PDA

View Full Version : I have decided to maybe go bald (temporarily) and need your help/advice :).

SippyCup
March 31st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Hi :p

Wellllll, after I went from BSL to about 1 or 2 inches (to eliminate damage) I have had quite a lot of unusual pitch black, thick, coarse, bendy hairs grow in amongst my medium to dark brown, medium thick, very smooth, 1b/c hairs and I simply cannot tolerate them.

I am an obsessive person, especially about my hair (as some of you well know :D) and I just need to get rid of them. Ignoring them is not an option and cutting will only make them shorter, so I am thinking of actually going bald...as in using a hair removal cream and starting from scratch...but since this MAY be a hormonal issue, will they regrow in the same manner? Could my hair grow back differently...as in curly and fine (extreme case).

Ideally I'd like to speak to a Dermatologist about my little issue, but that isn't really an option...I told my Dad and he basically laughed at me, saying "it wasn't a big deal", but to me it's a massive deal because my hair would be ideal (to me) without the weird ones :(. I have sent an email to a local Dermatologist outlining my situation, asking what I can do to eliminate further growth of the weird hairs, but I can't really expect too much information, without making an appointment...which requires a referral and costs alot of money.

So, all in all, what's your outlook on this (other than put up with it hahah :D)?

Thankyou so much if you can offer me some help - Tim.

-

akurah
March 31st, 2008, 05:56 PM
You are not going to like what I have to say, I am just going to say this now and get it over with.

But there is NO POINT doing what you are wanting to do to get rid of those hairs. If you want those hairs gone permanently with a guarantee of those specific hairs never returing, you will have to kill the follicle using electrolysis (not laser, since that will get the surrounding hair follicles as well).

There's no guarantee that your other hair follicles will not start growing the same texture either. Your age is right about the age where many people get extreme changes in their hair texture--going from a 1a stick straight to nearly a 3c in some instances. It's not common but it's also not unheard of.

What I reccomend is you shave your head entirely and not grow long hair. Buy a wig or three instead. If you're stressing over this, you will stress over other things and you will never be happy with your hair. I can guarantee it.

Co Phi
March 31st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Well, SippyCup, in my opinion, shaving off the hair would be a very temporary solution, and one you might immediately regret. I'm a hairdresser, and I can tell you that many people have coarse, curly hair mixed in with the straighter ones. It's just the way some people's hair grows and if you shave it off it will most likely come back the same way. I suspect that you are the only one to notice it. I would encourage you not to shave it off.. and to try to live with it. That's my opinion, for what it's worth. Good luck to you!

Shell
March 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM
akurah is right. These wirey black hairs that you don't like will probably stay. They may even increase. I'd just let it grow and hope that they mellow out as they get longer (curly hair often does).

Best of luck.

SippyCup
March 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM
You are not going to like what I have to say, I am just going to say this now and get it over with.

But there is NO POINT doing what you are wanting to do to get rid of those hairs. If you want those hairs gone permanently with a guarantee of those specific hairs never returing, you will have to kill the follicle using electrolysis (not laser, since that will get the surrounding hair follicles as well).

There's no guarantee that your other hair follicles will not start growing the same texture either. Your age is right about the age where many people get extreme changes in their hair texture--going from a 1a stick straight to nearly a 3c in some instances. It's not common but it's also not unheard of.

What I reccomend is you shave your head entirely and not grow long hair. Buy a wig or three instead. If you're stressing over this, you will stress over other things and you will never be happy with your hair. I can guarantee it.Hmmm, good points. I have had a change in my overall hair aswell, before it was probably 2a, now it's more along the lines of 1b/1c, and 1a at the sides. It just annoys me that I don't see anyone else my age with these weird hairs (and I would, I have great eyesight haha :demon:).

Thanks for that akurah.

Perhaps I really do need to speak to a Dermatologist, but any other input is still very much wanted and appreciated.

sapphire-o
March 31st, 2008, 06:18 PM
As a guy, you can shave your head at any point of your life. :) If you want to grow nice long hair, right now is the perfect time, as you're young, healthy and don't need to worry about male baldness yet. I wouldn't worry about the wiry hair. Some people have a full head of those you know. If your hair gets long enough they'll be soft enough. Think: these thicker hairs might increase the thickness of your hair and make it look more impressive. :) I know you don't care about thicker hair at this age. However almost everybody's hair lose volume and get thinner as they age, starting out with more hair helps a lot. :)

zift
March 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM
I don't think there's much need for a dermathologist visit,what you're experiencing many people have too. Not everyone has uniform hair. Cutting it up and up and using a cream to go bald? well that's not wise to do because you have the roots and they'll grow back the same unless you hurt them. And I'm a medical doctor and I'm sure if you go to a dermathologist and s/he's not dying to take your money ,will most likely send you to psychiatry unit. I'm not trying to insult you or anything with this ,it's just what I honestly think will happen. I'll have to advice you to live with it too.
And if it's going to make you feel better my head is full of those black coarse and wiry strands :) you're not alone...

SippyCup
March 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM
As a guy, you can shave your head at any point of your life. :) If you want to grow nice long hair, right now is the perfect time, as you're young, healthy and don't need to worry about male baldness yet. I wouldn't worry about the wiry hair. Some people have a full head of those you know. If your hair gets long enough they'll be soft enough. Think: these thicker hairs might increase the thickness of your hair and make it look more impressive. :) I know you don't care about thicker hair at this age. However almost everybody's hair lose volume and get thinner as they age, starting out with more hair helps a lot. :)Yeah...now is the right time...I only wish when I'd started (15 - 16) I'd taken better care of it and never cut it...my hair reached BSL in 2 years from about 2 inches and that was with atleast 3 or 4 significant cuts...so luckily (like my Dad), have hair that grows faster than normal :). Had I not cut it, I would EASILY have been at waiste! Curse my hair ignorance haha.

Also like my Dad, I have thick hair, except mine is straight whereas his is wavy and ever thicker than mine...so one thing we won't have to worry about is baldness...YAY :D! My Grandpa who died at 80 or so still had a thick, full head of hair (not even the bald spot at the back). I actually used to hate having thick hair, but now I am grateful.

Thanks for the words of encouragement sapphire :).

Rae~
March 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm unclear how a dermatologist would help you in any way? As far as I can tell from what you've said, this doesn't seem to be a skin issue, and my understanding is that is what a dermatologist would deal with - issues of the skin/scalp etc. I believe it's a natural thing that, I'm afraid, you are just going to have to "get over" (without meaning that in a harsh way at all).

I know what it's like to not have the hair you wish you had, but ultimately you just have to accept it. Short of a hair transplant (or electrolysis or similar to remove those hairs), I doubt you'll be able to do anything about it. AND, I'm sure you are the only one even noticing them!

:twocents:

akurah
March 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not significantly older than you and I have plenty of those weird hairs.

I'm a 1c with henna, 2a without. I shed 3c/4a hairs regularly, I swear to god I shed at least one a week. They're at my nape so they rarely get longer than three or four inches due to, well, their location. But they're there, and they may pop up in more obvious places someday, but there isn't much I can do about it.

The only reason that most people don't notice it is because they're not very many and they are all the same color due to henna.

spidermom
March 31st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Yes SippyCup, by all means, shave your head and cover it with hair removing cream. Do this every morning. You will never be troubled by irregular hairs again.

As for me - I'll grow mine. I'll bet you can't even see the wiry, cork-screwy strands from where you're sitting.

TheSpottedCow
March 31st, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have those hairs. Most people have wiry thick darker hairs, but when they're long they're not as noticeable.

Almost everyone I know has them.

Most peoples are masked by their heat styling/straghtening/curling.

Dermatologists wont do anything about them.

You should leave them alone.

dagonlilly
March 31st, 2008, 07:08 PM
I have waist lenght hair and everyonce in awhile I notice a dark thicker hair then the others. I just pull them . I don't think shaving will destroy them they will just grow back.

Xanthippe
March 31st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Well, I'm just going to caution you against jumping right in and using hair removal cream on your scalp. According to this website (http://www.headshaver.org/articles/article_other_methods.html) it can cause burning and scabbing for some people. If you do decide to go through with it, be sure to do a spot test of a small part of your scalp to make sure you don't have a big reaction to it.

Be sure to remember the two week rule too. I do agree however that those wiry hairs will probably look better if you let them grow longer.

talullah
March 31st, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm a 2a with fine, dark blonde hair, and I have some of those hairs, too. Mine are black, very thick, and sort of bumpy or kinky. As everyone else has said, I think it's perfectly normal. You probably just hadn't noticed them until recently.

And, going bald won't do anything about it. I believe they will grow back in the same way. :flowers:

Blueglass
March 31st, 2008, 07:23 PM
I started getting these at 27, I'm 37 now, and overall they have made my hair darker. I really don't like them, recently I found out I had hypothyroid, and I hope with medication I will have fewer. Going bald is unlikely to help you, but I understand your feelings, because I despise them.
Even so, if you use antihair cream, you may be unable to grow hair in the future.

manderly
April 1st, 2008, 02:48 AM
Hmmmm, I recall you having great disdain for you "breakage" back on the old board, to which everyone believed were mostly baby hairs, and I replied with photos of my halo of baby hairs.

Honestly? I think you have some serious obsessive issues with your hair.

You had an entire thread full of women showing off their halos of baby and broken hairs, but you still couldn't accept them as natural and normal, and you shaved your head. That's fine, how's it growing now?

Now you have weird wiry hairs that you can't stand. Sure, shave it bald, you'll be rid of them.

My question is where will this bring you in a few months? Will you manage to find something new and imperfect to obsess about your hair? Why do you want to grow your hair if you seem to not like it? You can't change the texture of your hair, you have to learn to love and embrace it sooner or later if you want to grow it to any degree.

I'll just sit back a few months and wait for your next complaint..........

/and yes, I am being harsh, because I think you need to come to your senses and relax a little

DecafJane
April 1st, 2008, 03:08 AM
Learn to love the natural diversity of your hair colour and texture! I have hairs of nearly every colour on my head (from black and kinky to blonde and wavy) and I love it. It makes my head a more interesting place. I'm not the same all over, so why should my hair be?

Seriously, wanting to attack your head with hair removal cream is a feeling you should either ignore or work through without actually doing anything to yourself. :(

k_hepburn
April 1st, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm confused - didn't we have a thread on the exact same issue just a few days ago?

katharine

Nat242
April 1st, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hmmmm, I recall you having great disdain for you "breakage" back on the old board, to which everyone believed were mostly baby hairs, and I replied with photos of my halo of baby hairs.

You had an entire thread full of women showing off their halos of baby and broken hairs, but you still couldn't accept them as natural and normal, and you shaved your head. That's fine, how's it growing now?

Now you have weird wiry hairs that you can't stand. Sure, shave it bald, you'll be rid of them.

My question is where will this bring you in a few months? Will you manage to find something new and imperfect to obsess about your hair? Why do you want to grow your hair if you seem to not like it? You can't change the texture of your hair, you have to learn to love and embrace it sooner or later if you want to grow it to any degree.

I'll just sit back a few months and wait for your next complaint..........

/and yes, I am being harsh, because I think you need to come to your senses and relax a little

I have to agree 100%. Spidermom also has a great point.

One of the first rules of growing long, healthy hair is to learn to accept, love, and work with your natural texture.

Frankly speaking - you just need to "deal with it". Sure, it sucks that you don't have the texture you'd might want - but it can still be beautiful. Unless you accept it as is, you'll never be happy with it.
Unless you accept yourself as you are, you'll never be happy, nor can you learn to make the best of who you are.

-- Natalie

Lavendula
April 1st, 2008, 04:00 AM
Reading the posts made me worry a little... Maybe I'm way out of line for saying this, and maybe it isn't even necessary... then I'm sorry, but my intentions are good.

But, to be quite honest, I think you might be too obsessive with your hair. You already mentioned you are an obsessive person and your post made me wonder whether it's in a "normal/healthy" degree of obsessive behaviour or it's obsessive behaviour that becomes a problem. It's a problem when obsessing has come to the point that it determines your daily life and prevents you from having a healthy social life, work, education, hobbies, self esteem etc. If that's the case, you might consider getting psychological help. In any case, make sure NOT to use the hair removal cream, because it could prevent hairs from growing back.

Good luck to you:flowers:.

P.S. IMO, bald guys can be so HOT:grin:!

Kyamo
April 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM
I don't think shaving and using hair removal cream would have any effect on your problem.

zift
April 1st, 2008, 05:27 AM

Oh that thread! That was SippyCup too? Aw I remember how beautiful his hair was,too sad that he asked for our help and opinion back than and than chopped nomatter what.Well I hope that what we write now would make him think it over...

Phalaenopsis
April 1st, 2008, 05:28 AM
I have the same thing. I have light brown straight hair. And occasionally I see a black, coarse hair which is wavy. I'm 21 now and I know it is possible to still change (as my dad did).
I went from blond to very dark brown to blond again. At this stage I'm light brown. So maybe the really dark brown is coming up again.

Just accept it. I think every version of my hair is beautiful:) It's kind of exciting too. What am I going to get next?

FrannyG
April 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM
Going bald after being BSL is likely to make you miserable since you will likely have the same issue with your new growth. Unless you plan on going bald, and staying bald, I'm quite sure that you will find that with your regrowth you will still have the same variation in hair type and colour. I honestly think it will be a big waste of time.

Everyone here has some issue or another about their hair, and we eventually learn to accept it. If we didn't, this would be the "Bald Hair Community". :wink:

Please stop obsessing, and try to see the beauty in your hair. :)

k_hepburn
April 1st, 2008, 05:43 AM
Well, it seems the old memory is still working fine:

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=337)'s the thread SippyCup started on the same subject three weeks ago.

To be honest, while I understand this is worrying you, SC, I find it slighly rude to the people who answered in your first thread for you to be ignoring the fact that you had already asked for and been given advice on the subject by starting a new thread on the same subject in such a short time, rather than revive the old one.

Greetings

katharine

KnightsLady
April 1st, 2008, 06:08 AM
Why not try chemotherapy*? That changed my friends hair from very curly to completely straight and it only has a few inconsequential side effects.

Sippy, get a hold of yourself and go and see somebody about your obsession. That needs fixing. You know it does, because you yourself refer to your preoccupation as an obsession. Your hair hasn't done anything worthy of such punishment, other than fail to conform to your unrealistic ideals (and where did they come from anyway?).

*Apologies to all of those courageous people who have been through that treatment.:flowers:

MoonCreature
April 1st, 2008, 06:11 AM
I have a heap of those hairs and I just must say that I love them, they give so much volume to my hair (and make the color more intense). No-one, I promise you, will notice them. Not even my friends who have seen my hair for years and who have played with it, made different up-does etc believed me when I said I had black, thick, coarse hairs. Not untill I pointed out some of them.

Do you really want long hair? It doesn't sound so to me. If you do, then you need to stop obsessing and accept it, or go bald and get a wig.

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 06:32 AM
I just want to add that usually with a person that is "obsessive" over one thing or another there is something much "deeper" that needs desperately to be dealt with. PLEASE while you are still young get some help from a professional counselor who can help you get to the real issues here. HUGS to you and hope you get some much needed help and healing!!!

salamander
April 1st, 2008, 09:12 AM
SippyCup, I promise you that your hair is normal and healthy. I swear. This is your hair, and it always will be. Part of growing long hair is realizing that you will never have the hair you imagine in your mind's eye, and learning to love the hair you have in the real world. I wish I had frizz-less, brilliantly red hair with perfectly formed curls that swung around me without ever getting in my way. I would also like it to always fall in a symmetrical fashion. I will never have that hair, and I am OK with that. I like the hair I have, and I'll love it when it's long enough.

You look at your hair and you imagine the shampoo commercial hair you want, and it makes you miserable. I feel like that sometimes, too. Try an experiment, write down all the things you don't like about your hair. Then write down all the things you like about your hair. Remember, you aren't going to have fantasy hair. You will have beautiful hair. You do have beautiful hair!

missy60
April 2nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Im just wondering how your head will be when you shave all your hair off. I have seen some pretty ugly heads under that hair. What will you do then?

SparklePi
April 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Wait a few years until those wild odd textured GREY/white/silver hairs start coming in!!
I started getting mine in late 20's and now they are in near stripes over my ears and new ones popping up on top/front daily it seems. And my hair is dark, smooth, straight. The silvers are wiry, coarse, and wiggly. The new ones, i.e. SHORT ones, actually poke straight up through my other, 'regular' hair before brush smoothing!
Oh well! At least I have hair, some ladies and gents aren't so lucky.
Enjoy your hair as is. It will change. The only sure thing in life is change :P
P. S. Ditto others' words on the OCD. I am too, and talking to someone is a good idea.
huggles,

Blueneko
April 2nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
I'll be the, what, 10th person so say this... And you're not going to like it...

But I don't think your hair is the issue. I think your mental health and well-being might be, however.

I have actually never seen you post anything other than an alarmest post filled with hair hysterics, which turns into a ten-page thread of moaning and whining. It seems like an attention getting ploy, which is why I never posted before.

But I felt compelled when so many echoed what I was thinking.

You need some mental relaxation time to work out things in your life. Your hair is not the issue.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Im just wondering how your head will be when you shave all your hair off. I have seen some pretty ugly heads under that hair. What will you do then?

Now there's a good point! What are you going to do if you find that your head is - HORRORS! - asymmetrical? Or bumpy?

Seriously. Give it a rest. Push yourself at least arm's length back from that mirror. Stop micro-evaluating. Get a life.

getoffmyskittle
April 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Actually, melting out your hair follicles with a depilatory cream will make it grow back exactly how you want it, all smooth and perfect and all in one mass with nary an alternately textured or baby hair in sight. Don't you guys know that? :crazyq: I say go for it, SippyCup!

Miss Murphy
April 2nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm confused - didn't we have a thread on the exact same issue just a few days ago?

katharine

You're right, Katharine!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=337

I wonder if we really need two threads by the same author within 3 weeks, about the exact same thing...

momma smurf
April 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Ouch... I think you guys are being a bit harsh. This is a community devoted to hair, after all, I think it's natural to expect some obsession! It is also supposed to be a community of support...
SippyCup... I say shave it. As a guy, it'll be socially acceptable, and it's kinda cool to get a fresh start every now and then. Several members here have done it at some point in their lives, for one reason or another. If it's driving you crazy, shave it. That's not to say it'll come back the way you want, but I say heck it's worth a shot. I would only ask that you enforce the two week rule... think about it first. :D

manderly
April 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Ouch... I think you guys are being a bit harsh. This is a community devoted to hair, after all, I think it's natural to expect some obsession! It is also supposed to be a community of support...
SippyCup... I say shave it. As a guy, it'll be socially acceptable, and it's kinda cool to get a fresh start every now and then. Several members here have done it at some point in their lives, for one reason or another. If it's driving you crazy, shave it. That's not to say it'll come back the way you want, but I say heck it's worth a shot. I would only ask that you enforce the two week rule... think about it first. :D

I know we are coming off as harsh, but on the old LHC he did the exact same thing, posted several threads about his horrible "breakage", didn't listen to our attempts to soothe him and show him we all have hairs like that and he still cut all his hair off and disappeared from the board for a while.

He's only just returned recently to bemoan his hair yet again. This is all he posts, and then he doesn't listen to a word we say.

So I say to him, shave it off, keep shaving it, because I think he's a bit TOO OCD about his hair and will not find the happiness he needs in order to grow it long.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
I know we are coming off as harsh, but on the old LHC he did the exact same thing, posted several threads about his horrible "breakage", didn't listen to our attempts to soothe him and show him we all have hairs like that and he still cut all his hair off and disappeared from the board for a while.

He's only just returned recently to bemoan his hair yet again. This is all he posts, and then he doesn't listen to a word we say.

So I say to him, shave it off, keep shaving it, because I think he's a bit TOO OCD about his hair and will not find the happiness he needs in order to grow it long.

I think there's an underlying implied insult to the rest of us in SippyCup's threads. He whines about something that most of the rest of us have, and when we offer alternative ways to look at it (see, we all have short hairs that stick out, too) or manage the "problem," we get comments like "Well, I am very particular about how my hair looks," or "the ends flip out and look stupid," the implied insult being that the rest of us put up with looking awful because we're not as particular as he is. So yup - grow it, shave it, or stand in front of the mirror plucking out the offending hairs with tweezers. I don't care.

SippyCup
April 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
I'll be the, what, 10th person so say this... And you're not going to like it...

But I don't think your hair is the issue. I think your mental health and well-being might be, however.

I have actually never seen you post anything other than an alarmest post filled with hair hysterics, which turns into a ten-page thread of moaning and whining. It seems like an attention getting ploy, which is why I never posted before.

But I felt compelled when so many echoed what I was thinking.

You need some mental relaxation time to work out things in your life. Your hair is not the issue.Yes, I'm aware I have mental health issues, one being OCD. I actually hate attention, and I try and fly under the radar.

And, if it's SO blatently obvious to all of you that I'm overly picky about my hair and perhaps have deeper mental problems, how about trying to uplift and encourage me, rather than degrading me and making me feel worse.

I could tell you all about the extent of my mental health, or lack of it, but I suppose that would just make me more of a sook, right?

Shame on all of you, I thought highly of just about everyone on this forum...until now.

To most of you, thanks for nothing.

akurah
April 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Yes, I'm aware I have mental health issues, one being OCD. I actually hate attention, and I try and fly under the radar.

And, if it's SO blatently obvious to all of you that I'm overly picky about my hair and perhaps have deeper mental problems, how about trying to uplift and encourage me, rather than degrading me and making me feel worse.

I could tell you all about the extent of my mental health, or lack of it, but I suppose that would just make me more of a sook, right?

Shame on all of you, I thought highly of just about everyone on this forum...until now.

To most of you, thanks for nothing.

It's because you don't listen, Sippy. I've got as many mental health problems as you do, I guarantee it, but I try to listen to people when I ask for help rather than blatantly ignore their words.

From where we sit, it doesn't look like you are listening or taking to heart ANYTHING we've ever tried to say to help you out. Hence we are highly frustrated, and in some instances, people are becoming hostile because we don't know if you're genuine or if you're trying to yank our chain.

TheSpottedCow
April 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Now is probably not the best time to reply to this but really, so many people have offered you encouragement and let you know your hair is normal, and practically begged you not to cut it short in the first place.
You really don't need to attack the entire forum because someone said you may have some problems (which you just admitted you actually do have).

SippyCup
April 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Now is probably not the best time to reply to this but really, so many people have offered you encouragement and let you know your hair is normal, and practically begged you not to cut it short in the first place.
You really don't need to attack the entire forum because someone said you may have some problems (which you just admitted you actually do have).I am not attacking the entire forum...I like most people here. I was responding to those who were being insensitive to my supposedly, obvious problems.

If they actually cared, they'd say..."right, well Sippy's numerous posts complaining do annoy me, but he obviously has a problem, so perhaps I should look past my own emotional response and offer the poor jerk some help instead of saying get over it, stop complaining, get a life, I do not care" etc.

manderly
April 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
I am not attacking the entire forum...I like most people here. I was responding to those who were being insensitive to my supposedly, obvious problems.

If they actually cared, they'd say..."right, well Sippy's numerous posts complaining do annoy me, but he obviously has a problem, so perhaps I should look past my own emotional response and offer the poor jerk some help instead of saying get over it, stop complaining, get a life, I do not care" etc.

We HAVE. Do you remember the thread where you complained about your "broken" hairs? Do you? Because I remember I stepped out of my office (while at work) and immediately took photos of the top of my head and my little halo hairs in order to post them to make you feel better.

But you didn't. You cut your hair anyway.

And now you found something else to hate.

So the problem young man, lies with your inability to SEE that we HAVE been trying to help and uplift you. It's exasperating to have our kindhearted advice and coddling fall on deaf ears.

Tell me how you would feel if you put the effort into responding to someone's cry for help only to have it be completely glossed over.

Riot Crrl
April 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
It doesn't sound like you have scalp skin problems now, but you might get some if you put Nair or Neet on it. If you would like to go bald, I would recommend razor and/or clippers.

Wow, now I wish I could see the thread of everyone's breakage/baby hairs. :)

SippyCup
April 2nd, 2008, 11:54 PM
We HAVE. Do you remember the thread where you complained about your "broken" hairs? Do you? Because I remember I stepped out of my office (while at work) and immediately took photos of the top of my head and my little halo hairs in order to post them to make you feel better.Yes, I remember. I appreciate that, it was very kind of you. Thanks.

But you didn't. You cut your hair anyway.Yes, I did. I was still unhappy with it.

And now you found something else to hate.OCD.

So the problem young man, lies with your inability to SEE that we HAVE been trying to help and uplift you. It's exasperating to have our kindhearted advice and coddling fall on deaf ears.Why are you addressing me as young man? My username is SippyCup and my real name is Tim, please address me properly as in, not according to my age, especially in a context designed to undermine me.

That aside, I do understand that SOME truly have attempted to assist me, and I appreciate that. Infact if you were to visit all my threads regarding my hair woes, you would see I express my gratitude numerous times in each thread. Your argument of my inability to see help is invalid.

Also, if I keep creating threads which are in one way or another relative, is it not evident that I haven't recieved enough advice, or the correct advice to be able to solve my problems? I am definantly not saying "it's your fault", merely that the nail hasn't quite been hit on the head perhaps?

Tell me how you would feel if you put the effort into responding to someone's cry for help only to have it be completely glossed over.Frustrated. But by now, I hope it is crystal clear any words of advice have not been as you say, "glossed over", they have been read multiple times and have been given many thanks.

Eurydice
April 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Also, if I keep creating threads which are in one way or another relative, is it not evident that I haven't recieved enough advice, or the correct advice to be able to solve my problems? I am definantly not saying "it's your fault", merely that the nail hasn't quite been hit on the head perhaps?

I can't believe I'm posting here again, but dude.

SippyCup. You live in a house with a lawn. LHC lives in the house next door to you. Every couple of months, you come running over to LHC's porch in a panic because your lawn has crabgrass or spots where the grass won't grow or whatever, and you want lawn advice.

Which is fine. But when LHC goes out on the front porch to look over at the Lawn of Sippycup Problems, it becomes clear that the problem isn't your lawn, it's that your damn house is on fire. When LHC tries to point this out to you and gives you advice like "Um, your house appears to be on fire, maybe you should do something about that," you get upset. All you want is advice about your lawn. Which you are very grateful for but don't take. And the next time your house catches on fire, which it does an awful lot, you will be right back over on LHC's porch clamoring for advice about lawn care.

Sippycup. Lawn care advice will never, ever, ever be helpful in stopping your house from burning down. Your problem is not your hair. It's your OCD. Advice on hair care will never, ever, ever fix your problems. Stop expecting it to, and don't be angry with LHC for not giving you haircare advice that fixes your OCD.

For god's sake, your house is on fire. Forget about the stupid lawn and call the fire department.

SippyCup
April 3rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
I can't believe I'm posting here again, but dude.

SippyCup. You live in a house with a lawn. LHC lives in the house next door to you. Every couple of months, you come running over to LHC's porch in a panic because your lawn has crabgrass or spots where the grass won't grow or whatever, and you want lawn advice.

Which is fine. But when LHC goes out on the front porch to look over at the Lawn of Sippycup Problems, it becomes clear that the problem isn't your lawn, it's that your damn house is on fire. When LHC tries to point this out to you and gives you advice like "Um, your house appears to be on fire, maybe you should do something about that," you get upset. All you want is advice about your lawn. Which you are very grateful for but don't take. And the next time your house catches on fire, which it does an awful lot, you will be right back over on LHC's porch clamoring for advice about lawn care.

Sippycup. Lawn care advice will never, ever, ever be helpful in stopping your house from burning down. Your problem is not your hair. It's your OCD. Advice on hair care will never, ever, ever fix your problems. Stop expecting it to, and don't be angry with LHC for not giving you haircare advice that fixes your OCD.

For god's sake, your house is on fire. Forget about the stupid lawn and call the fire department.Amusing and useful analogy, thanks for a laugh :D.

However, I don't expect anyone here to fix my OCD? I just wan't some dang hair advice without people being harsh...I'm posting because I haven't got the right answer yet...not definitive enough!

Cinnamon Hair
April 3rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
I'm posting because I haven't got the right answer yet...not definitive enough!

Well, you could bleach your hair which would cause all the hair to be thinner/finer.

SippyCup
April 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
Well, you could bleach your hair which would cause all the hair to be thinner/finer.Thankyou for the suggestion, but I wanna keep my hair virgin. My problem is not with the thickness of individual strands, rather the unusual ones I described in my first post. Without them, I'd actually like my hair.

manderly
April 3rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
I just wan't some dang hair advice without people being harsh...I'm posting because I haven't got the right answer yet...not definitive enough!

You want advice? So be it:

1) dye your hair to match the dark squiggly ones you don't like
2) ignore them until they grow longer and blend in with the rest of your hair
3) stand in front of a mirror and pluck each one out as you come across them a la S&D

Nairing your head isn't going to do anything but make you really, really bald.

You cannot change the texture of your hair by removing it. Your body is going to produce the exact same texture that you remove. Either embrace it or spend time, effort, and money on fighting it tooth and nail.

Whatever makes you happy.

And Eurydice, thanks for the great laugh.

Nat242
April 3rd, 2008, 02:01 AM
In all honesty, Sippycup, you have been given lots of advice. You say it's not definitive enough, i.e. not what you want to hear, but advice has been given. We're not magicians, we don't have silver bullet that will fix everything for you. Really, what do you want from them/us?

I'm sorry if you feel like people (including myself) have been harsh with you, but I also think that in general people have been very fair and patient with you, even though you keep posting about this "problem". People have been generous with their time and advice and kindness in the past and on this topic, but it's not the answer you want. That's not anyone's fault.

I'm sorry about your OCD. There are many people on LHC that have OCD, including myself. There have been several support threads on this topic in the past. Have you visited those threads?

I feel safe in saying that everyone here wants the best for you, even if our/their patience has worn a little thin.

I hope you find some peace. :cheese:

-- Natalie

Dvips
April 3rd, 2008, 05:59 AM
To get back to the original post... with some highlighting that I added...
Hi :p

Wellllll, after I went from BSL to about 1 or 2 inches (to eliminate damage) I have had quite a lot of unusual pitch black, thick, coarse, bendy hairs grow in amongst my medium to dark brown, medium thick, very smooth, 1b/c hairs and I simply cannot tolerate them.

I am an obsessive person, especially about my hair (as some of you well know :D) and I just need to get rid of them. Ignoring them is not an option and cutting will only make them shorter, so I am thinking of actually going bald...as in using a hair removal cream and starting from scratch...but since this MAY be a hormonal issue, will they regrow in the same manner? Could my hair grow back differently...as in curly and fine (extreme case).

Ideally I'd like to speak to a Dermatologist about my little issue, but that isn't really an option...I told my Dad and he basically laughed at me, saying "it wasn't a big deal", but to me it's a massive deal because my hair would be ideal (to me) without the weird ones :(. I have sent an email to a local Dermatologist outlining my situation, asking what I can do to eliminate further growth of the weird hairs, but I can't really expect too much information, without making an appointment...which requires a referral and costs alot of money.

So, all in all, what's your outlook on this (other than put up with it hahah :D)?

Thankyou so much if you can offer me some help - Tim.

-

So... other than advising you to put up with it and ignore it, because you did tell us that that was advise that you are not interested in, this is what my quick glance at the thread gives me:

- pluck out the ones you don't like
- dye the rest to match at least in color (which we now know won't work since you want virgin hair)
- there is no reason to believe that your hair will grow in differently, but it technically could happen
- if you are unhappy with your hair now, think of how much worse you'll feel growing it out from bald (esp. if the hairs don't change)

I understand members who feel obligated to point out the underlying OCD issue that is affecting how you feel about your hair, and it is in fact a caring thing to do. :flowers: I can see how it causes angst on both sides, but addressing it further in this thread will not resolve the conflict, as you all have tried to clarify your statements several times.

Let's leave SippyCup with the advice we've given, albeit not terrible useful for actually solving the issue of the strange hairs (which seems to have no solution of which we have knowledge) and simply wish him the best of luck of finding some way to deal with this.

If anyone does have a suggestion of how to get rid of these hairs that has not been addressed, please PM SC to share your idea.

Cheers,
Dvips