PDA

View Full Version : is leave-in necessary ?

devs12
March 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
my hair is about 17 inches now, and just today morning i saw ugly split ends not on 2 hair strands , so in between i can find split ends they are about 1/4 inch long. So i planned to go to parlor and get a trim , how much should i get it cut now ?

Do you think i should use leave in conditioner or aloe vera or 2 drops of oil to protect my hair in future from split ends ?

I hate that i m loosing this length very soon :(

LinearChaos
March 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Why not just do a dusting instead of cutting the length? If you don't have very many splits just dust. I would definitely use a leave in to protect your hair though. If your hair likes oils, they are the best!

lapushka
March 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I don't think there's anything that can protect you from split ends.

burns_erin
March 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Or do a search and destroy on a regular basis?

I do not find leave ins help me with splits, but henna does.

devs12
March 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Thank you for such quick response,, since my hair is about 3 inches below shoulders, i cant get those back hair and look for split ends and if i ask my hubby to cut it, then its going to be a even worst ;).. these days i have started using henna regularly.

burns_erin
March 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Thank you for such quick response,, since my hair is about 3 inches below shoulders, i cant get those back hair and look for split ends and if i ask my hubby to cut it, then its going to be a even worst ;).. these days i have started using henna regularly.

Yeah, the back ones are hard to reach, but check and make sure the back ones are actually split. For myself, I only ever really get them in the front because that is where they get the most stress.

Good luck with the henna!

Speedbump
March 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM
It all depends on how dry your hair is, how prone it is to damage and how oily your scalp is. :shrug: I used to use leave-in religiously because I really needed it, bigtime. I had massive damage and my hair was recovering from being horribly dry for most of my life. As the worst of it grew out, I needed less conditioner and less leave-in product. Now, I only use a leave-in when I know I really need it. I have learned to know what my hair feels like wet when it needs extra help.

As for splits, 99.9% of everyone gets them and it is no reason to get a big cut. Buying a pair of good hair scissors yourself, sitting next to a bright light and snipping splits one by one -- aka "search and destroy" -- is a great way to keep your ends healthy without trimming overall length. Some people on LHC ONLY do S&D and don't do "all over" trims at all. For most of us, S&D helps keep the trims much further apart.

HTH! :eyebrows:

kdaniels8811
March 4th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Catnip soaks really helped my hair stop breaking and splitting, there are threads on how to's and benefits - if I knew how to link them here I would! Good luck

ktani
March 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Catnip soaks really helped my hair stop breaking and splitting, there are threads on how to's and benefits - if I knew how to link them here I would! Good luck

I wrote a catnip Article, the other day, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

ktani
March 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM
my hair is about 17 inches now, and just today morning i saw ugly split ends not on 2 hair strands , so in between i can find split ends they are about 1/4 inch long. So i planned to go to parlor and get a trim , how much should i get it cut now ?

Do you think i should use leave in conditioner or aloe vera or 2 drops of oil to protect my hair in future from split ends ?

I hate that i m loosing this length very soon :(

No, from my exprience, a leave-in is not necessary. I have never liked them, regardless of what they are. Catnip tea works better for me, rinsed out.

spidermom
March 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I prefer to use my regular conditioner as leave-in, about a kidney-bean size amount. But I still get splits. Catnip seemed too astringent for my hair

julya
March 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Split ends are just a part of having long hair for me. I don't even do s&d anymore and I don't think my hair is any worse for it.

maskedrose
March 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Like Spidermom I use a small amount of a rich conditioner as a leave in, focusing on the ends. If I don't, my dry and damaged ends snarl and snap something fierce, which for me, means more split ends. However, if your hair feels pretty good, chances are that you are just getting a normal amount of splits from everyday handling. Just do as much S&D as you can given your length, but you probably don't need to trim much at all.

RancheroTheBee
March 4th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I use a number of leave-ins (oils, conventional cone-based leave-ins, etc - soon to be using henna again) but not as for the benefit of Mr. Splits. I just use it because my hair is very big, and there are many coarse, wiry strands that like to bunch up the under-layer and tangle my hair. Basically, leave-ins seem to help me avoid damage by making sure nothing gets tangled in my hair, or so none of my hair rips out while combing.

If you only have a few splits, just snip off the individual hairs. Believe me, I used to trim a little bit off every time I saw a single split, and I only gained three inches in a year. I learned my lesson. (I hope.)

devs12
March 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks everybody for your replies..

rymorg2
March 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I never use a leave in, my hair hates them. I don't S & D, and I haven't had a trim in 6 months. I have very few splits, and the ones that I have are just at angles instead of actual splits. AND I have had highlighting done with damage from them. The reason I don't have splits now is the catnip. I do catnip soaks 3 times a week. It's made a WORLD of difference in my hair.

eta I do use the very occasional oil, but even that is few and far between due to the catnip.

rhubarbarin
March 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Using an oil-based, moisturizing leave-in (I alternate between conditioner, gel, and coconut oil) does protect my hair from tangles, which helps reduce damage.

ktani
March 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I prefer to use my regular conditioner as leave-in, about a kidney-bean size amount. But I still get splits. Catnip seemed too astringent for my hair

Catnip takes time to work. It also depends on the mix. I have found pet catnip much better to the health food store bulk catnip I first used, although both work for me. The pet catnip from my experience, contains more buds, which contain more oils. Also experiment with dilutions. With catnip, less is more.