most likely cut it short and do some sort of highlighting or coloring. If you want this, then go for it. If you're not sure or you know you want to keep your hair long, then I wouldn't do it.

Funny this subject should come up again. I just watched an episode of What Not to Wear and they had a long haired gal on there. She was 40. Of course they told her that she was too old to wear her hair long. And then they told her that her long hair was "aging" her. Huh? :hmm:

Could someone please explain how wearing a style that is "too young for you" makes you "look older"??? :slap:

Obviously I'm a little biased against these shows. But having admitted that, if a new haircut and style is something *you* want for yourself, then go for it.

Jessaka
March 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Nope, never had a makeover of any sort. I'm sure I wouldn't do a show where there was any chance of them cutting off my hair. I know how it feels to have chin-length hair and that is so not a good look for me. If you think you are ready and know it will look okay on you, then go for it, LOL. Tyra is cool. HAHA. ANTM starts soon eh.....today? hmm.

chelssix
March 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I've never had a hair makeover that I didn't pick myself. But you sound ready for a change, and it could be a lot of fun.

AJoifulNoise
March 4th, 2009, 05:30 PM
The only make-over I've had was self-induced. Best of luck. :)

chelssix
March 4th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Joyfulmom: Since you asked, the reason why having a style "too young for you" can make you look older is because it looks like you are trying to look younger than you are, but in an age-inappropriate way.
I don't think that long hair on it's own is too young for anyone, but evidently society does. That's always bothered me about makeover shows, that they think you are clinging to youthjust because you've grown out your hair.

bjjowett1993
March 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM
If you do get picked, and you do decide to cut your hair, only do what you are most comfortable with. If they want to give you a pixie cut, and you absolutely don't want to, without a doubt, meet them somewhere in between, something that they approve of, and that also works well for you, and that you like. Above all, it's YOUR hair, you choose what You would like. All the Best,

Brandon.

Shanarana
March 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
If you do get picked, make sure you let us know so we can see you on t.v. :)

Jessaka
March 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I wanna see someone familiar on tv :) haha.

Kimberly
March 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Joyfulmom: Since you asked, the reason why having a style "too young for you" can make you look older is because it looks like you are trying to look younger than you are, but in an age-inappropriate way.

Grr. I won't derail, so just: grr.

misspriss
March 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I want to be on a makeover show, but more for the clothing advice. I feel hopeless for finding clothes that fit and flatter my body.

I watch What Not to Wear a lot. I like how they usually go with the natural texture of the people's hair, especially with curly hair. I've even seen them keep long hair long before, but not always. You can't have it all, free clothes and makeup, and being on TV...you have to do what they say, even with your hair.

Cinnamon Hair
March 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Someone from the Maury Show found my videos on YouTube and asked me to do a makeover and donate the hair to LOL. Needless to say, I didn't reply to that email. So if the Tyra Show doesn't pan out, I'm pretty sure you would get some offers if you posted over at YouTube. Apparently that is where they troll for unknowing fashion victims. Of course if you want the makeover, then you're not a victim.

One thing to consider though, do you really want to be on a TV show broadcast internationally, and forever play out your makeover again and again in reruns? It might be a lot less embarassing to get the cut you want done yourself minus all the cameras.

We did have an LHC'er appear on What Not to Wear. It was a friend of ummm dang I don't remember her name. It's on the archive boards though I'm sure. IIRC she was a nanny and was only on the show for the clothing makeover, because she had trouble finding pants to fit her height/build since she was rather tall. She didn't give in to the cut which made the What Not to Wear people not so happy with her.

ETA: The LHC'er on What Not to Wear was TheWNTWGirl who is a friend of SaxGirl. Here are her posts about the show. Intro post (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=572947#post572947) and her post about the show (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=572974#post572974)

Kuchen
March 5th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Might be better to pluck up the courage and have your hair cut yourself :flower: The Tyra show is all about drama, outrageous moments and wowing the audience. You might end up with something you don't want. Could be great fun though, I'd LOVE to hear an LHCer's take on Ms Banks! Probably no point worrying till you do get picked though.

Actually a friend of mine cut from classic (and henna'd) years ago, and she went in stages, trying a variety of different looks as she went, from a "Rachel cut" to a classic, classic chin length bob. You have super long hair in great condition. It's a rare opportunity to try a whole range of looks before settling for one. Have fun, and 'ware Tyra!

Johanna
March 5th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I'd go on a makeover show.....if they didnt cut my hair.....or put me in clothes I just wouldnt wear....or........

Heck lets just go to a dayspa for the day.

Pixna
March 5th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'd go on a makeover show.....if they didnt cut my hair.....or put me in clothes I just wouldnt wear....or........

Heck lets just go to a dayspa for the day.

Heehee!!!!! I'm with ya on that! With makeover shows, I believe you have to sign a waiver to let them do whatever they want to. While the clothing advice might be helpful, I would not trust them to touch my hair. These shows are all about the drama, the reaction from the person and the audience, and they want extremes. They also love to show people at their worst so the makeover looks even better afterward. It's great to get free help and/or advice, but IMHO, the cost of it in other ways isn't worth it.

spidermom
March 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I was approached for a makeover several years ago, but when I said I wouldn't agree to a haircut, they moved on. I did appear on a television show about peer abuse 20+ years ago (school cootie, no friends). When I got there I started crying and tried to leave, but they talked me into staying so I sat there on camera and cried. Awful experience, but I hope it did somebody good somewhere. If one clique lightened up on one person, it was worth it.

joyfulmom4
March 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I was approached for a makeover several years ago, but when I said I wouldn't agree to a haircut, they moved on. I did appear on a television show about peer abuse 20+ years ago (school cootie, no friends). When I got there I started crying and tried to leave, but they talked me into staying so I sat there on camera and cried. Awful experience, but I hope it did somebody good somewhere. If one clique lightened up on one person, it was worth it.

Spidermom, that's really sad. I hope it made a difference for someone, somewhere. I lived through enough of that horror as a kid/young teen. :(

joyfulmom4
March 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM
One thing about those makeover shows (totally unrelated to hair) that is a problem for me is that they always dress the women up in such formal looking clothing. It might be what women wear in urban centers in other parts of the country, but in this small midwestern community, the dress code is way too casual for that stuff. If I went on WNTW and they sent me home with a wardrobe of their choosing, I don't know where I'd ever wear most of the stuff.

I have a professional job and we wear khakis and sweaters or casual jackets and blouses to work. I wear some skirts to work, but they are the type that WNTW shows for a casual outfit to go shopping or out to dinner with friends. I never wear skirts with heels like they show. Or even pants with heels most of the time. I rarely wear heels at all. And they would shudder to hear that I don't own a suit. But I would never wear it. I had suits, but they sat in my closet gathering dust until they were out of style. I wonder if they take into account the fact that their polished New York look doesn't fit well into all environments?

Coriander
March 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
We did have an LHC'er appear on What Not to Wear. It was a friend of ummm dang I don't remember her name. It's on the archive boards though I'm sure. IIRC she was a nanny and was only on the show for the clothing makeover, because she had trouble finding pants to fit her height/build since she was rather tall. She didn't give in to the cut which made the What Not to Wear people not so happy with her.

ETA: The LHC'er on What Not to Wear was TheWNTWGirl who is a friend of SaxGirl. Here are her posts about the show. Intro post (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=572947#post572947) and her post about the show (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=572974#post572974)

Yep, I remember that! I loved watching that episode because she told them off, seriously. Her hair was that important to her - it made me really furious that these "stylists" just couldn't fathom the idea of someone not being willing to part with their hair.

She was told some pretty harsh things too, if I remember right.

wintersun99
March 5th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I remember that episode as well. I am glad that she stood up for her beliefs, but I don't think what they said was all that harsh. All that was said was that the bottom (oh, maybe 6") were shattered...

Tap Dancer
March 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Nope, I've never had a makeover. I like to have complete control over how I want to look.

spidermom
March 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the links. I've been around for a long time and had never seen that exchange about WNTW.

GlennaGirl
March 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Oh ((Spidermom)). Kids can be seriously cruel. I had that for a few years too. Just awful. Hugs your way.

Johanna
March 5th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Does anyone know if the video is online to watch? I've read through a few of the posts talking about it and would be very curious to watch it for myself.
I don't like how the Hair dresser Nick was acting. He still could have made something really beautiful with her hair.

A good workman doesn't blame the tools and they strive to make the most out of the media they're working with. To paraphrase - "I can't snip it nothing at all can be done with it!"
Why?

You don't need to change the structure of a house to make it look like a masterpeice.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I cannot imagine getiing tired of hasir like I see here? I guess it happens, but I WANT hair like I see here!!

SimplyLonghair
March 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Naomimcc, if you are sure that you want a makeover, then do it, but as some have already said, make sure of what you are getting into before you jump. Even if I wanted a cut, if they said that I had to sign something that said that they were allowed to do whatever they wanted, I would not. I would have to have some control over the whole thing to do it at all.

It could be alot of fun or it could be a trainwreck. It all depends on how much control you have over what will be done.

Good luck in what ever you chose. If you want shorter hair, it isn't a permanent thing. If it isn't something that you love then you can always change it. I hope that you let us know what happens! :grouphug:

Dreams_in_Pink
March 6th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I love watching that kind of shows, but I personally wouldn't apply for any kind of makeover program because,

1. There's a high possibility that you'll end up with shoulder-length, layered, highlighted and flat-ironed hair (according to what i saw from "style by jury")
2. Don't know about Tyra Banks's , but all women who comes out of that kind of makeover look alike; no different style or anything. But they surely look "acceptable in society".

Chrissy
March 6th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Hi Dreams in Pink. Welcome. Umm....I have old eyes. Is there anyway to make your font a bit bigger? Thanks!!! I do have a comment on this thread.

One of our members a looooooooong time ago Lady Godiva I believe was on The Ananda Lewis Show. It was all about people with long hair and why they have it long. Any oldies on here remember that one? I bought the tape of the show. It was great.

Of course Lady Godiva looked beautiful!!! It was really nice seeing all the long hair on that show. Not all of them were extremely into there hair. I haven't watched the tape in a long time. I will have to revisit it.

I'm with a lot of others. If you're really not sure you want this I wouldn't do it. If you have to sign something saying they can do anything to your hair I wouldn't do it.

If you're feeling adventureous and just don't care and want to be surprised with whatever than do it. I wish you the best in your decision. I hope you can be happy with whatever happens. Let us know!!!

Dreams_in_Pink
March 6th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Hi Dreams in Pink. Welcome. Umm....I have old eyes. Is there anyway to make your font a bit bigger? Thanks!!!

Oops, sorry ^^; fixed now :)

jissy
March 6th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I thought I was ready for a change with my color. I was bored with the color I was (profile pic) and i wound up doing a red that was horrible then changing it to a blond that you see in my avatar pic with my dh. I liked the light blond a lot but due to issues for scalp I changed it back to natural color(a tiny bit redder than my natural color).

DH loves my long hair and he wont care how old I am. He says that long hair is sexy....so I dont get how people would say it adds age onto to person. Anyone who has anything negative to say about long hair simply doesn't have long hair...so I dont listen to them lol.

I think if you are ready then do it, what you can do is take a picture of your hair in a ponytail and use a white background or neutral and then google a site for looking at different hair styles after you download that picture. It should be fun not tramatic for you to go through this so it might help to see yourself in a different style or color.

Personally I can see myself in really short hair and having fun with it, I have been very very short and it was curlier and so much fun but the upkeep was a lot and that is what I dont want.

Have fun with this. If you are ready than go for it but I agree make sure they don't sucker you into something you dont want. You can even tell in advance that you do not want to be surprised on screen about your hair either because you wont want to embarrassment them with a no answer. lol

pdy2kn6
March 6th, 2009, 06:06 AM
i've seen an ep of the tyra banks show where 2 girls got their hair cut, i think one of them had never ever had a haircut in her hole life, so had natural fairytales. It must be exciting not knowing if they are going to call or not. how do you feel about loosing it? i know you said you wont cut it if you don't get a call, but do you feel you would like shorter hair? ignoring what everyone else tells you about how you 'should' look :) good luck