PDA

View Full Version : Need encouragement

turtlelover
March 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hi! I am growing out a very short cut, and have thick, wavy hair. My hair is starting to get to the awkward length where my hair just makes a pyramid -- there are layers that ordinarily give my hair shape, but the layers are getting longer and growing OUT at this point instead of DOWN (the top layer is only 7 inches long) and just stick out on the sides at this point. I need someone to talk me out of cutting it. PLEASE tell me this stage won't last forever! I look ridiculous. No straightening iron can fix it. I think all that I can do is pull the front back and hope that this horrible pyramid stage will pass. *BLAH*

RancheroTheBee
March 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I'm in the same phase. If you cut now, you're just going to have to go through it again. Believe me, it'll be over in a month or two.

ETA: Okay, that sounded harsh. Just know you're not alone, and it will get better in no time! :flowers:

turtlelover
March 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I was well on my way to growing it out last year, and ended up cutting at an awkward stage. I soooo regret that now!!!! I need these reminders, because I seem to forget how bad I feel when I cave in and get it cut!!!

lora410
March 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM
It is normal for them to grow out and stick up at the edges it will go by fast. I grew from a 2inch cut :)

turtlelover
March 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Wow Lora! You are giving me hope. I guess 7 inches isn't so bad after all! ;)

Unofficial_Rose
March 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I would say clip the sides back to get you through this awkward stage!

spidermom
March 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I would say clip the sides back to get you through this awkward stage!

Is this what you're talking about?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg

With length, it gets a whole lot better.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tbb1.jpg

Hang in there; don't cut. I must admit that I considered the blow dryer and the curling my friends back in those days. I paid for it by having a lot trimmed off as I s l o w l y grew along. These days I'd try different ways of wrapping my head in some sort of covering/hat as well as pulling the sides back, as suggested. Good luck!

Nightshade
March 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Is it possible to French braid it back? French braids hide the ends that tend to stick out better than a Dutch braid :)

ElenTikvah
March 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Can also try rolling the hair back along the side of head and securing with a barette (if you use them) or a hair friendly comb. I loved this style when I was growing out my bangs, as it held all the ends in place. Definately concur with French brand rather than Dutch.

~Tik

maunaloa
March 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
No cutting! :) Also, most folks would love to have your thick hair!

wintersun99
March 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
It is normal for them to grow out and stick up at the edges it will go by fast. I grew from a 2inch cut

I'm growing from a 2" cut too and yes, the top layers that stick out can be so frustrating! I know what you mean. Try to distract yourself, use clips and headbands and hats and remember that it WILL pass :p

Freija
March 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Oh, I've been there several times. But last Easter I stopped getting inches hacked away at a time and now I have pretty, glossy auburn curls past my shoulders! Stick with it - you won't regret it. If it gets too bad, cute hats, bandannas or headscarves can really help - or how about clipping it back? You could use kirbigirps or small hairslides. Maybe even style it back with wax?

Best of luck! It doesn't look too bad from your userpic - and it's getting there! It'll soon be at the stage where you can pull sections back out of your way.

somethingwicked
March 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Agree with the clip it back crowd. Now that I sit here and think about it, I kept the sides and back of my hair back with a barrette for a long time when my hair was in the early stages of growing out from a demi mohawk. That must have been what got me through it.

It will get better before you know it

Coriander
March 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Find some lovely barrettes or clippies to hold back the sides until you get through this phase - I also went through the awkward stuff after "The Big Chop" back in 2004.

You can do it! :cheer:

Silver & Gold
March 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Is this what you're talking about?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg

Oh how I love this picture! I know you meant to show that horrible 'pyramid' stage. (I went through it last year, I wore my hair up and back so as not to see it.) But all I see is that 'spidermom' has a great sense of playfulness.

spidermom
March 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Oh how I love this picture! I know you meant to show that horrible 'pyramid' stage. (I went through it last year, I wore my hair up and back so as not to see it.) But all I see is that 'spidermom' has a great sense of playfulness.

Thanks S&G, I do, don't I?

manderly
March 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Ahhhh, the illustrious mushroom head, eh?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1435.jpg

This too, shall pass.

Get yourself some cute clips and pin up those retarded layers until they hit a decent stage :)

turtlelover
March 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I LOVE that pic, spidermom!!! If nothing else, at least I had a good laugh tonight. That really does sum up the look that my hair has at the moment! :)

maskedrose
March 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Well, I'm very glad to be passed that stage, let me tell you! And it did happen - so don't worry! The turning point for me was when I got to APL (with my shortest layer hanging out between ear and shoulder). Finally things started to settle down and I could wear my hair down without it looking too much like a poufy diamond. It really started to behave around BSL, and now at nearly waist it's wonderful!

You'll get there! I would suggest updos to get you through - peacock twists, french braids, and of course, the basic pony tail.

serenitygal
March 4th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Grin and bear it! When I started here at LHC, my hair looked as though someone had cut it into a typical poodle cut and then attacked it with a rabid lawnmower. It was 2-3" long all over and it was ghastly. I mean, gosh-awful. Words fail when trying to describe the absolute and utter horribleness of it all.
It pretty much stayed horrible for the first year. I had vowed Not To Cut for the first year so as to get the worst of it over as quickly as possible. I clipped it back in jaw clips, I pinned it up in a faux updo in the back to keep it Off My Neck, I used those wide headbands...anything, really.
It looked pretty bad most of the time anyway, to be honest. I have rather thin hair, but it's also wirey and coarse. Not a good combination in a short cut (the person who recommended that cut shouldn't have been LICENSED, but I digress).
Anyhow, I spent most of that time ignoring the way that it looked, but learning to take really good care of it. I oiled it twice a week, and gave myself scalp massages. I learned to stretch washes and to do CO washes. While I really didn't like the way that it looked, I did like the way that it felt: smooth, soft, shiny.
And, yes, it grew. I remember the first time that it was long enough to stay in a French braid all night. It got much better from there. It was worth all that annoyance, I can tell you that.
Hang in there! Most of us have been in a similar spot, and I think we'll all tell you that it does get better, and that it was worth it. :flowers:

hanne jensen
March 5th, 2009, 12:56 AM
DON'T CUT!!!! In Nov. and Dec. last year I had pyramid hair too. I crocheted myself some snoods and smacked my hair up in them every day. Snoods are great for bad hair days. It takes 30 seconds to put one on and if you use bobby pins or small barettes they stay on all day, even in gale force winds.

I found a pattern that was really easy on internet.

You pyramid hair will work FOR you in a snood as it fills out the sides.

That awkward stage only lasted about two months for me. Hang in there!

Nat242
March 5th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I got through it with head bands and scarves, as well as funky clips (twist pieces back and clip).

LutraLutra
March 5th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Ahhhh, the illustrious mushroom head, eh?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1435.jpg
Tee hee! Yup, most ex-shorties know what that feels like :D.

So don't cut, it'll grow, keep pinning it back and one find you'll you'll find you can make a ponytail. Happy growing.:)

turtlelover
March 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I put a bunch of silicone-loaded anti-frizz serum on my hair today, not because it was frizzy, but just to weigh it down. It seems to be doing trick for today.....my hair looks considerably more tame.:cheese:

Fluke
March 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hey, pyramid hair can't be so bad, it worked for Baby didn't it?? :lol:

DelynofRhondda
March 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
TurtleLover do you know how to French Twist? You can try a double-twist as it takes less hair length. And YES!!!!!!! to French Braids. They're, for me, easier to manage when the hair is shorter layered. There are also several 1940s WWII styles where the hair was twisted & rolled in the front and formed into a bun in the back. Also deep side parts (I'm a fan of these for hiding hair happenings...).

It takes a few weeks to pass through each stage of "outward bound" hair growing. If your hair is light weight & thick it will take a bit longer to grow "downward". Consider each stage as a new opportunity to experiment with styles. Play and be creative. It's not an all or nothing proposition with hair. Don't give in and cut it if you want it to grow.

p.s. Any hair accessories you get now (hint, hint) can still be used with longer lengths.

p.p.s. <----my hair was that many when I started ...

may1em
March 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Is it possible to French braid it back? French braids hide the ends that tend to stick out better than a Dutch braid :)

If it's still too short for one French braid, I recommend two. That way each braid is narrower and you can get more hair in it. Also use bobby pins. I used a lot of half-ups at this stage. And bandannas. And gel.

You may also want to look into hair wrapping. Wrapping your hair around your head when just damp and securing with long pins or clips until dry can make it straight temporarily and with minimal damage.

Hang in there. Once you hit shoulder, it will start behaving.

going gray
March 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hang in there, I've been in your position, went through a lot of tough stages, but I stuck it out, DON'T CUT YOUR HAIR. Finally I'm reaping the rewards of having patience & I'm about 22.5", & very happy with my hair!